No announcement yet.

Samsung TV On Off Cycle Bad Capacitors, PLEASE READ, I need your help guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung TV On Off Cycle Bad Capacitors, PLEASE READ, I need your help guys

Hello new to this forum.

I got a Samsung LN46a650, 2 years ago My tv wouldn't turn on and I found out the Caps on the TV went bad. luckily I had a warranty and the service tech's replaced the motherboard. Now 2 years later im starting to get the same problem. Tv shutting off by itself and taking a while to turn back on. The TV is bout to go out completely. Now im SOL no warranty, and not much money 2 fix.

I have read this whole thread and there seems to be some good stuff in it.

Can some1 LINK me to which Caps I need and where I can buy them ??

Also I have no Soldering Gun experience what so ever, should I even attempt to repair. Can some1 help me out on what I need to do and what materials I need ?? (looking at guns on amazon)

also another off topic question, I have a Inifinity PS12 subwoofer, The caps also went bad on it, I found out by taking out the amp and found the caps burned off and One fell off. I think it has 2 caps

dont know much on these but it reads: elytone 6.8uf+10% ... 100v np

If some1 can LINK me some caps for that also I would appreciate it.

Im looking at Soldering Gun's on amazon. what else do I need ??

please some1 help, would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time guy's
    Last edited by Throwback420; 04-11-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwback420 View Post
      Hello new to this forum.

I got a Samsung LN46a650, 2 years ago My tv wouldn't turn on and I found out the Caps on the TV went bad. luckily I had a warranty and the service tech's replaced the motherboard. Now 2 years later im starting to get the same problem. Tv shutting off by itself and taking a while to turn back on. The TV is bout to go out completely. Now im SOL no warranty, and not much money 2 fix.

I have read this whole thread and there seems to be some good stuff in it.

Can some1 LINK me to which Caps I need and where I can buy them ??

Also I have no Soldering Gun experience what so ever, should I even attempt to repair. Can some1 help me out on what I need to do and what materials I need ?? (looking at guns on amazon)

also another off topic question, I have a Inifinity PS12 subwoofer, The caps also went bad on it, I found out by taking out the amp and found the caps burned off and One fell off. I think it has 2 caps

dont know much on these but it reads: elytone 6.8uf+10% ... 100v np

If some1 can LINK me some caps for that also I would appreciate it.

Im looking at Soldering Gun's on amazon. what else do I need ??

please some1 help, would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time guy's
      Take the TV apart, and examine the capacitors. Replace all of the power supply caps. If you don't know hoe to interpret the information, read the FAQ.

I suggest ordering Panasonic FR, FM, or FC series caps from Digikey.

If you need additional help, take pictures (see my signature for how to get good ones), and attach them using 'Manage Attachments (below the test entry area).

On your subwoofer, post the question in the 'Audio Equipment' area.

And in your next post, forget about all the cute abbreviations. Write words out just like you were turning in English homework. It makes it much more readable and increases your chances of getting help.

PlainBill
      Last edited by PlainBill; 04-11-2011, 06:41 PM.
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
        Take the TV apart, and examine the capacitors. Replace all of the power supply caps. If you don't know hoe to interpret the information, read the FAQ.

I suggest ordering Panasonic FR, FM, or FC series caps from Digikey.

If you need additional help, take pictures (see my signature for how to get good ones), and attach them using 'Manage Attachments (below the test entry area).

On your subwoofer, post the question in the 'Audio Equipment' area.

And in your next post, forget about all the cute abbreviations. Write words out just like you were turning in English homework. It makes it much more readable and increases your chances of getting help.

PlainBill
        Thanks for the help. I went to that digikey site, How do I know what caps I need ?? Dont really understand all that termanolgy on that site ...

Comment

Originally posted by Throwback420 View Post
          Thanks for the help. I went to that digikey site, How do I know what caps I need ?? Dont really understand all that termanolgy on that site ...
          Somewhere in my dozens of posts is a step by step process to locate replacement caps. It's due of an update. Here is what you do.

Find a ruler (metric is preferred), a sheet of paper, and a pen, pencil, or crayon.

