Shame on you Corsair! (Capxon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shame on you Corsair! (Capxon)

Well, as I said, polymers are probably one, maybe more levels above their crappy wet electrolytics but nothing is confirmed so far. On the other hand, bad polymers from worst of the worst manufacturers has already been reported here, on some graphics I think.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

they did a little better on revision 2.3. they use a 220uF United Chemi-Con on the primary now. But everything else on the secondary is still CrapXon
      I only paid $15 after the rebate but still don't understand why these companies continue to use those crap caps. It just causes more headaches and lost revenue from RMA's and DOA's. If the price was $25 after the rebate it's still a great deal. maybe use the extra $10 to put in better caps? The total cost of the replacement caps I bought is around $10

Comment

Actually, it doesn't that much. They all expect customers to not load it to full power, and most of them do not. People who buy this cheap stuff are the people who believe all those manufacturers etc. telling them to buy those paper watts, and they do so no harm done in the end.

Problem is if somebody sometimes loads it to max. And the rest is problem of something else than bad caps as even these crapxons will handle those 2-3 years of moderate use and than warranty expires.

People who know how good PSU looks like and who buy such know they can run it at 100 % of nominal power continuous 24/7, and there won't be a problem.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

all Corsair care about is the bottom line. CrapXon and the other crap cap makers are the same way. they will cut every corner to make a profit. If you are lucky to get a cap that won't leak or explode the maximum life is only 2 or 3 years. I pulled too many of those crap caps out of devices to know never use them. I never in my life pulled a bad Nichicon or Panasonic. no way I'm going to plug anything with a Crapxon cap into my brand new motherboard. they could have at least but a few good caps on the secondary. did they ALL have to be CrapXon

Comment

It lasts more if you are not harsh on it, and that's what they rely on. Even most Bluestorms II (and their OEM versions) lasted 4-5 years on average.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              I hate to dig up an old thread, but Corsair's new RM650 and RM550 use almost entirely CapXon on the output (although the 5vsb has NCC). The worst part is, it's fanless for the first 250W or so
              Yeah Old thread, but the RM no longer uses Crapxon and Lshit. It looks like the new revision using 100% UCC caps, both for primary and secondary. Also the manufacturing looks way different now, perhaps someone else is making them for Corsair now.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by User; 01-05-2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

nice, KZH with heatsinks both sides.
                i wonder how long they will last like that.

Comment

Niiiiiiiice!!! Hopefully, corsair quietly changed (they never specifically said they did, though), or maybe they chop and change on them depending on what they have in stock, and you just got lucky.

btw, that's the RM750. It never did use CapXon, since the RM750 and 850 were made by a different OEM (Chicony). They usually used LTEC on the secondary side (which are about on par with CapXon in terms of quality from my experience). Delta often gets away with using LTEC, but they fail a lot for everyone else.

EDIT: No, the Chicony-built RM series PSUs are now discontinued. Corsair uses CWT for all RM series models now.
                  Last edited by c_hegge; 01-07-2015, 02:13 PM.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Quite honestly, I was surprised as well, but I sincerely hope it was not just my luck. There has been quite a few discussions on various forums regarding Corsair cutting corners. Perhaps they finally got the message? who knows...

Comment

For their customers' sake, I hope Corsair is acquiring genuine NCC capacitors.
                      They usually used LTEC on the secondary side (which are about on par with CapXon in terms of quality from my experience).
                      LTEC's general purpose capacitors do have a penchant for drying up very fast with no discernible cause (similar to 4mm-8mm Teapos). However, IMO, their low ESR capacitors are MUCH better than CapXon. Yes LTEC capacitors of all kinds fail enough to be considered bad but if you compare the ratio of failed LTECs to failed CapXons there is no comparison. CapXon fail very fast in well cooled and ventilated equipment whereas Delta have proven that LTECs can last if kept cool enough, at least for a while. But that doesn't go without saying that CapXons are commonly found bad because they're (unfortunately) a very popular choice of capacitors in OEM equipment.
                      Originally posted by stj View Post
                      nice, KZH with heatsinks both sides.
                      i wonder how long they will last like that.
                      Hard to say. I say that because if you read this thread, in a DPS-800GB, it didn't take long for a KZH on the -12V rail to blow its bung out and halt the PSU's operation (at the bottom of the page). That sounds similar to the way KZGs and KZJs fail. Also, if you look at this thread you'll see a 1000uF 16V 8x20 Chemi-con KZM bulge and the other 1000uF 16V 8x20 Chemi-con KZGs (on the VRM input of a Socket 754 board) look visibly okay (though a couple 6.3V ones failed as usual, and KZM is supposed to be the "long life" version of KZH). I know a couple failures isn't much to go by but knowing Chemi-con's history with KZG, KZJ, and all capacitor series equivalent and lower from them in terms of ESR... it also could have just been that the OP's PSU was bad as well, and the fact that all those VCORE high capacitors are right up against two heatsinks. Or it could be bad seals (why they fail without bloating often). Chemi-con claims, in their datasheets, that their KY, KZE, KZG, and KZJ series of capacitors all use the same "special, low resistivity" electrolyte, yet we all know that KZG and KZJ have a bad formula, but never see KYs and KZEs fail like that ever (KZHs were claimed to have used a "unique water base electrolyte" - may as well be the same thing).

