Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI 848P Neo-V / MS-6788

Hi all

Fresh to the forum, looking for a solution to this capacitor plague. I keep getting struck down with this and I am getting really fed up with it! I have lost quite a few boards over the years and was always forced to buy new. I cannot do this anymore as I use the machines for recording TV.

I have an MSI 848P Neo-V with one single domed/blown capacitor. It blew on the 13th Dec along with a rank smell, there is no gunk or burn marks. It sits between the last pci slots. Very strange how only one has failed? The board still posts and seems to work ok, just every and then will fail to post properly or needs a reset or two. All the other caps around the cpu and agp socket appear to be intact.

I initially thought about just replacing that single capacitor but now I want the whole lot swapped out. I am in the UK so im a bit stuck, nobody local to me will entertain it. Then I also would like to re-cap two brand new boards that are known to have rubbish caps on them.

Thanx guys

Re: MSI 848P Neo-V / MS-6788

I see 4 OST caps. 4 big ones, and for little ones. But this board was a review sample. All the other noteworthy caps are Panasonic. Can you post a pic of your board?
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

The picture is exactly the same as my board! Even the northbridge heatsink is the same type. I have seen these boards with slightly different neatsinks fitted.

All the large capacitors look ok. No nasty smells or anything but I dont know their true condition. I have circled the one that has failed here:

I shall get a photo sorted out and write down what these caps are.

Comment

Are the capacitors shown in this picture the same as yours?

The capacitors in the picture I posted is from a board sent by MSI to a review site, so it's possible that is was cherry-picked. What you should determine is if the capacitors on your board are the same as the ones shown in our picture (The ones in the picture are all Panasonics, save for four, which are probably OST). The one that you circled is a Panasonic, so if you have a Panasonic in that position on your board and it failed, then I would suspect your power supply of killing it.

Open up your power supply and have a look inside.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

My geuss is that his board uses an OST in that position, since MSI seem to use Panny, Chemi-con, Teapo and OST interchangably.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Ah yes I suspected this already! The psu has failed to the point it would emit a "squealing" noise when the machine was in standby. I whipped the psu out whilst cleaning things up the other day. It is an Antec 350SP Smartpower and they have a bad rep from what I have gleamed from google. I took the lid off and found what I was looking for. Four caps are domed and one large primary cap looks domed aswell. This was done straight after the rancid smell incident.

I also have a theory it killed my vantec nexus which is a fan controller with 3 fan channels and a dual cathode inverter built in. A small regulator which sits next to an inverter/transformer has burnt which led me to believe the cathode had failed, the cathode has been tested ok. Sodding computers lol.

I shall whip the side panel off the case again and note the caps down. Then I will be forced to fish out an unused Asrock board which I hope is ok and will last long enougth to get things sorted out.

Oh BTW everyone thanx for helping

Comment

Every single cap on this board appears to be purple OST's.

The single failed cap has vented gas upwards and some silk screening has turned a nicotine like brown. yuk lol.

EDIT: Going to strip it out tomorrow and then get all the value's off the caps.

Comment

Probably RLX series.

OST (Only Some Trash) are known for failing without bloating, so several others could also have failed. https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...roducts_id=131 would be good replacments

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Altaira - Looks like you have a big job ahead of you. Which PSU do you have now?

Comment

Originally posted by Altairat8te38 View Post
                    The psu has failed to the point it would emit a "squealing" noise when the machine was in standby.
                    My friend has the same PSU and he "put up" with the squealing for months until the 5V standby went really high (11V DC) and killed/fried his Intel motherboard.

If I recall correctly, the 22uF 50V was causing the squealing. He also had 2 bloated 1000uF 10V.
                    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                      Altaira - Looks like you have a big job ahead of you. Which PSU do you have now?
                      It is an Antec 350SP Smartpower...
                      Does that Answer your question?

Comment

No. Read the post again. It seems very unlikely that anyone sane enough would continue to use such an obviously defective PSU.

Comment

Guys this psu was ok but then one night the smell came but there was no signs of a real problem. Just the smell and the machine didnt even twitch! No crashes, bluescreens nothing. Only when I realised where the smell was coming from did I pull the power cord. Then re-applying the power (which I admit was dumb!) did I notice the squealing noise. I knew something was badly wrong and then proceeded to extract the tower from its resting place. I have 4 machines connected to an Aten 4port usb kvm and two are connected to a satellite box for recording. I just switched over to another machine and then whipped the side panel off the borked machine. Expected to find something burnt or at least some evidence of damage. At first only acres of dust and a rancid psu. Then after a while cleaning I found the popped cap. It was only until opening the psu did I find the real damage. The psu will be stripped of its wires and fans, the rest in going in the bin! I wont even bother recapping it tbh as I will never trust it again.

I have put in an FSP Bluestorm Pro II 500 watt but have not even attempted to power anything up. I have a pair of new asrock boards, the plan is to use one as a stop gap, get the msi along with one asrock board recapped. Then when they come back I shall hopefully rebuild using the msi. Then send the second asrock board in for a recapping. I want to get a supply of boards in all recapped and kept as spares.

Big job ahead arghhhh lol.

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                            My friend has the same PSU and he "put up" with the squealing for months until the 5V standby went really high (11V DC) and killed/fried his Intel motherboard.

If I recall correctly, the 22uF 50V was causing the squealing. He also had 2 bloated 1000uF 10V.
                            The squealing was just suddenly there! I would not have been using it like that no way... just how it happend got me, the 4 towers were all find which for a minute or two had me scratching my head wondering where the smell was coming from lol... This msi board was so good it just didnt even flinch.

Comment

Ok guys I have had the side panel off and noted some info down:

5 x OST 3300uf 6.3v 105c
                              4 x OST 1500uf 16v 105c
                              3 x OST 1500uf 6.3v 105c
                              13 x OST 1000uf 6.3v 105c

I have ignored two tweeny little caps on the bottom right hand corner. Should I have these replaced or go with the general idea that they are so small it aint worth it?

I need to find a reliable method of measuring these things aswell, tried with a ruler earlier but it was too big. Will have to pull the board to do a proper job.

Comment

If the tweeny wienies are 4 or 5 mm diameter and 105C they rarely cause a problem.
                                [Rarely means rarely, not never...]
                                6mm are 50/50/90 %. [Anyone's guess.]
                                OST fail without bloating so if you are having problems they should all go.
                                Can't tell you what to use in their place without knowing the series of OST and their physical size. [In mm.]
                                You should also check all your MOSFETs and the chipset for signs of overheating which might present as just shiny spots all the way up to cracked or chunks missing.
                                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                -
                                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                -

Comment

I glanced at the mosfets and they look ok! I shall get these sizes sorted asap

EDIT: Looking around the board I can see random caps with RLX on them.

Comment

Here's the data sheet.
                                    You want replacements with.
                                    - The same or more Ripple.
                                    - The same or less ESR
                                    [Impedance = ESR the way they did their data sheet.]
                                    Attached Files

-
                                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                    -
                                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                    -

Comment

tried with a ruler earlier but it was too big.
                                      Printable ruler.

http://www.vendian.org/mncharity/dir3/paper_rulers/
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                        Well that's just slicker 'en,, ,,,, well it's slick.

-

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X