Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA 110 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA 110 issue

Dear mod, please move this post to the computer discussion thread, not sure why its here when I selected general computer discussion. thank you

Hey Everyone,

I have a customer who owns a Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA 110 netbook.

Its specs are 1.6GHZ, 8GB SSD (no removable hard drive just on board flash) with 512MB ram.

She called and said when she presses the power buton, the lights on the power indicator come on and turn off immediately whether the battery and ac adapter are plugged or either one of them is plugged in, it results in the same issue.

I had her bring it over to let me have a look over on it. I plugged the ac adapter and turned it on (without the battery) it turns on then off in 1-2 seconds. I tried with the battery and same issue. I opened up the netbook inspected the motherboard and could not find any blown caps, switches, chips or any part on the board. I have tried a new ram, removed the cmos battery and it is still not turning on. The cpu fan will not spin at all.

However, when you plug the ac adapter in and the battery is in place, the battery does charge. More over, i believe the motherboard is the culprit. I also noticed that the wall charger she gave me with the laptop, its specs indicate that its a output- 19V 2.15A and underneath the laptop it says DC Rating 19V 1.58A. My feeling is that she may have lost her original adapter? and bought this new one not knowing to get the right type and may have friend the board?

I have contact her and I told her motherboard is fried and I can order a new one. I found the ac adapter on ebay for only $7 and its says 19V 1.58A on it.

My question is.. having too much amps can really fry a motherboard?

I have ordered her the new motherboard along with the new ac adapter, just in case that old one does not ruin the new motherboard.

Thank you for your help and i apologize for the long post.
    Last edited by osaeed; 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM. Reason: post in wrong thread
    "There is no place like 127.0.0.1"

Re: Acer Aspire One ZG5 AOA 110 issue

Amps = current.

This is the maximum current that the brick will allow before it A: pops the fuse or B: catches fire.

Amps x Volts = Watts

Your power adapter is rated for 40 watts.

You wasted money on buying a new power brick from ebay that is mostly likely a counterfeit or cheaply made, and will cause problems in the future.

As for the netbook, there's a short somewhere you'll need to find the fet or diode that's causing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
      Amps = current.

This is the maximum current that the brick will allow before it A: pops the fuse or B: catches fire.

Amps x Volts = Watts

Your power adapter is rated for 40 watts.

You wasted money on buying a new power brick from ebay that is mostly likely a counterfeit or cheaply made, and will cause problems in the future.

As for the netbook, there's a short somewhere you'll need to find the fet or diode that's causing it.
      Interesting. Thanks man for the information you provided. As for the adapter, she is paying, so its not a concern.

Thanks again

Comment

Schematic: http://monitor.espec.ws/download.php?id=73763

Your symptoms suggest the EC and standby supplies are OK but there's a fault in the main supply somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
          Schematic: http://monitor.espec.ws/download.php?id=73763

Your symptoms suggest the EC and standby supplies are OK but there's a fault in the main supply somewhere.

jeezes, that's so in depth . Rather just replace the board than find the problem on the board.

Comment

As for the adapter, she is paying, so its not a concern.

It should be a concern! - you buy an adapter she doesnt need, because you dont know enough about power supply specs. Its probably not as good as the one she had, and you have the audacity to charge for it.
            Some people might call it fraud.
            I have made a note to avoid your future posts.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by osaeed View Post
              jeezes, that's so in depth . Rather just replace the board than find the problem on the board.
              As selldoor's reply shows, that's not the attitude we have around here

Comment

its a delta brand power supply the same thing Acer uses on all of their netbooks, but the amps is 1.58. it is not a cheap power supply, as i can figure out that myself.

Why is that every ps i googled is 1.58A for THIS laptop??? My sister laptop has a 2.15A and her ps is 19v 2.15A exact.

I dont know.

Originally posted by selldoor View Post

It should be a concern! - you buy an adapter she doesnt need, because you dont know enough about power supply specs. Its probably not as good as the one she had, and you have the audacity to charge for it.
                Some people might call it fraud.
                Fraud? lol!!!

What if the board fried DUE to the power supply? Who knows. Better to be safe than sorry.

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
                I have made a note to avoid your future posts.
                Same here for myself.
                Last edited by osaeed; 03-30-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by b700029 View Post
                  As selldoor's reply shows, that's not the attitude we have around here
                  Which would you do?

a.) Charge her hourly for finding the problem on the board or have it repaired professionally to some company that will charge hundreds.

b.) Buy a new board that is on sale.

It is a netbook. She may have paid right around 200-300

She even said to me not to get it serviced. This model has problems with the board, bios and other things.

Comment

Originally posted by osaeed View Post
                    its a delta brand power supply the same thing Acer uses on all of their netbooks, but the amps is 1.58. it is not a cheap power supply, as i can figure out that myself.

Why is that every ps i googled is 1.58A for THIS laptop??? My sister laptop has a 2.15A and her ps is 19v 2.15A exact.

I dont know.

Fraud? lol!!!

What if the board fried DUE to the power supply? Who knows. Better to be safe than sorry.

Same here for myself.
                    If that was the case you would have used a DMM to check voltages on the Power brick.

You can fry stuff by over-volting the components. IE: Plugging something rated for 120v service into a 240v power source.

Also you can use an over-rated powerbricks on a laptop if it matches voltages and jack type.
                    Last edited by Mad_Professor; 04-01-2012, 02:40 AM.

Comment

I don't think the board or the power brick are fried. You likely have a corrupted BIOS, common issue on that model. Here's a link to the BIOS files and the tutorial to reflash it. http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/a...-recovery.html
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                      X