Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

915gv-m3 v1.0 various caps, cannot find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

915gv-m3 v1.0 various caps, cannot find?

This board came from an Acer (just in case that may help at all) And I'm assuming the board to be good, minus the bad caps of course. I have no luck with finding this silver cap near the cpu (I don't know what they're actually called) and I'm wondering if anyone may know of a spec sheet even listing what caps are on the board so I can locate them to purchase and hopefully salvage the board so I will have at least 1 lga775 machine? Any help is much appreciated!

The hiding KZG reads 6.3v and 1500uf (Only 1 of these on the board)
    the silver caps read 5 4 680 j4 (Only two of these on the board)
    the OST are 6.3v 1000uf

Forgive my fail pic taking techniques
    Attached Files

Re: 915gv-m3 v1.0 various caps, cannot find?

I ordered another motherboard for a setup i'm trying to build for games. Though outdated, a DFI Lanparty Venus is an epic item

Anyways in the mean time and after life has settled a bit I wanted to get back to fixing what i have laying around, so my reason for bumping this thread --

I'm trying to get a better understanding of these various caps of course. The purple caps i found replacements for but I don't believe they need it. So the 4 at the bottom of the aluminum cap indicates voltage? And the "680" is the uf? I can find 4 volt 560uf caps but not 4volt 680 caps. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Zero Hour; 11-01-2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

just replace with sanyo sepc 560uf 4v like the ones next to it.

Comment

if you dont mind my asking, (i really have no idea) Is that totally safe? I assumed that because they had just one 680 at one end and another 680 at the other end of a set of 560s, that there was a reason?

Comment

Yes,
          Those rows of caps next to the CPU are in parallel in Vcore and they were trying to pump up the total uF for the capacitor bank.
          -
          kc8adu is THE authority on poly upgrades so his suggestion is most likely good.
          If using lower uF doesn't give you a warm fuzzy then just find a 680 or 820 uF 4v that will fit. [A 2.5v Poly is probably fine there too. Check the Vcore voltage for your CPU, if it's under 2.5v then a 2.5v Poly is fine.]
          -
          Note:
          Double verify the 680 and 560 are in parallel with a DMM before you change any thing.
          If they are [and they probably are] then everything said above is true.
          If they aren't then you need find what voltage is present on those caps and get caps with an appropriate voltage.
          -
          - You already know it's not more than 4v because the original cap is 4v.
          - By where it is on the board, it's probably less than 2v.
          Mann-Made Global Warming.
          - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
          -
          You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
          -

Comment

Ok so by "DMM" you mean digital multi-meter am I right? As in a digital read out volt meter? I think i have one laying around or i can get a cheapo for $5 somewhere like harbor frieght.

I'm curious why you mention 2.5v? Is that just an option if I'm unable to find a 4v at 680 or would the 2.5 be any better?

Now in order to check if they're in parallel I need to be testing ohms and connected to one terminal of one of the 560s and then one of the 680 correct? I'll use whatever if it works, and I appreciate all the help and suggestions! I'm just trying to make sure i understand correctly.

The cpu i'll be using btw is a pentium e2160, which cpu-world lists spec volt @ 0.85V – 1.5V

Thanks again!

Comment

Yes, DMM = digital multi-meter

~~~
              If there are zero ohms from the + side of the cap to the + side of the other cap.
              -and-
              If there are zero ohms from the - side of the cap to the - side of the other cap.
              Then the caps are in parallel.

Checking only one side can get you into trouble.
              Doesn't happen too often on mobo's but it does happen.

The '-' side is the side with the wide 'stripe' on it.
              -
              For Vcore caps the '-' side will be connected to ground.
              [This is true of most, but not all, caps on a mobo.]

~
              I mentioned 2.5v because it gives you more options in replacement caps.
              820uF 2.5v are very popular and so higher production, easier to find, and are usually less expensive than 4v caps.

If your Vcore is 0.85V – 1.5V [and it is in fact a Vcore cap] then using them instead of 4v is fine.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Working...
              X