Purple/Pink Lines / Postering on plasma LG 60PZ550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Purple/Pink Lines / Postering on plasma LG 60PZ550

I have an LG 50 inch plasma TV (model 50PS30FD-AA) that that went bad a few days ago. First the screen when mainly white with a bit of purple. It looks bit like the contrast was inverted as well. Then after a bout 10 minutes the TV turned off. Now it only turns on for 2 seconds before it turns off again.

I took the back off and then pulled all the circuit boards (all except he control board and the signal input board) off and then checked all the capacitors by looking at them and by checking for shorts with a multi-meter but they all look good. All the components on all the boards look good. All the solder on the boards looks perfect.

Please see attached photos of what the screen looks like when I turn it on (it turns off by itself after a couple of seconds).

Can some please help me to fix this issue.

Thanks very much in advance.

Lachlan
    Attached Files

Comment

Please start your own thread, this is a different TV with different fault symptoms.
      Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
      For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

For O/P--

To access time of use of panel,--

Press both menu on Remote and set at same time for more tha 5 seconds....

Works with the earlier ones, should work with these too....
        TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
        http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
        PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

I have the lg 60 pz550 with the same flickering purple green pink sparkles in the middle area. I want to thank this site for saving my tv. The technician I had come out thought I was nuts but I was sold on your fix. You were dead on and a quick resolder saved it. The factory solder job looked like it went thin on some of the spots mainly on the z sus board but still had some weak areas on the y sus board. My tv is fixed and working perfectly now. Thank you again for posting the good stuff.

Comment

My lg 60pz550 just turned itself off. When I turn it on it has a green screen, no picture. Can this be fixed or is it now toast?
            Thanks, this is a bummer since it's barely three years old.

Comment

The 60PZ 550 must have a 3 year or less lifespan. Ours has crapped out as well. You will not find the parts to repair it as there does not seem to be any sus boards out there. Everywhere I checked they were "out of stock". This TV seems to be at the end of its life support wise as well. I will never again make the mistake of buying a plasma much less an LG.

Comment

Plasmas are usually more reliable than LCDs (and LED-backlit LCD TVs, or "LEDs".) In general, the failures of plasmas are the power electronics (sus boards) which can be fixed or replaced. The failures of LCDs are more often than not panel related, which means the TV is junk. Also LG is usually better than others though they're not the best. You probably just got a dud or had bad luck.... nothing more to it.
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Tom saying the boards can be replaced is great but have you tried to find one lately? I fear they are NLA.
                  Last edited by KrazyKman; 11-30-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyKman View Post
                    Tom saying the boards can be replaced is great but have you tried to find one lately? I fear they are NLA.
                    You might have to get someone to repair them. Easy enough to get hold of the parts.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyKman View Post
                      I'm sure LG Electronics will be able to supply parts inc boards for (This fairly recent) set--so not 'NLA'
                      --Trouble is, you will need to be a 'LG Service-Centre' to get them.

What you mean by 'NLA' means--there's NO Second-Hand Boards Available Currently, as that is what is generally sold by the likes of Shop-Jimmy and Flat TV Parts--Parts from these type places are seldom if ever new unused!

As Tom66 suggests--Best get your board repaired......

Newer sets are terrible for reliability and fixability--Panel issues are the main problem--and when that happens, They Really ARE Toast. At least Yours is Repairable!
                      TELEFIX

How PLASMA SCREENS WORK, X-SUS and Y-SUS what they do--
                      http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1088.pdf
                      PLEASE DO NOT EMAIL ME PRIVATELY FOR REPAIR ADVICE. QUESTIONS BELONG ON THE FORUM!

Comment

You might have to get someone to repair them. Easy enough to get hold of the parts.
                        Thanks Tom, is there a link or thread for diagnosing / repairing sustain boards (other then the coil soldering)?

Comment

Well, not as such, but treat it like any other part. Fuses, burn marks, discolouration, shorted components. You can replace IGBTs, and the driver ICs. Usually parts are available from China, sometimes closer.

What tools do you have? A DMM is essential. A soldering iron (with temperature regulation) is essential. An oscilloscope is useful but not required for most tests.

Comment

Yes, I have a good DMM and a decent Weller 140/100 soldering kit. It seems I made the TV picture worse by soldering the cracked solder joints for the coils. It started having the black jagged edges on start up then very dim picture after the original problem of the strange color issues caused by the cracked solders.
                            Last edited by KrazyKman; 12-01-2014, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I think it's worth checking all the transistors mounted on the heatsinks for obvious shorts.

Comment

Seem to be experiancing the same issue. I have attached pictures to be sure before I crack the back open to fix. The TV is just over 3 years old with very heavy use. If this is the same issue as above what will I need to fix. Never really soldered anything before. How hard is it?
                                Attached Files

Comment

i had the same problem with the purple streaks with my lg 60pz550. Wish i had seen this sooner. Thought maybe it was burn in related so i a ran the color washer for about 30 minutes. After the picture went out. I get sound but no picture now. I found that the fuse is blown on the LG EBR73561701 ZSUS Board> Any thoughts on how to repair?

Comment

What tools do you have? Are you experienced with repairing power electronics?

Comment

I have a volt ohm meter. I have done some minor electronics repair

Comment

It might be best to replace the Z-sustain board, I don't know if anyone has repaired one of these yet but it will involve replacement of several IGBTs on the heatsink + various surface mount parts, ok if you've done it before (and someone has tried it before too, so they know what fails on these) but a bit daunting if not.

Comment

Ok anything else that would cause that fuse to blow that I should check before ordering the board which seems to be be hard to find(most sites out of stock) thanks much for your help

Comment

Working...
                                          X