Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG Plasma Model PDP50R40000 Turns On but no picture

Hi experts,

So I've had this 50" LG plasma for about 3 years now and have never had an issue with it. Yesterday, my wife bumped it (not very hard... really!) on one of the edges and the picture immediately went black with no "popping" noises. When I turn off the TV, the red standby light goes on and when I turn it on, the standby light turns off (which is how it usually functions) but I don't get the LG bootup/splash screen. When I hit the input and channel/volume buttons, the red standby light blinks as usual from the remote input but nothing is shown on the screen. I get no picture at all and am fairly certain that I'm not getting sound, either, although just about all my inputs go directly to my receiver so I may need to double check the sound part.

For troubleshooting so far, I've disconnected all inputs and took the back off of the TV. I did a visual inspection and I don't see any signs of blown capacitors, loose connections or anything and I also turned it on for a bit and checked the heat sinks on the power supply, YSUS and ZSUS and they're all warm so I'm assuming power is getting to both boards. I also tried to disconnect the power to just the YSUS and it had no noticeable difference. I cannot isolate the power from the ZSUS because the power goes from the Power source, to the ZSUS to the YSUS instead of directly from the power supply to the YSUS.

I just picked up a digital multimeter and was planning on checking some of the fuses and power connections.

Any ideas on what else I can try to possibly isolate the problem? I'm fine with ordering a new YSUS/YSUS buffer or ZSUS if needed, but I'd hate to waste my money if it turns out those boards are not the issue.

Thank you for taking a look and please let me know if there are any additional details that I can provide for troubleshooting. I can also attach pictures of any components if needed.

Re: LG Plasma Model PDP50R40000 Turns On but no picture

Are there any cracks on the screen at all?
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Nope, the screen itself looks perfect.

Comment

OK, pictures of the chassis and of each board would help. In the meantime try unplugging the top Y-buffer board (only disconnect it from the Y-sustain, leave the orange ribbons connected) and see if the bottom half of the picture returns.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

I will give that a try and provide pictures.

Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

Sorry for the delay! I attached pictures of each board and the entire back of the TV. I can provide better quality pics if needed - I didn't realize they got downgraded when I moved them.

I'll try unplugging the top y-buffer board shortly and get back to you on that.
            Thanks!
            Attached Files

Comment

Dumb question - I can't seem to figure out how to disconnect the top y-buffer from the y-sustain. The connections are in the pictures from my last post. Any ideas?

Tom66 mentioned to just disconnect the boards and not the orange ribbon cables so I didn't try just disconnecting those from the top y-buffer (although I was inclined to try!)

Comment

Working...
              X