X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
    Vintage Deer? Bwahahaha. Anyway, i'll be using it to fix a better one. Stay tuned, for you're about to see the "full" version Deer! It actually looks respectable... but that didn't save it from blowing up.
    https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=solytech

I got this one during deer season. It's actually pretty respectable, the label lies a bit but I was impressed to see name brand silicon like fairchild and ON semiconductor being used. The soldering quality is too fairly respectable, other than it was cold joints galore, one of the 5vsb caps simply fell out.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...light=solytech

What solytech has started doing to deer.
    Last edited by 370forlife; 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
      Can't be a PowMax........it actually has a fuse!
      I find it hilarious that my 20W speakers have 4 x 1N5401s and this 300Wer uses the same diodes.

Comment

What's strange about that?

At line voltage, you have more power to play with as the voltage is higher.

3A @ 120V ac = 360VA. 3A @ 16V ac = 48VA.

Just what do ya think's inside a KBL404 for example? Four diodes, perhaps?
        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
        Originally posted by shango066
        All style and no substance.
        Originally posted by smashstuff30
        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
          What's strange about that?

At line voltage, you have more power to play with as the voltage is higher.

3A @ 120V ac = 360VA. 3A @ 16V ac = 48VA.

Just what do ya think's inside a KBL404 for example? Four diodes, perhaps?
          Oh right I forgot PC PSUs convert to DC before the transformer....Ah dumb me, as usual.

Comment

Sega Dreamcast switching power supply:

It uses primarily Nippon Chemi-con along with two Rubycons. Rubycon YXA on the bulk PFC filter. Matsushita (Panasonic) transformers/coils as well as a Matsushita X film cap on the AC filter.

Output voltages are 3.3v, 5v, and 12v, just like a normal computer.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TheLaw; 04-24-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by everell View Post
              Can't be a PowMax........it actually has a fuse!
              I've never actually seen ANY PSU with no fuse before. Even the leadman units I've seen had fuses.
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
                Sega Dreamcast switching power supply
                Output voltages are 3.3v, 5v, and 12v, just like a normal computer.
                because it basically is one. runs a modified Windows CE

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                  because it basically is one. runs a modified Windows CE
                  Haha...although I think there might be different reasons for the voltages...

Comment

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
                    Rubycon YXA on the bulk PFC filter.
                    No PFC on this power supply. Rectified mains go straight in that bulk primary capacitor. From there on it's just a plain old single-transistor forward configuration.

Comment

This is a Hipro HP-Q075YF5 from a Compaq Presario 2286. Yes, it's only 75 watts.
                      The caps are a mix of Teapo, G-Luxon, Su'scon, and a single Ark cap (the green one).
                      The fan is a Minebea 3110GL-B4W-B24. It is extremely loud and moves almost no air. It was this way from the factory.
                      Attached Files

Comment

They don't make'em like they used to...

Gotta love it when the school takes stuff off inventory

Spent the better part of yesterday afternoon "scavenging" stuff from "going out" computers and printers. After getting a superb HP LaserJet 4M Plus for free a couple weeks ago, i found a spare toner cartridge for it.

I've also extracted the power supplies from an LJ3 (made by Sanken) and an LJ4 (made by Sony). It's amazing how back then (15-20 years ago), they "could" make stuff with japanese parts, and check this: minimal gooey stuff. Only a dab here and there, "just in case".

Sony APS-25E (Made in Japan) (LJ4): ~60% of the board is taken up by the primary. Three X2 caps, two common-mode chokes, one differential inductor (on the neutral), 5A circuit breaker, a triac, two MOV's, four Y caps, Rubycon SXS bulk filter cap, 4A bridge, relay and current transformer right before that, Hitachi 2SK1403A switcher, and the controller's on that upright black resin encased "daughterboard", with white writing on it. Transformer is copper tape-wound. Secondary's Elna only (RJ3 / RSH "Long Life"), with a Panasonic/Matsushita MA651 (200v 10/20A), D10SC4M (40v 10A) and a green fullpak 2SA1451 (not sure what its role is).

SanKen PS10424D-I (LJ3): FOUR X2 caps, two common-mode chokes, one differential inductor, 3.15A circuit breaker, triac, MOV, Rubycon MXP bulk filter cap, Toshiba 2SK1357 switcher, controller's again "proprietary" on a resin-encased daughterboard that spreads between the primary and secondary. Output: D8LCA20R double-diode (200v 8A), D10SC4M, 2SA1568 (these two are "in" the heatskink next to the controller board). Caps are a mix of ChemiCon KMF and Nichicon PR.

Neither supply has bulged caps, and are both presumed working, their "homes" being discarded due to age and lack of use.

I also picked up a Newton 200w computer PSU (out of a Fujitsu-Siemens box), with ACTIVE PFC Visible through the grills are a Rubycon primary cap, and Nichicon Ltec on the secondary. Fan's a Delta. Might post pics later today.

I'm going back there tomorrow, still a bunch of computers and a couple other printers to "loot and pillage"
                        Attached Files
                        Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

Hey, i want at your school. At mine they changed two LCDs that were on a wall at the entrance for bigger ones... but i have no idea where they took the old ones.

I did get some freebies today but i have no use for them (short of selling them for $10) - an ECS board with an AMD 1700 and cooler. Needs recapping. One of those hybrid SDR/DDR pieces of junk. I also have a 17" 12v LCD to pick up for free, but it's been here before, and after a recap all it does is display service patterns. EEPROM corrupted.
                          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-21-2011, 04:14 AM.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Aaaaaand here's the Newton.

Two Y-caps on the input IEC connector, and i just noticed: the voltage selector switch is there "just for show" Nothing hooked up to its pins...

