Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Security Essentials

Link to Article

The above link is about the upcoming MS free antivirus. They no longer require a Live login, etc, and collect no info. All they require is Windows pass WGA. That is a no-brainer with a legit license, and child's play with a patch.

So far, MSE has tested out OK.
    It will uninstall Windows Defender whenever it finds it.
    Good riddance to another useless piece of shit.

MS keeps plugging along and eventually winds up with working products.
    XP sucked, but is favored now.
    Vista sucked, so they repainted the old jalopy and named it Win7.
    Then there was WinME, BOB, and all the other disasters.

Hopefully MSE will do a decent job for free.

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials

Sounds cool, but I doubt it will help too much. The best way to not get a virus or spyware is to keep away from cheesy websites (especially with illegal contents) or view mail attachments from unknown senders. Of course that's not always possible as even a regular web search (be it Google or whatever else) might lead you to a bad website. Still, using some common sense online will save you a lot of trouble.

Comment

I was surprised to see that McAfee Enterprise failed the May 2009 independent test lab. Also Symantec, Panda and a few other big names. This was mentioned in the ZD article above.

Especially amusing was AVG Free passed that same test.

Comment

I'm not too surprised about Symantec and McAfee. They both are too bloated to do anything.
        As far as AVG Free, it's alway's been pretty decent. I liked it's older 7.5 version better, though, as it was much faster and used much less ram than 8.5. Hopefully newer releases of AVG don't go the way of Symantec becoming big resource hogs.

Comment

Working...
        X