Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 off issue - works fine in horizontal position

Hi,

For quite a while now, my rig has been unstable on occasions. During the past week, it was nearly unusable since it would freeze for no reason. I couldn't even go in the BIOS for more than ten seconds, as it would freeze as well.
    After testing and replacing all components (GPU, RAM, CPU, power supply, no hard drive), I came to the conclusion that the motherboard was faulty.

The thing is, on my test bed, it was very stable, I could overclock the CPUs easily, it ran perfectly. But once inside the case, it would freeze again constantly. So I placed the computer horizontally...it hasn't freezed since then...

So there's a "mechanical" issue with the board. My guess is that the CPU cooler is too high and bends the motherboard in vertical position. It's not very heavy, but its height must be making a lever effect. It's a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo. Tall but not very heavy.

Could it be a solder joint issue under the CPU socket ? I'm not sure if those can be reflowed since they are plastic. A strong plastic, but still.

Re: M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 off issue - works fine in horizontal position

I've seen a heavy ATI graphics card sag enough in its slot to not make full contact and cause weird issues. I just pulled the saggy corner up with a cable tie and no more issues.

There are videos of people swapping sockets on YouTube so it is possible.

Comment

iirc, doesnt that cpu cooler come with a backplate to mount underneath the cpu socket to stop the board from warping? i guess somehow it didnt work for you preventing the board from sagging. check if u overtightened the heatsink mounting screws too much. i had a video card become undetectable due to overtightened heatsink screws.

it could also be the other way around due to insufficiently tightened or loose screws so when u put it vertically, the heatsink looses contact with the cpu heatspreader making the cpu overheat and becoming unstable.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I did not overtighten the cooler, I used to be able to rotate the whole thing a few degrees (the mounting system is a bit odd and allows that). The temperatures were fine as well. I had killed a S775 motherboard by overtightening the cooler, so I didn't want to do this mistake again.
        Now that I've reinstalled it, it's a bit tighter and I can't rotate it anymore.

Yes there was a bracket originally, with a metal backing plate. But there's one one the Hyper 212 Evo cooler as well.

Comment

Working...
        X