Primary: three X2 caps (one on the rectifier output), one common-mode choke, two Y-caps, 6A (?) rectifier, Rubycon USP bulk filter cap. PFC's done with a UC3842+LM324, IRFP450A and STTA506D. Main switcher's a Toshiba 2SK2746; PWM's a Delta 1001. 5Vsb seems to be some sort of two-transistor affair; switching's done by an IRFBC20 (600v / 1.4A cont@100C / 8A pulsed). There's a 220u/25v Ltec near it, no clue if it's "the critical cap" or not.

Secondary: all TO-220 rectifiers; can't tell which is which. Specs on the case say 3.3v@14A, 12v@10A, 5v@20A (24A 10sec), -12v@0.5A, 5Vsb@2A. Max peak (10sec) 235W, max continuous 200W, max 5+3.3 135W. Caps are Nichicon PW (12v, 5Vsb) / Ltec LZG (5v, 3.3v, -12v). Monitoring's handled by a Delta 1002 IC / LM324. OCP "feeds" for all three main voltages.

Wiring's 18awg on the power lines, 22awg on the floppy lines and the PG/PSon/3.3Vsense.

There seems to be space / silkscreening for some sort of I2C (?) fan control or something. An 8-pin IC, SDA / SCL / VCC / COM / FANC / MON_ON_H wire pads. "Speaking of which", fan's mounted with rubber "studs".
                            Attached Files
                            Khron's Cave - Electronics - Audio - Teardowns - Mods - Repairs - Projects - Music - Rants - Shenanigans

Comment

AcBel API4ST03

600V 1.5A bridge rectifier.
                              FQP20N60 PFC stage with UGF8JT rectifier.
                              SPA11N65 output stage.
                              PHP110NQ08T x2 synchronous rectifier.
                              150uF 420V Ltec TY Series primary unit.
                              2200uF 16V Ltec LZG before output inductor with 1000uF 16V LZG after it.
                              All other electrolytics are Ltec.

LiteOn PA-3241-02A

8A 800V bridge rectifier.
                              TK20A60U MOSFET with STTH8L06 rectifier in PFC stage.
                              IPP60R165CP output stage with GT5408 rectifier.
                              IPP08CN10L x2 synchronous rectifier for 12V rails.
                              V40120C rectifier for +24V and +12V rails.

150uF 420V TK UPWS x2 prinary units.
                              2200uF 16V Chemi-Con KZH x4 with 470uF 16V Nichicon PW after IPZB06N03LA switch on +12Vm (10.5A) rail.
                              470uF 16V Nichicon PW on +12Vs (5A) rail.
                              470uF 50V Chemi-Con KZE x2 on +24Vs rail with 100uF 35V Chemi-Con KY x2 and 220uF 35V KY after IPD06N03L switch.
                              Other Primary and secondary capacitors Chemi-Con KY Series with one 100uF 10V Taicon VT Series on the secondary.
                              Attached Files
                              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

This is the power supply out of my Dell PowerEdge SC1430. Rated 750W.
                                I think the primary caps are Rubycon, just from the design of the negative stripe. Everything on this is Rubycon or UCC, even the small caps.
                                Also, it does not show up, but there are two bridge rectifiers in parallel on the first heat sink. I started trying to get part numbers, but some of the switchers have metal plates over the front. For additional cooling I guess. Either that, or some other part is right up against them. Its actually pretty roomy, just where there are components, they are backed up right into each other. So I gave up.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Xigmatek No Rules power 500W NRP-503VC.

It's a middle of the road solytech build and it certainly didn't follow the rules for testing. ripple was a bit high on the 3.3v rail when above 250W Load (around 60mV) and it exploded at 450W load. Caps are Yang Chun and the fan is solytech's favourite brand, (globe fan). Any idea why all three transistors includding the 5vsb one blew even though the 5vsb was only under 1A load from 200W onward? Perhaps the heat sink was hotter from the other two transistors?
                                  Attached Files

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

AT power supply that was very "popular" here. The specs are a mystery but once someone opens it up... no ac filter at all. Diode for 5v is s15c40c and two pr3004 for 12volts. Capacitors are Jpcon.
                                    This one was working but I decided to the add the missing parts and replace the transformer and diodes just to see what happens. I haven't had the courage to power it up yet.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Delta DPS-750CB. Originally from a HP workstation, but currently powering my main PC. In the first Pic, the PSU to the left is a Bestec ATX-300-12Z, just for a size comparison. The unit does actually have five 12V rails. 2 for the CPU, 1 for the graphics, 1 for the ATX connector and 1 for the peripheral and SATA connectors. The fan is a delta Ball Bearing 92mm, and the caps are entirely Japanese (Rubycon, Nichicon, and Chemi-con) with the exception of one tiny LTEC.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

which transistors are on the reverse side pa-3241-02a ?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by semenov_av; 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM.

Comment

DVE DSO-0631R-12.
                                          From a Waeco AC/DC portable fridge/heater made by Mobicool.

2x 2200uF 25V Teapo SH at 12.8V 5A output.
                                          100uF 400V CapXon LP input filter.
                                          22uF 100V CapXon GL primary side LV filter.
                                          2SK2996 MOSFET (has insufficient heatsink compound)
                                          SBL2060CT output rectifier.
                                          4A 600V bridge rectifier for mains input.
                                          7A relay for switched output on secondary side.

Note that the heatsinks have been removed for the photo, since this supply needs repair (MOSFET is internally shorted).
                                          Attached Files
                                          Last edited by japlytic; 08-22-2011, 06:00 AM. Reason: Component clarification
                                          My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
                                          X