Need help identifying burned components on HP DV8t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying burned components on HP DV8t

I was playing an HD video on my laptop, and it overheated until it shut down. However, it would not turn back on, and on trying to turn it on, I heard the fizzing sound and smell of something electronic burning out.

I disassembled it and found the trouble spot shown in the picture below. The burned components appear to be labeled "PE45" and "PE48", though it's possible they are "PC45" and "PC48". I thought it looked more like "PE" when I looked at it closely, but in the picture it looks more like "PC".

What are these likely to be?

To make things interesting, after I put the laptop all back together, on a whim, I decided to try and turn it on. It turned on fine and I'm using it now to post this.
    Attached Files

Re: Need help identifying burned components on HP DV8t

look at the 2 below the white connector lower left!and c643 above and right of it.board got flexed or dropped.mlcc crack then flame out.

Comment

My own guess is that these are some hefty capacitors, and that while burned out and sitting on the motherboard, they were shorting out ground and power. After I turned the motherboard over a few times, the shorting bits of metal dislodged and were no longer shorting anything.

But still, suggestions for suitable replacements are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
        look at the 2 below the white connector lower left!and c643 above and right of it.board got flexed or dropped.mlcc crack then flame out.
        I think the ones below the white connector are okay, with just the lighting and the angle making them look funny. But C643 does indeed also look burned out.

Also, this laptop (with its 18" screen) has been sitting on a desk its whole life, so drop/flex theory seems unlikely.
        Last edited by CityZen; 01-27-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Pc43 is also burnt . I think it's lightning ...

Comment

Any attempts to fix this board ? , PC or Palladium capacitors did their job excellently in decoupling the circuits . So it is worth to repair them .

Comment

Working...
            X