PCIe Graphics into Dell server.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCIe Graphics into Dell server.

I got a Dell Poweredge SC1430 server for the sum total of $16 and Im trying to make it a workstation. Part of that is upgrading the horrible Radeon ES1000 graphics.
    This board has two PCIe x8 slots that are x4 electrically. I have already 'modified' a 9400GT to fit.
    My problem now is it starts up fine, shows the BIOS screen but once it tries to boot it crashes and restarts.
    Ive read the PCIe power spec for slots smaller than x16 is 25 watts. The 9400GT is a 50W card. Is this a possible cause do you think? If it is, would it be possible to modify the 9400GT to accept external power?

Many Thanks.

Re: PCIe Graphics into Dell server.

How much memory does the server have in it? In my old Optiplex 320, if you populated the PCIe slot, it would not work with more than 2gb of RAM. If it was unpopulated, you could put 4gb in. Similar complaints... BIOS POST would work, but it wouldn't boot, even if it had been running fine previously.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Wow, that was an awsome deal!
      Maybe it would work if you used a card that had an external 6-pin PCIe power connector?
      (If the PSU lacks one you can always use a molex adapter)
      Last edited by Per Hansson; 06-06-2011, 11:22 AM.
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

What do you mean "modified" a 9400GT? What modifications?

Comment

He cut the PCI-E connector to fit the 4x slot.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Rulycat View Post
            What do you mean "modified" a 9400GT? What modifications?
            You can either cut the back of the slot out to let the extra pins overhang... or...

http://www.invisiblerobot.com/pcie_x1/
            Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Can you test the card in another PC to ensure you haven't bricked it?

Comment

Check your power supply.
                "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

I tried to feed it power through the fan pins on the card via a floppy connector; that didnt work either.
                  Ill try the memory thing later, after work; hopefully that is not the issue. It seems the thing is just really picky about video cards. I found a web page where someone that had one of these assembled a list of cards known to work. I dont have any on that page, so I bought a adapter off ebay to fit x16 cards into the x8 slot. I have a couple different cards I can get to test.
                  I also got an extension cable for the PCIe power. The power supply has a 6pin PCIe, but its about 3 inches long.
                  Thats what I did, was I cut the card to x8 slot size. I did that because even if you cut the back of the slot out, there is stuff on the mobo the connector would contact.

Comment

I doubt that backfeeding through the fan pins gave the card any more power than it had before... They're probably protected by diodes... at least I would think they would be.
                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I did the same thing on a poweredge 1800 and got the same result (with a GF 8400)

might be time to think about getting a PCI or a x1 video card
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

It does not have diodes on the fan pins. I was surprised, but I traced it out, and confirmed with a DVOM that it was connected directly to the PCIe pins.
                        Im going to have to take pics of the power supply open. Its beautiful inside. I saw a row of MBZs through the grille.

Comment

Originally posted by Colt45ws View Post
                          It does not have diodes on the fan pins. I was surprised, but I traced it out, and confirmed with a DVOM that it was connected directly to the PCIe pins.
                          Im going to have to take pics of the power supply open. Its beautiful inside. I saw a row of MBZs through the grille.
                          That still wouldn't accomplish anything. Only if the fan was fed off the video chipset itself... as it was, you were just backfeeding the PSU into itself
                          Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Yes, but it should still have to the through the power circuitry to get to the ram and gpu. The fan header is about .25" from the PCIe power.
                            I dont know; I have a adapter on the way and when I get that I can test cards much faster without butchering them.

Comment

keep in mind with those adapters, you have to have a low profile video card

Comment

It probably wont be a permanent installation with it, I just want to be able to test cards without butchering them.

Comment

you can always cut the end of the pci express slot (assuming there is not caps or other parts behind the slot stopping you)

Comment

Yeah, it must be a power issue. I plugged in a HD3870 and it complained about not having power on the screen. It was plugged into the PCIE power via the extension I bought and I did verify voltage at it so the only thing I can think of is a lack of voltage at the connector.

Comment

Got a 8500GT to work. There is a pause between BIOS and when it actually boots, however, of about 2 minutes. I plugged in a monitor to the onboard video, and it is resetting the onboard every couple seconds the whole time. Then it disables it and moves on.
                                      Another issue is nothing shows up until the sysrescuecd kernel loads and starts booting. Unfortunately this means I cant select the 64bit kernel at the selection screen since it does not appear. I'd have to install the OS, then install the card. I guess. Unless I can find a modded BIOS that turns off the onboard crap. Then I wouldnt have to deal with the wait, either.

Comment

Once I got an actual OS installed on the HD, it boots up instantly. Must be something weird with the way it resets the video. I get the grub screen then I can see it unpack the kernel and start it. The initial kernel output is blank screen though, until it loads the nvidia module after it starts udev. No biggie though, the switch is a second or two at most.

Comment

Working...
                                        X