Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing caps on acer x241w learning experience...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing caps on acer x241w learning experience...

Guys, sorry I forgot to post back ...
    The problem was the flat cable between the screen and video card was not connected properly ... once I connected that, it all worked.

The real problem is though, the original problem came back last week ...
    I need to tear it apart again, and take a look ... I think the Caps I replaced were not good, as they came from a cheep electronics store ...
    I need to find somewhere I can buy the good ones at.

Comment

Originally posted by yakirg View Post
      Guys, sorry I forgot to post back ...
      The problem was the flat cable between the screen and video card was not connected properly ... once I connected that, it all worked.

The real problem is though, the original problem came back last week ...
      I need to tear it apart again, and take a look ... I think the Caps I replaced were not good, as they came from a cheep electronics store ...
      I need to find somewhere I can buy the good ones at.
      A common problem. It occurs so often we suggest using only name brand low ESR caps such as Panasonic FM, FR, or FC series, or equivalent caps from Nichicon, Rubycon or United Chemicon. As far as a source, that is why we suggest including your location in your profile.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

10x, Bill

I live in Israel ...

Comment

Originally posted by yakirg View Post
          10x, Bill

I live in Israel ...
          A little outside the area I usually visit. Perhaps someone here can identify a reputable supplier.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

First off, I'd like to apologize for resurrecting a dead thread. I stumbled upon this thread after my x241w started exhibiting the exact same problems discussed here.

I'm handy with a soldering iron so I want to give it a go, but the pictures in the OP are dead. I'm also trying to figure out if there are any places to buy the capacitors I need in the Cincinnati, OH area. Given the identical symptoms, I assume I'll need about the same types and quantities by the others in this thread.

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmotoy View Post
              I'm handy with a soldering iron so I want to give it a go, but the pictures in the OP are dead.
              That is one reason why I always insist that people upload to this forum so the pictures are always available. See my sig file below.

I'm also trying to figure out if there are any places to buy the capacitors I need in the Cincinnati, OH area.
              Your local electronics store is unlikely to carry low ESR capacitor which are required in a SMPS application. See my standard answer on replacing caps (regulars may skip). It explains why and gives a practical example.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...84&postcount=3
              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks for the reply. After a long delay, I was able to source the correct capacitors and get the Acer apart. I had at least half a dozen bad capacitors, and was able to replace everything on the power board.

The logic board had 1 bad capacitor, and I replaced both capacitors in that area, but whereas the power board was simple, my 60W soldering iron just couldn't handle melting the solder on this board. After awhile I decided that the amount of time the iron had to spend on the board was more risky than just leaving the rest of the caps on there, so that's what I did.

I connected it all back up and it's been working perfectly. Hopefully those remaining capacitors stay functional and I won't have to go back in there. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

@gizmotoy: one trick when you work on multi-layer PCB. Add a little solder on the solder side of the board first, then get yourself stainless steel dental tool with sharp point (Harbor Freight has 5-piece set for about $8) put the point on the component side hole and push on it while you are melting the solder on the solder side until the needle pokes through, then remove the iron and the needle, the key point is that it has to be stainless steel so the solder will not stick to it. I use this method to replace caps on mother board which can have 15 layers of coppers.
                  Never stop learning
                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                  X