Measure the height and diameter of one of the bulging caps. On the capacitor you will see some information. One I replaced recently said

Samwah
          10 V
          3300uF
          105°C (M)

On the back it said

U4A

The important information above is
          12mm (the diameter)
          25mm (the height)
          10 V (the voltage)
          3300 uF (the capacitance)

Post the information on at least one of the capacitors. I'll use that as an example to write a new procedure. You can then use the procedure to locate replacements. IF you post your proposed replacements, someone will verify they are the proper parts.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Glad to have found this forum today. Have an LN52S650A1F. Same issues, turns off/on consistanly. No pic.

Samsung says upgrade firmware. Their firmware file says 5/2010. however when I download it it says 2007 so not even sure I can find a newer firmware file. if anyone knows or has alink to a newer version, that would be great. However, I am confident that will not fix the issue.

I will take the TV down, open it up and try to find the capacitors. then post pics pleading for next steps! LOL.

THanks!

Comment

turns out after calling Samsung, they are sending out a tech to fix the capacitor issue (if its not a capacitor issue, there will be a service call) fee. The TV is almost 3 years old but they are still doing a free service call! Way to go Samsung! Glad the on-line chat support ask for the serial number (which is conveniently located on the right side of tv). Once he had that it was immediate indication of a free service call.

Comment

Had the same problem with my Samsung LN52A750. After doing research and reading this forum and other places. Opened up my TV. Sure enough, two blown capacitors (you will see the bulge on top of cap) Checked out some videos on youtube. Went to Radio Shack and got two 1000uf 30v capacitors along with a soldering iron for a total of $12.35. Took out the two bad capacitors and put the new ones in. The TV turned on with the first try. Never soldered anything before this. Just check out some video on youtube. Anyone can do it. Thanks everyone for posting the solution!

Comment

Only problem of this is, when you use some no-name caps from local shop, there is pretty big chance they will die again.

Depends on design but we have seen everything from just burned fuses up to burned transformators or whole data board, all because of caps which got bad. So think twice if it is realyl worth to get soem high-quaility ones or just postpone the problem with another craps and risk of much worse problem in the future.
                  Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                  Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard View Post
                    Whew. Very broad.

Range from mid 2006 to early 2009. But I still find bad caps in 2009. And it happens not very often. Say 2-3 even 5 units every month just for bad caps, not too bad. And not all of them has this issues, it either is LCD, mainboard or failed PSU.

Now, these bad caps only happened in LCD models, particularly 27"-50" but don't refain from buying these, they still are repairable with parts (availablity) or caps. Plasma models uses higher quality caps as they had to take extra heat.

BTW, you can't do that with a generic units. Ever, hence I have customer's generic 50" plasma sitting here (panel, all drivers stuff and PSU are all samsung parts) except the mainboard is generic of sh!t which is dead on my bench trying to find a compatible Samsung mainboard to work with this particular panel (1366x768). Samsung I can still get parts for a samsung 5 years old 17" LCD monitor I picked up for 9.99. Either LCD controller or the microcontroller is bad, price is not bad from samsung.

I got 3 other LCD tvs useless because of mainboard failures, one dell (W2600, worst kind of worse kind to look for is oddball LCD 1280x768, widescreen is 1365 or 1366x768 so not easy to find a good mainboard.) One is Sanyo 40" with bad mainboard super expensive to replace and diffcult as we don't have a distributor for sanyo parts, and a 32" 1366x768 (AUO) generic with a stuck in test mode mainboard.

Pays to stick with Samsung and other good brands that stands behind repair stuff, don't buy one that insists on shipping a particular unit back as this means they do not repair these, they ship a working unit to you and either resell or throw away the duds which is common with generic stuff. Good ones had either authorized servicer take the unit for diagnosis/repair or you take it to nearest authorized service shop depending.

Cheers, Wizard
                    i have a samsung plasma ps42a457p1d88f witch is suffering from bad cap syndrome, i havent got round to fixing yet got to buy a new soldering iorn! but seems that some peeps beleive this doesent happen in plasma models well mines proof it does, just the one has gone as far as i can tell its 10v 2200uf 105 c and is a black and silver wb one! hope this is usefull to someone and will post in just over a week when ive replaced it, replys are very welcome thanks!!!

