2 seconds to black Samsung 225bw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 seconds to black Samsung 225bw

Hi, I just made a trip to a relative and left my monitor in the car overnight. It was very cold out and I brought the monitor inside and (dumbly) plugged it right in.

Well, now it's on for a split second and then dies. I opened it up and attached is what I saw.

Obviously there are 3 blown caps. Should I just try to find replacements?
    Attached Files

Re: 2 seconds to black Samsung 225bw

Looks a good idea to change them.If you look around the site you will find lots of info, what and where to buy, particularly if you are in the States.

Comment

Originally posted by gnar View Post
      Hi, I just made a trip to a relative and left my monitor in the car overnight. It was very cold out and I brought the monitor inside and (dumbly) plugged it right in.

Well, now it's on for a split second and then dies. I opened it up and attached is what I saw.

Obviously there are 3 blown caps. Should I just try to find replacements?
      I'd go a little further. Certainly the cold night in the car didn't help, but that wasn't the fundamental cause. The tan goop on the top of the three caps has been accumulating for some time as the caps vented.

I'd strongly suggest replacing those three caps, the two caps in the inverter area, plus the tiny cap center bottom near the heat sink. That one in particular will not show any signs of failing, and will cause a completely dead monitor when it does. USe good quality low ESR caps, I prefer Panasonic FM series, but other manufacturers have equally good caps.

IF you are in the USA I suggest ordering from Digikey. The total cost if you choose First Class Mail for shipping will be under $8.00. Obviously, if you live outside the US use a local supplier.

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Welcome, gnar!

I also recommend replacing the other three small capacitors which are not bulging as well.
        My preference is Chemi-Con KY, as my avatar shows.
        My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
          I'd go a little further. Certainly the cold night in the car didn't help, but that wasn't the fundamental cause. The tan goop on the top of the three caps has been accumulating for some time as the caps vented.

I'd strongly suggest replacing those three caps, the two caps in the inverter area, plus the tiny cap center bottom near the heat sink. That one in particular will not show any signs of failing, and will cause a completely dead monitor when it does. USe good quality low ESR caps, I prefer Panasonic FM series, but other manufacturers have equally good caps.

IF you are in the USA I suggest ordering from Digikey. The total cost if you choose First Class Mail for shipping will be under $8.00. Obviously, if you live outside the US use a local supplier.

PlainBill
          So what did the cold night do, if you don't mind explaining and how did it tip it over the edge? I'm pretty tech savvy but I've never messed with capacitors before.

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
          Welcome, gnar!

I also recommend replacing the other three small capacitors which are not bulging as well.
          My preference is Chemi-Con KY, as my avatar shows.
          Will do! Just need to find out what bad boys these are ^^

Comment

So what did the cold night do, if you don't mind explaining and how did it tip it over the edge? I'm pretty tech savvy but I've never messed with capacitors before.

Will do! Just need to find out what bad boys these are ^^
            OK, a little background. The power supply in the monitor uses a design called Switching Mode Power Supply, or SMPS for short. This design requires capacitors with very low Equivalent Series Resistance or ESR. Too high an ESR and the noise level on the outputs gets to high. ESR is temperature dependent - a cap's ESR will drop as the cap gets warmer.

These caps had been overheating and venting for some time. Their ESR had risen from the rated .08 ohms to over 1 ohm, but the monitor still worked. The cold night in the car was the trigger. When you turned it on the ESR had risen from an estimated 1 ohm to 3 ohms or more. Instead of seeing a nice, smooth DC voltage the processor was seeing something that resembled the north shore of Oahu in the winter.

PlainBill
            For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
              OK, a little background. The power supply in the monitor uses a design called Switching Mode Power Supply, or SMPS for short. This design requires capacitors with very low Equivalent Series Resistance or ESR. Too high an ESR and the noise level on the outputs gets to high. ESR is temperature dependent - a cap's ESR will drop as the cap gets warmer.

These caps had been overheating and venting for some time. Their ESR had risen from the rated .08 ohms to over 1 ohm, but the monitor still worked. The cold night in the car was the trigger. When you turned it on the ESR had risen from an estimated 1 ohm to 3 ohms or more. Instead of seeing a nice, smooth DC voltage the processor was seeing something that resembled the north shore of Oahu in the winter.

PlainBill
              Interesting. Thanks for the explanation

From this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=6930&page=14 a guy has the same monitor and lists the capacitors he plans to replace them with. I've got an order up on digi-key with the same parts and should be ready to go.

2x P12390-ND CAP 680UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL $1.34
              2x P12391-ND CAP 820UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL $1.50
              1x P10321-ND CAP 47UF 50V ELECT FC RADIAL $0.34
              1x P12386-ND CAP 330UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL $0.51

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the explanation

From this thread https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...t=6930&page=14 a guy has the same monitor and lists the capacitors he plans to replace them with. I've got an order up on digi-key with the same parts and should be ready to go.

2x P12390-ND CAP 680UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL $1.34
                2x P12391-ND CAP 820UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL $1.50
                1x P10321-ND CAP 47UF 50V ELECT FC RADIAL $0.34
                1x P12386-ND CAP 330UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL $0.51

I just did a 214t that looks like it has the same board. The 820uf x 25v caps are too tall(25mm) and will be above the heatsinks. I used P11222-ND which is 20mm

Comment

I've got an order up on digi-key with the same parts and should be ready to go.
                  The danger with using someone else's order is that manufacturers will routinely change the board layout and designs. Even though the boards may look the same, the capacitors could change in value (uF).

It doesn't take long to measure the height, diameter, read the uF and voltage on your board and KNOW 100% that you order is correct.
                  --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Well, I bought a 40watt Weller iron and learned how to solder on this here board. When I plugged it in I couldn't believe that it worked, but, it did!

Thanks for all the help guys
                    Attached Files

Comment

@ infoengineering, no spamming on this website!
                      Never stop learning
                      Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                      http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Working...
                      X