My work (e.g: the cool stuff I come by)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My work (e.g: the cool stuff I come by)

I told you I would eventually post it, some of you might say 'wow' to some of this stuff, some of you might say 'iv'e seen better/bigger/more'

lets start shall we?

systems to be refurbished (first 8 left, bottom row) after that, refurbished

tested cd/dvd rw drives

My untested motherboard 'pile'

my work system (x2 4200+, SCSI 36G & SATA raptor 36G, 2G ram, FX 5900 -printer ontop and yes, of course, DR pepper )

Hard drives!

More Hard drives!

OMG MORE F-N HARD DRIVES (that sign says 'to be drilled)

Untested systems. Yes, that is a LOT of dell desktops (we use for parts mostly)

servers/cd duplicators. If you were to look on top of the left shelf, you would see racked mounted switches, a loooot of rack mounted switches

One of my proudest things, my memory testing rigs (memtest86+). from left to right...DDR, Rambus, SDR (yes thats a dual P3, only SDR board I could find with 4 ram slots)

the crem-de-lecrem(?)...my whole workstation. Yes that is a working Albatron 478 motherboard, see below as to why i'm suprised it works

Section 2...the badass stuff I fix/comeby

as to the post above...I found this inside this motherboard. Looks like they used a whole tube of paste when they installed it . was on the motherboard too, I managed to clean i off

Samsung 22", bad caps on power board. replaced them, works beautifully

9800 GTX /w custom cooler. Was thrown from a donation bin into the 'pci card' box. Chipped off a micro-component (coil) that I could not solder back on. I kept the cooler incase we ever run across something else we would need it for (like thats ever going to happen)

the kinds of cool stuff that comes across my desk

I'm proud of this one. DOA. I managed to baarely squeeze a 426 board inside it and put a Duron 1.2 in it. Comes with all you see. Was playtesting it with NSF 2

I'll post more cool things here as the days and weeks go by. all for now. don't I have a cool job or what?

yeah, or what
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: My work (e.g: the cool stuff I come by)

I just noticed how much dr pepper I drink. jeez

Comment

I had a little MSI box box like that shiny one just recently except it had a sony burner and wasn't so shiny. Blue dell in the first pic too, had bad caps on the mobo but surprisingly ran fine.

You guys have lots of space, I envy you.

Comment

Hot wheels computer lol

I remember those. They came with 500mhz Celerons and 64mb of SDRAM IIRC

Comment

not as much as you think

i'll try to get some pics of the scrap room tomorrow (he hard drives racks you saw were part of the scrap room)

oh the Dell XPS? we've had a few of those, I think that one has bad caps, and i'm not sure its worth refurbishing to that point cause its one of the earlier XPS's

Comment

The one I had was p4 3.0ghz. Hope all of those drives aren't platter damage, you could have a nice amount of space.

Comment

I see many Compaq disk arrays.
              You mind parting from two of them, filled with caddies?
              Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

uh well, most of our server stuff is too heavy for us to send out. I don't know, I'll as our manager. You can always drive down here to TX and pick it up lol

Comment

that graphics card looks identical to my GeForce 6800GT..

and an Arctic nv-Silencer 5 wouldn't fit on a GF9800..

---

BTW: could u send me like..*cough* 10 HDDs *cough cough* or something...? *lol*
                  i'm running out of them

the only ones left of my pile are the loud-and-slow-as-hell old 20 and 40GB ones .__.
                  Last edited by Scenic; 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM.

Comment

>>> that sign says 'to be drilled

How do you choose which ones get the drill treatment?

Looks like a fun kind of a job.

Comment

Originally posted by jpdoe
                      >>> that sign says 'to be drilled

How do you choose which ones get the drill treatment?

Looks like a fun kind of a job.
                      Probably whatever client dropped off the PC wanted the drives physically damaged to secure data. The place we dispose of our systems offers this service. Though theirs is a big hydraulic ram that punches holes through, not drills.
                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

So, Uranium... do you get freebies, or do you have to pay for anything that you're interested in using for personal use.
                        Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Uranium, do I have a feeling that a lot of us are starting to suck up to you now?
                          Find Nedry!

Comment

please do not let any of these guys anywhere near that building
                            capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I'd love to work for the local recyclers... unfortunately they're staffed by inmates of the prison who's ground the building sits on...
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

>>> Probably whatever client dropped off the PC wanted the drives physically damaged to secure data.

That makes sense.

>>> I'd love to work for the local recyclers... unfortunately they're staffed by inmates of the prison who's ground the building sits on...

It might be better that way... otherwise you may end up in jail for getting to attached to one or two pieces of hardware

Comment

Originally posted by willawake
                                  please do not let any of these guys anywhere near that building
                                  Don't listen to this man. He's had too many beers today.

What he meant to say was "Please let us tour that building with a shopping cart."
                                  Find Nedry!

Comment

Heh!

What the reason we are not seeing these "rebuilt" machines at trifty stores that you work for?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic
                                      that graphics card looks identical to my GeForce 6800GT..

and an Arctic nv-Silencer 5 wouldn't fit on a GF9800..

---

BTW: could u send me like..*cough* 10 HDDs *cough cough* or something...? *lol*
                                      i'm running out of them

the only ones left of my pile are the loud-and-slow-as-hell old 20 and 40GB ones .__.
                                      thats right! it was a 7800 GTX. That was a few weeks ago so I forget

we're actually starting to get plenty of 120's or so, we have 20 all the way up to 250, but our pricing system is messed up. They charge $.50/gig. Which is all nice and good, up until about 80GB, after that, you can get bigger stuff cheaper new. But our 69-year-old ex-army master sargent boss is waay to stubborn about prices to change this. Most of us are waiting for him to die, but he dosen't seem to be going anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                        Heh!

What the reason we are not seeing these "rebuilt" machines at trifty stores that you work for?

Cheers, Wizard
                                        Dallas/Ft worth goodwill is the only one with the computer store in DFW (its also the corporate office). Its also a small freaking store, so we dont' take in as much as we hope.

We also sell laptops, but our boss and a part-time lady does that. We do ebay stuff, heres our page

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/goodwi...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ

Comment

Working...
                                        X