No announcement yet.

How to get free desoldering braid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to get free desoldering braid...

Its actually pretty easy figuring out what to do with the rest of the guts. The degaussing wire goes towards my magnet wire collection provided of course it is in a size that I don't have already. The PCB is scavenged for inductors, mosfets, low tolerance ceramic and film capacitors, current sense resistors, zener diodes, and whatever else looks interesting. Then on the back of the tube the yoke is stripped off and the copper wire is put back to sell for scrap along with any degaussing wire that I don't need. Finally the tube is "necked" to remove the vacuum inside the tube to prevent it from imploding when it is moves, the set is put in or on top of a barrel or other large container capable of holding glass shards and the tube is smashed to make room for another one. The plastic part usually goes in the burn pile.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Lurker View Post
      The plastic part usually goes in the burn pile.
      Bad idea!
      The fumes from that are highly carcinogenic.
      Smash it up as much as you can instead, and put it in your recycling bin.

Comment

True.

The plastic in CRT TV sets usually has flame retardants and hardeners which are toxic, carcinogenic.

The tube also contains lead and phosphorus, both bad for you - you shouldn't inhale any dust that results from breaking the screen.

Comment

Working...
        X