Acer AL1916WA dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL1916WA dead

Well mostly dead. Power light comes on, and changes colour when the VGA signal goes away.

Disassembled, found 7 Capxon bloaters and a shorted FET.
    And obviously a blown fuse, with the FET totally shorted between all 3 leads that was bound to happen.

Power/Inverter board looks just like the Westinghouse in: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=64588

FETs ordered, board re-capped, now we wait.
    Last edited by smason; 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM.
    36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Re: Acer AL1916WA dead

The FET in which section, inverter or power supply?
    Never stop learning
    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
      The FET in which section, inverter or power supply?
      Inverter. there's 2 one that drives each section of the transformer, one tests fine out of circuit, the other is shorted d-s-g I'll replace both.

BTW not sure what friggin size these smd fuses are. Maybe 1008? I keep ordering the wrong ones from Digikey and I get the ones that are microscopic I'll have to desolder it and measure. Seems like about 2.5x1.7mm rough caliper measure while on the board.

Edit: Just looked up an old Digikey order, I ordered 0603s TWICE! grr so I must need 0805 or 1008

Will post some pics tomorrow.
      Last edited by smason; 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

Originally posted by smason View Post
        I keep ordering the wrong ones from Digikey
        At $8 for s/h, cover your bases and order everything + spare caps and whatever else you think you might need.
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          At $8 for s/h, cover your bases and order everything + spare caps and whatever else you think you might need.
          Yeah I always wait 'till I need a lot of stuff before I order. Unless it's a job for someone, then I ding them the $8.00

I'm getting low on a few cap values, so I'll get my order together, and add several values of SMD fuse, in the not so microscopic size this time
          Last time I needed an SMD fuse (the ProView TV) I kludged in a picofuse. Looked a bit sloppy but did the job.

Comment

I found and ordered a few things from this Canadian ebay seller. My order was shipped within 24 hours and arrived in about 5 business days which is about the fastest Canada Post can do.

As long as your items are less than the weight limit below, combined shipping is only $3.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Techno-Star

quote: "If your package is less than 2cm thick and less than 250gr the shipping cost is $3 for Canada"

PS. Glad to see you back and contributing here and there.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have on my desk in front of me, a box from Digikey.
              24 SMD fuses (4 different values)

18 coaxial power connectors (6 different sizes)

38 caps (8 different values)

Say what you want about $8.00 shipping but...
              I ordered this LAST NIGHT at 7:00 PM!

Not sure how they could pick the parts, put em in baggies, box it up and get it here this morning. Blows me away.
              Last edited by smason; 01-18-2013, 12:15 PM. Reason: tpyos

Comment

I ordered this LAST NIGHT at 7:00 PM!

Not sure how they could pick the parts, put em in baggies, box it up and get it here this morning. Blows me away.
                What shipping method did they use? UPS (brown)? FedEx?

I know their service is outstanding and quick. I just personally have a hard time buying a 50 cent fuse and paying $8 s/h for it. However, I don't mind paying $8 when I consolidate a bunch of orders.
                --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

What shipping method did they use? UPS (brown)? FedEx?

I know their service is outstanding and quick. I just personally have a hard time buying a 50 cent fuse and paying $8 s/h for it. However, I don't mind paying $8 when I consolidate a bunch of orders.
                  Oh I totally agree, I'd have to reeeeally need a part to pay $8.00 shipping.
                  I try to get at least $50.00 worth. Over $200.00 is free, but I never need THAT much

It was Fedex.

Comment

Edit: Just looked up an old Digikey order, I ordered 0603s TWICE! grr so I must need 0805 or 1008
                    So I ordered 0805 and they're STILL too small .
                    I removed the fuse and really measured it, I needed 1206.

After some cussing I was able to solder in a 0805, but it wasn't easy.

Note to self: measure twice, order once. And actually read the datasheet.
                    Hopefully I'll get the FETs next week and be done.

Comment

Pics finally.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Re: Acer AL1916WA dead update

Update:
                        Got the FETs, installed and tested, working fine.
                        Re-assembled, and the power light flashes off and on. WTF?

Disassembled and found I hadn't fully plugged in 2 of the CCFLs.
                        Working fine on test now.

Comment

I have Viewsonic VA1916W with same power board.
                          Some of caps were bulged and I replaced all of them including big one.
                          Now there is some humming noise with power cable plugged in and power off.
                          When I turn on monitor there is no noise any more. It is working normally.
                          When it goes to sleep mode there is noise again. It is not loud but it is there.
                          What could be the reason of that noise.

Comment

Well there is not that much inside - you will need to get the back off and pinpoint where the noise comes from. Most likely is the Main transformer, or the LF100.
                            Was the replaced Big cap a new one or a used one - if it is just hanging on its legs try gluing it down.
                            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Big cap is new one. Noise was before I replaced it and I thought it will help.
                              I tried to locate where is noise coming from, but I wasn't successful.
                              If it is LF100, how important is to replace it with another one, with same characteristics, or I can use one from some different power supply?

Comment

Update:
                                Got the FETs, installed and tested, working fine.
                                Re-assembled, and the power light flashes off and on. WTF?

Disassembled and found I hadn't fully plugged in 2 of the CCFLs.
                                Working fine on test now.
                                Can You please tell me did You replace with same FETs and there markings.
                                On one fet I have 5 V and on another one 14.7 V on big tab. Are those values normal?

Comment

Originally posted by srbax View Post
                                  Can You please tell me did You replace with same FETs and there markings.
                                  On one fet I have 5 V and on another one 14.7 V on big tab. Are those values normal?
                                  Yes I replaced with the same part (40T03GP)
                                  Not sure about the voltages, I tested mine with a multimeter with power off, and found they were shorted. Well one was shorted, I replaced both.

Comment

Working...
                                  X