Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown cap on ADSL line in Netgear DG384PN

Hi,

Please help me to identify what capacitors I need to get to replace the two that have blown in my router after lightning the other night. After the storm the rest of the router seems to be functioning ok, it just can't seem to detect an ADSL signal on the line (orange flashing light). I have tried a friend's router and it does see the signal.

I have taken the router apart and the two series caps on the adsl line have the casing blown off! I have checked the coil with a meter and it seems like it is unaffected.

The capacitors are red in colour with lead spacing of about 10mm, and have an AR symbol with 683K and 630V. I guess that this is 68nF rated at 630V, but I'm not sure what a suitable replacement would be - I have been unable to find anything that I think might match on rs or farnell (I'm in the UK).

Thanks in advance for your time.

Seimon

Re: Blown cap on ADSL line in Netgear DG384PN

Too risky. The IC are also damaged from the lightning. Invest in another modem.

Yesterday, I just declared a 50" sony LCD rear proj write off due to lightning fried wires everywhere, scorch marks everywhere including SMPS board.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Thanks for your reply Wizard, 50" tv? Ouch - sounds expensive

There doesn't seem to be any scorches on my router though and everything else seems to power up and work fine, so I thought I could try a couple of new 30p caps before shelling out £80 on a new router; if it doesn't work I haven't lost much right?

I've taken a pic of the caps in question:

Thanks again,

Seimon

Comment

maube the caps took the hit instead of the ic. that will happen with power supplies a lot.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

oooh i see teapo

are there any big eletrolytics on there? if so, might want to fix those too since teapo will fail without visible signs somtimes
          sigpic

Comment

There are only a few electrolytics on there, but on close inspection one of them does seem to have a bulging top! Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll try and replace them when I do the others.

Any ideas what type the blown red ones are though? Film, multilayer ceramic, polystyrene? There's so much choice, and I don't know enough to know what I can successfully replace them with. I figure they are there to block the DC on the line; do I need to stick to 63nF and 630V (which I can't find anywhere) or will a different rating do? Any pointers, please?!

Cheers,

Seimon

Comment

I'm not 100 % sure, but I think you are looking for 0.068uF 630V Metallized Polyester Film capacitors. At least, they can be found at DigiKey.
              ------------
              Be a mensch

Comment

Thanks sofTest,

I've ordered some VISHAY BC COMPONENTS #2222 338 20683 from Farnell. I'll see how I get on with them, then I'll dig around for some replacement electrolytics.

Thanks everyone for your comments,

Cheers,

Seimon

Comment

I doubt those Metallized Polyester Film capacitors are the cause since they rarely die.
                  If there's one bulged electrolytic cap, however, it means that all of them are probably going bad. Just replace all of the electrolytic caps and that should solve your problem. They need to be 105C low-esr rated, however. Just look at the original caps (what brand are they and what series) and post their info here, then we will guide you to a suitable replacement of low-esr caps.

Comment

no, the film caps got all burned up. yes, replace all teapos
                    sigpic

Comment

It probably can't detect a signal because of the exploded capacitors, replace them and you might be fine

If the thing actually gets line sync back after that you should be good to go, just replace all the teapos too

But I assume you can acess the web interface etc and know that the CPU etc is all working fine? Because if that is not the case then it's probably not be worth it

If you do resurrect it, go and get a lightning filter too
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Lightning does not come in and go out on the same line or come in one line and stop. It goes in one line and out the other. Most likely it came in on the power line and went out on the phone line. All parts from here to there are in danger and just one fused transistor and it's toast. If you fix it buy a lottery ticket.

Do go get a lightning arrestor. These do arrest lightning unlike the surge suppressors you have now which do not for multiple reasons. You can get the universal kind that adapt to any box or you can get arrestors integrated into a standard size breaker.
                        sig files are for morons

Comment

Yes, this Sony 50" is around 4 grand or so when new in 2005. Now I think it paid for. Too bad.

I had to give up on other Sony 27" CRT TV. I think micro is semi-damaged even I can bring up menu and play with. But no video or tuner. Tuner is working because it has own seperation circuit built in for video and R and L audio but jungle IC is not outputting them at all even I can bring menu up (micro outputs stuff on RGB wiring to the jungle. In turn jungle IC outputs it to the CRT. Still, I don't get audio and video.
                          video/audio switching circuits works as I can see this switch correctly with scope.

I can get micro but jungle IC is NLA. :P This is KV-27S42.

Even as a experiment, swapped EEPROM (correct part but incorrect firmware) and still got same problem.

Cheers, Wizard

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                            Yes, this Sony 50" is around 4 grand or so when new in 2005. Now I think it paid for. Too bad.

I had to give up on other Sony 27" CRT TV. I think micro is semi-damaged even I can bring up menu and play with. But no video or tuner. Tuner is working because it has own seperation circuit built in for video and R and L audio but jungle IC is not outputting them at all even I can bring menu up (micro outputs stuff on RGB wiring to the jungle. In turn jungle IC outputs it to the CRT. Still, I don't get audio and video.
                            video/audio switching circuits works as I can see this switch correctly with scope.

I can get micro but jungle IC is NLA. :P This is KV-27S42.

Even as a experiment, swapped EEPROM (correct part but incorrect firmware) and still got same problem.

Cheers, Wizard

Cheers, Wizard
                            wrong thread
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X