Dell 2005FPW PS PROB AND VERT ROLLING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell 2005FPW PS PROB AND VERT ROLLING

How much should I be spending on a decent capacitance meter and an ESR meter. (I asked for an ESR meter and they didn't know what I was talking about). Are there meters that measure both? ( my capacitance meter was $80 i feel like it should cost half that, i dont see any ESR meters in that price range... anyone got a link/website to buy?)

Comment

Originally posted by vo_danh View Post
      How much should I be spending on a decent capacitance meter and an ESR meter.
      I have seen ESR meters range from $65+. There is also a thread where there are many URLs for "kits".

Search for "parker" on this forum.

Since this is a hobby for me, I wouldn't spend the money for an ESR meter.
      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I've tested 2 caps on the power supply board (you can prob see me re-soldering it back in the top two in the 2nd picture) and the C637 cap (also re-attached). I only tested their capacitance, I ordered the Russian ESR meter 4.0 tonight so it will be a while before it gets here.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by vo_danh; 09-27-2010, 01:11 AM. Reason: Stated which caps I tested in case join looks bad.

Comment

Hey was wondering if you had fixed your monitor? I see in the pictures above you replaced the 2 top caps on the power board and c637 on the video board. Is that all you replaced?

I have this same monitor and it started scrolling when I turned it on so I started leaving it on and now it powers up scrolls for like 30 seconds or so and then the power light starts to go on and off. It sounds like the same problems.

If these caps are not the only or correct ones does anyone know where to get refurbished boards?

Oh and when I pull these out if connect them to a multi meter set to ohms and it goes to 0 that would mean there bad correct? is this a good test?

Comment

**** sorry not sure how i posted this twice ****

Comment

I have not had time yet and no I have not repaired it yet. I now have an ESR meter and will start to go through and test them since I didnt get a response from anyone else for advice on mine.

Comment

My 2005FPW had same symptoms as many above -- rapid vertical jumping for first few minutes of turning on. Once it was warm, no problems, very nice image. I opened case with great difficulty (first time anyway, subsequently not as bad once you know how it works). I saw no obviously bad caps on either board, but replaced 5 caps C210-301 on power board with new 820 uf. x 25 v x 105 C from DigiKey. All tested OK when out and this didn't help symptoms at all. So then I replaced C 635&637 on logic board with new 470 uf 16 v 105 C, because others had found those caused this problem. Both looked OK except for slight yellowing of plastic jacket and tested OK on meter after removal. But new C635 and 637 totally solved vertical jumping. Now monitor works and looks great.

I'm grateful for advice given above. I've had decades of experience with all sorts of electronic equipment, and I must say, this monitor may be the most repair-hostile thing I've ever dealt with. Aside from the challenges opening the case, there are numerous very delicate and fragile connections from various components. Extreme care needed to avoid damage.

Comment

C635 & C637 on logic board 470uF 16V change to 470uF 25V; Is work good use 470uF 25V.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonwcobb View Post
                    C635 & C637 on logic board 470uF 16V change to 470uF 25V; Is work good use 470uF 25V.
                    To bump an old thread... I replaced these two capacitors on mine for the same problem (Vertical rolling until monitor warms up).

It was a pain for my first capacitor replacement, but it worked out eventually, and once the new (470uF 16V) capacitors were in, the monitor powered up nicely with no issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X