Comment

I myself was involved in a class action against samsung, my television, a 55" LCD top of the line, 750 model, had the capacitor problem. i called samsung and requested warranty service, it would of costed me 125.00 to ship it to the most nearby service tech. i changed out the caps myself, the entire power board with new panasonic caps. no problems since. 2.5 years now. i wont buy another samsung though, and every time someone ask, "what do you reccommend", one word "Sony". I won't even touch a samsung phone, one word "IPhone" i suggest you do the same. Oh and the lawsuit, was quietly settled in san francisco federal court.

Comment

Hi,
                        I'm looking for the schematic for my Samsung LCD TV's power board.

I got the service manual for my TV, but the power board schematic diagram seems missing.

Is this normal?? If so, how would I find the schematic I want? I really do want the power board's schematic (I've already replaced the bad capacitors) -- just wondering if anybody here would relate to this frustration I'm having.

The model numbers covered by this service manual I am looking at:
                        LN26A330J1D
                        LN32A330J1D (my TV)
                        LN37A330J1D
                        LN40A330J1D

Thanks so much,
                        -Hukk

Comment

You can get the service manual here.

http://www.servicemanuals.net/Servic...1/results.aspx

Comment

Wow, quit blaming Samsung. This problem is in every electronic device out there. Right now I am replacing caps from Samwha in a Motorola barcode scanner. I have about 50 of these scanners to do for my employer. And I know my Motorola PVR at home has caps bulging that I will have to do one day. This is not just a Samsung issue!

Comment

The thing is that if I would have paid $1500-2500 for a TV and after a year and a couple of months would crap out, I would be very pissed myself.
                              If they have a lot of issues with there products, they should stand behind there products and recall them.
                              How come Vizio can use quality capacitors and Samsung can't?

Comment

The caps are the only good things in a Vizio TV. At least Samsung TVs work well when the caps are good. Everything with the Vizio name on it (not just TVs) is worthless junk sold at a premium price. Anything is better than a Vizio.

Comment

I'm not talking about the Vizio quality, I'm just saying that even they can afford good caps, so whats up with big Samsung?

Comment

From what I have personally seen on these forums, Vizio is one of the better brands.

Both Samsung and Vizio are well engineered, but Samsung is engineered to only last a few years it seems, and when it comes to get it fixed, Samsung will give you the middle finger. Vizios seem to be full (mostly) of high quality caps, even on their low end 32" 720p models. And now Samsung and LG are using Chungwha and CMO crap panels in their TVs there's going to be little difference in picture quality.
                                    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Since I have opened up a couple TVs in the last couple of months, I had a couple of Vizios(right now I have one too, a VO42L) and to me they don't look cheaply made either and I have begin to appreciate them much more then before this hobby. Not sure if I would purchase one though.
                                      What I have seen in this short time, that Vizios last twice as much as a Samsung.I'm getting TVs only from 2008, but Samsungs are a bit younger, some 2008, but mostly 2009-2010.
                                      Last edited by tibimakai; 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Hi All,
                                        Just wanted to confirm that I too had the capacitor problem with a Samsung LA40F81BDX after about 2 years of usage.

After taking the power circuit board I examined all the samwha caps which were:-
                                        - A large reservoir cap (2200uF I think from memory).
                                        - 4 smaller caps electrolytic caps that looked like there were dor ac->dc rectification
                                        - 2 even smaller caps (not sure of their usage offhand).

It is important to note that all damaged caps had visible signs of bloating and several had began to rupture from the top.

After replacing all 7 caps with low ESR JAP caps from jaycar at the cost of about $8 the TV went from not turning on at all or taking 30-50 goes to turn on to turning on first time every time.

Thanks all for your previous info.

Comment

I have a similar problem (trying to start over & over until it finally would start & then quit completely)with my 42" Samsung Model code lnt4069fxixaa ser#akg53csq202307m version 5902.
                                          I had it repaired under my extended warranty.
                                          Now the problem has started again.
                                          I took the back off hoping to find bulging and or leaking capacitors.
                                          They all look normal.
                                          Any advice on what to do next?
                                          Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X