I'm not trying to knock Chemi-con or call out KZHs as unreliable as I have never seen any fail myself. Chemi-con do generally produce excellent quality capacitors.

EDIT: The KZM might be a replacement for a bad KZG but it still kind of looks to me like it's bulging in the second picture which is why I brought it up. It might just be the picture, though.
                      Last edited by Wester547; 01-05-2015, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Speaking of UCC...I just recapped Old Gigabyte with bursted KZJ in it , yeah they certainly had bad batches for sure, but I personally had never seen bad KZE or KZH.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I remember some people from Corsair saying that Japanese caps would only be used in positions where caps would fail under warranty.

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                          Also, if you look at this thread you'll see a 1000uF 16V 8x20 Chemi-con KZM bulge and the other 1000uF 16V 8x20 Chemi-con KZGs (on the VRM input of a Socket 754 board) look visibly okay (though a couple 6.3V ones failed as usual, and KZM is supposed to be the "long life" version of KZH).
                          The KZM looks like the replacement for a bad KZG. Only the three leaking KZGs were replaced, and KZE and KZM series caps were used.
                          Last edited by lti; 01-05-2015, 11:07 PM.

Comment

^
                            Yup. The KZM never failed in that thread. It was simply what was used to replace the bad one.
                            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

the primary 220uF 400v Chemi-Con I yanked from the CX430 (rev. 2.3) is the SMQ series. It figures they would use the bottom series. It was also out of tolerance. it only measured 170uF. It just said "SMQ" on the front with no vertical markings. The Nichicon cap I replaced it was only 5% out. So if anybody buys the CX430 the primary cap might be way out of tolerance.

Comment

You'd shit if you seen the life my vx lives now. It's a nasty dirty world in that box.

Comment

Originally posted by User View Post
                                  Speaking of UCC...I just recapped Old Gigabyte with bursted KZJ in it , yeah they certainly had bad batches for sure, but I personally had never seen bad KZE or KZH.
                                  Problem is that you can never know if it was a bad quality cap or misuse, especially if caps are used in some kind of VRMs...

And that looks like it's a Socket 939 or even 754 board...

Comment

KZE and KZH should have different electrolyte than KZG/KZJ. They are being used for many many years now in all kinds of power supplies, I do not know about a single failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                                      Problem is that you can never know if it was a bad quality cap or misuse, especially if caps are used in some kind of VRMs...

And that looks like it's a Socket 939 or even 754 board...

This was my old s 939 board that was laying around in my pile of old parts. The visibly bad KZJ failed long time ago I just never bothered fixing it since I was doing major upgrade. The reason I fixed is because I wanted to build gaming pc to play old win xp games.
                                      The point is that KZJ and KZG have been known to fail under light use and we'll ventilated area.
                                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb0sg8QavDI similarly what happened to this board.
                                      Last edited by User; 01-14-2015, 07:31 PM. Reason: Hate typing on my Phone

Comment

Yeah, they'll fail pretty much anywhere. But on your board, they were doomed for a very early death being on the VRM low side, plus getting all the warm air coming off the CPU heatsink

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                          Yeah, they'll fail pretty much anywhere. But on your board, they were doomed for a very early death being on the VRM low side, plus getting all the warm air coming off the CPU heatsink
                                          Yep... Works good now...
                                          Last edited by User; 01-14-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X