Hot air rework station to reflow a BGA chip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot air rework station to reflow a BGA chip

Will a Hot air rework station work to reflow a BGA chip?

I have a laptop motherboard that needs the southbridge chip reflowed. I can not deside if I should just buy a new motherboard for $50. Buy a hot air rework station for $100 and try and reflow it myself.

I cant see paying $100+ for a reball/reflow when I can get a new board for $50. And I cant see paying $50 for a reflow when I can get a new board for $50. But maybe paying $100 for the hot air rework station and fixing the board I have. Then maybe I could pay off the station doing a few more reflows?

Looking for suggestions please.

Re: Hot air rework station to reflow a BGA chip

Yes, it works. Use a lot of flux and you'll be fine. In fact the only trick for a lasting reflow is that you'll need a special tip for your hot air station to make the flux go under the chip.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Ok maybe this is a dumb question but how do i get the flux under the chip. Should I heat it untill I can remove it with the suction arm then add flux and place it back on the board? Or is there flux I can somehow get under the chip before I heat it so I dont have to move the chip and risk it being moved and not making proper contact.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
        Ok maybe this is a dumb question but how do i get the flux under the chip.
        That's the point. You can buy a special angled tip that you use to get the flux under the chip.
        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

Ok so I never have to move the chip just add flux around the edges and use the proper tip on the hot air gun? What type of flux should I use?

Comment

Obviously the "no clean" type because it's gonna STAY in there.

Comment

There's a seller on eBay that has liquid flux from Kester. Sells it in 1.25 ounce bottles with buy 2 get one free deal. Fast ship.

It's Kester type 951 and is crystal clear and like alcohol in its flow characteristics. The solvent flashes off and leaves the flux in place. Just tip the board and let it flow under the chip, then do the same to the next side. It should run out the adjacent side both times.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130498007259

seller: joelouis2600

veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                Will a Hot air rework station work to reflow a BGA chip?

I have a laptop motherboard that needs the southbridge chip reflowed. I can not deside if I should just buy a new motherboard for $50. Buy a hot air rework station for $100 and try and reflow it myself.

I cant see paying $100+ for a reball/reflow when I can get a new board for $50. And I cant see paying $50 for a reflow when I can get a new board for $50. But maybe paying $100 for the hot air rework station and fixing the board I have. Then maybe I could pay off the station doing a few more reflows?

Looking for suggestions please.
                That depend on the size of the BGA chip. I will say no to using a Hot air station on a BGA CHIP that size. you will most likely damage the board or the BGA chip in the process. Assuming you buy a strong enough Hot air station
                Last edited by ecking767; 07-15-2011, 06:22 PM.

Comment

I thought the idea behind reflow was not to remove the chip but just reflow the solder. Reballing would require removing the chip but that requires much more than a hotair rework station. The chip isnt that big and there are nozzles that are the proper size, I think its a safe bet to give it a try.

Comment

Just have in mind that a hot air station might not be enough..You will need a preheater to heat the board from the bottom,so when you apply heat to the chip with the hot air station it is much easier to melt the solder(with enough solder flux of course)..
                    The flux Toasty linked is very low quality it probably will not do the job..The right flux for the job is in a gel like form,not liquid..
                    It also is much more expensive than $3 .. Just a result I found on Google: http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8341.html
                    In my opinion don't try it just for one board..
                    Last edited by Joun; 07-27-2011, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X