Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WD actually listens?

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=810

Red Drive series for NAS application uses. Awesome now I can use them on my new fileserver.

Re: WD actually listens?

RPM is pegged as "Intellipower"... could that mean those are 5400RPM as with the green drives (only time will tell, maybe)? And a MTBF of 1,000,000 hours is kind of unusual in juxtaposition with a 3 year warranty (IMO), even though MTBF says little about lifespan by comparison. Good to see the red drives are rated at 600,000 load cycles like the WD notebook drives and VelociRaptor drives, too.
    Last edited by Wester547; 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM.

Comment

But how does it handle errors?
      Does it go away and contemplate life for many seconds and cause the RAID controller to fail it, or do they allow it to let the controller handle the error?

These days drive manufacturers make you pay the "enterprise tax" to get that "feature"
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

'twas on newegg and saw that on the first hard drive page. I was like, woah, great, another color
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
          RPM is pegged as "Intellipower"... could that mean those are 5400RPM as with the green drives (only time will tell, maybe)? And a MTBF of 1,000,000 hours is kind of unusual in juxtaposition with a 3 year warranty (IMO), even though MTBF says little about lifespan by comparison. Good to see the red drives are rated at 600,000 load cycles like the WD notebook drives and VelociRaptor drives, too.
          Green WD are rarely 5400 rpm

In their papers they said they're factory set at speed between 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm, depending on how good the motor is and where they find the motor won't go over a certain wattage.
          I personally heard the majority are at about 5800 rpm.

Seems like this is the case with these drives as well, check the datasheet:

Intellipower = A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. For each drive model, WD may use a different, invariable RPM.

Other than this, apparently they have some NAS related stuff in firmware - maybe stuff that can be used with some NAS boxes that license the tech from WD.

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
            Green WD are rarely 5400 rpm

In their papers they said they're factory set at speed between 5400 rpm and 7200 rpm, depending on how good the motor is and where they find the motor won't go over a certain wattage.
            I personally heard the majority are at about 5800 rpm.

Seems like this is the case with these drives as well, check the datasheet:

Intellipower = A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance. For each drive model, WD may use a different, invariable RPM.

Other than this, apparently they have some NAS related stuff in firmware - maybe stuff that can be used with some NAS boxes that license the tech from WD.
            I was always of the impression that "Intellipower" was just an opulent front for being 5400RPM. If I remember correctly the Green drives always vibrated audibly at 90Hz (5400RPM), whereas 7200RPM drives vibrate at 120Hz in terms of sound, though I could be wrong on that. And I don't see how "Intellipower" could be a power saving feature since varying between 5400RPM and 7200RPM defeats the very idea of doing that. ^^; (spinning up and down a drive costs the most in terms of power) I also thought that it was physically infeasible for a drive to "change" its RPM speed in any other manner other than spinning down and up completely (like a drive going to sleep and being "woken" up), for the same reason why users cannot set 5400RPM drives to operate at say, 4200RPM.

I might be wrong, but I thought for sure that like Scorpio Blue drives, all Greens were 5400RPM and Intellipower was just marketing prattle. Needless to say, I don't know what "Intellipower" means in the case of the Red drives; it could mean 5900RPM or anything like.

Comment

This is just RE edition cut down to 5400RPM... Wonder how much they'll be.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
              X