How do I By Pass a password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I By Pass a password

A customer left an HP Mini 1000 with a bad power supply. I fixed the power supply. The customer has not picked up the unit in many months nor shown any interest in it at all since leaving it. I guess it's mine now.

Problem: Unit boots to screen asking for password. I don't know it or what operating system it uses. I tried to get it to default to the admin by Alt+clrl and double clicking del but it just restarts. It does pause a moment to ask F9, F10 entry into bios but it does not respond to either key.

Suggestions.

Re: How do I By Pass a password

what OS?
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

I'm not joking but make d@mm sure it's not been reported stolen before bypassing passwords or keeping it.

If the local authorities clears it and you can't get a hold of the owner, then I'll be more than happy to help you.

You meet the customer, not me. So do know or trust him/her enough to believe it's not stolen or report stolen for an insurance claim?

Comment

Sounds like Win 7 Home. You need to allow the password for admin account from within the system before it does this. (bass-ackwards) Otherwise you'll need a boot disk with a password reset program.

I had one like this 6 months ago. Now where's that posting....

Found! - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11912

Toast

Oh yeah - Send them a letter by 1st Class and Certified-Return Receipt before you go hanging on to the unit. That way if you're ever questioned, you have proof that you 1) contacted them and 2) attempted to return it. Do include model and serial numbers of the unit in the letter. -T
        Last edited by Toasty; 05-05-2011, 10:04 AM.
        veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by kikkoman View Post
          what OS?
          I don't know the operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by cmj21973 View Post
            I'm not joking but make d@mm sure it's not been reported stolen before bypassing passwords or keeping it.

If the local authorities clears it and you can't get a hold of the owner, then I'll be more than happy to help you.

You meet the customer, not me. So do know or trust him/her enough to believe it's not stolen or report stolen for an insurance claim?
            I have been operating here since 1974. I know my clientele very well. I feel certain that this is simply a case of buyers remorse. The young lady in question was called and we left a message. She was sent a follow up letter. Both messages contained the repair cost. To my mind she decided to replace it. I've seen similar mini laptops at $200 to $300 brand new. She probably just went out and bought something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
              Sounds like Win 7 Home. You need to allow the password for admin account from within the system before it does this. (bass-ackwards) Otherwise you'll need a boot disk with a password reset program.

I had one like this 6 months ago. Now where's that posting....

Found! - https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11912

Toast

Oh yeah - Send them a letter by 1st Class and Certified-Return Receipt before you go hanging on to the unit. That way if you're ever questioned, you have proof that you 1) contacted them and 2) attempted to return it. Do include model and serial numbers of the unit in the letter. -T
              I know the laws about such matters quite well. I am not concerned. BTW This little unit has no disk drive. Only USB.

Comment

So, you'll need a bootable USB flash drive then.

Is it Win 7 ?

"Disk" in this day and age should be taken in context for whatever the device is or takes.

Toast
                veritas odium parit

Comment

From your description, it sounds more like a BIOS/boot/HDD encryption password than it does an OS password... Can you confirm?

Comment

Originally posted by Village Electronics View Post
                    I have been operating here since 1974. I know my clientele very well. I feel certain that this is simply a case of buyers remorse. The young lady in question was called and we left a message. She was sent a follow up letter. Both messages contained the repair cost. To my mind she decided to replace it. I've seen similar mini laptops at $200 to $300 brand new. She probably just went out and bought something new.
                    I appauligize if I offending you, JCMA and yours.

Hopeful this will help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6934404_do-p...ini-1000_.html

Comment

Originally posted by cmj21973 View Post
                      I appauligize if I offending you, JCMA and yours.

Hopeful this will help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6934404_do-p...ini-1000_.html
                      Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
                        So, you'll need a bootable USB flash drive then.

Is it Win 7 ?

"Disk" in this day and age should be taken in context for whatever the device is or takes.

Toast
                        I'm behind the times but ahead of my contemporaries.

Comment

Working...
                        X