MSI MD-7226 K9N Diamond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI MD-7226 K9N Diamond

A few weeks ago, I discovered that my gaming rig would no longer power up and immediately jumped to the conclusion that I had another cheap power supply failure (when will I ever learn?). After installing a fresh PS, I was dismayed to find that the PC still would not boot. I tore down the computer and immediately noticed that several caps near the PCI-e slots were bulged and leaking. I'd heard a few rumbles here and there about bad capacitors and a Google search led me here.

After wading through these forums, I determined that I had indeed been beset by the well-known Chemicon KZG problem. Fortunately, it seems that MSI only used these problem caps in one critical area: the PCI-Express slots. All of the caps around the CPU are Sanyo and Panasonic. There are a few other KZG's in other areas on the board but not in any likely high-current areas, I hope. I just ordered enough new capacitors to replace the ones near the slots and with any luck, I'll have my gaming rig back up and running even though I haven't done any PC gaming for almost a year.

With what I've learned here, I know I'll be checking other boards and power supplies for bad caps at the first sign of trouble and do a pre-emptive recap on any that look questionable.

Re: MSI MD-7226 K9N Diamond

if you have a pci video card, try to put that in there and see if it will boot up

I hope the KGZ's didn't burn your video card out. if you have another rig try to put it in there to verify it works
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Unfortunately, the motherboard won't even power up for more than about 0.5 seconds. I suspect that the bad caps are keeping one or more voltages from coming up to spec within the allotted time (500ms, iirc) and causing an immediate shutdown.

I figure a $20 gamble on a $180 motherboard is worth a shot. If it fails,I'll just take the plunge and upgrade to a new AM3+ board and CPU.

Comment

What brand of power supply are you using?

Comment

Also try it with the ATX12V CPU connecotr un-plugged. That may just tell us what part of the board is at fault. If it powers on with the 12V connector out, the one of your VRM MOSFETs is probably shorted.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
          X