Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI PM8M-V 7104 won' post after cpu upgrade

hi everybody,
    new to this board and new to this concept of recapping.
    anyway, I got this motherboard used,It came with a P4 1.8 cpu @400MHz and it works great everything seems fine,but when I upgrade to a 2.8 cpu @ 800 MHz it won't post.I've tried everything I can think of.even bought a new 600 watt PSU.there are a row of 5 caps along the cpu, 3 are the KZG 3,300uf 6.3v that I've been reading about on this board, one has a little bulg.that's why I think it's somethink electrical.any thoughts or ideals would be welcome because I would like to get it fixed and I'm not interested in doing it myself.

thanks

Re: MSI PM8M-V 7104 won' post after cpu upgrade

2 things,
    1: are you sure the board supports that cpu / frontend clockspeed?
    going from 400 to 800 sounds a bit much.

2: have you got the latest bios?
    i had issues with upgrading athlon's because the bios was older than the cpu i wanted to use.
    answer was to refit the older cpu, flash the bios, then put the new one back.

Comment

yes to both of those

Comment

the one on the left is the suspected cap (KZG)

Comment

error uploading photo will try to resize and try again

Comment

this is it
            Attached Files

Comment

that's bad i think - i'd change the set together.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
                that's bad i think - i'd change the set together.
                I dont exactly see where you say that it is bad. Yes the cap is at an angle, but the caps are not flush against the board so it would be very easy to slightly bend it out of the row angle with the others.

as for replacing them, just knowing that they are KZG's I would replace them. also, did you try resetting the bios. maybe trying a hard reboot of the bios will work (removing battery, jumper reset, etc)

Comment

it actually looks like the bung may be coming out of the base.

Comment

you are right. i missed that. it is kinda hard to see with a small picture..

Comment

is this better?
                      Attached Files

Comment

from those it actually looks like all 3 are starting to blow from the bottom..

also, from those pic's i noticed one other thing too.. I would take a good check over that board. I don't know if you noticed or not but that board is warped. It bows down right where the CPU is. last time i checked, motherboards were flat, not bowed.

Comment

It's probably bowing because of the heatsink. I see it on brand new LGA775 boards all of the time.

Comment

Agree with seanc here. It can also be observed with the older Pentium 4 motherboards...Socket 478. It did seem weird that even a stock heatsink would bow the motherboard until I found out that it was done intentionally.

Comment

so in your opinion do you thing this might be my problem? why it only boots with one type of processor? I'm thinking it might be a voltage problem because this cpu takes 1.75v and the other ones run on low voltage.I did get it to boot once but it only registered as a 2.3 GHz (it's a 2.8) but when I turned it off it never booted again.I want to get this fix but I don't get any response from these websites that offer to fix it when I fill out my info.

Comment

The failed capacitors cannot handle the extra requirements of the new processor compared to the older one. The fact that it works at all is a bonus, at least you know you're not fighting a lost cause.

You need to replace those capacitors, then it should be fine.

Comment

going to attempt to change the caps, got a VIA P4PB 400 to practice on,got about 7 bulged caps (GSC) it's doing the samething as this MSI board is doing.

Comment

going to attempt to change the caps, got a VIA P4PB 400 to practice on,got about 7 bulged caps (GSC) it's doing the samething as this MSI board is doing.I'll update later

Comment

Good luck. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

Comment

Bloating is only one of several failure modes.

Chemicon KZG are known high failure rate parts and they often fail without any bloating at all.

Chemicon KZJ are suspected of having the same problem but they aren't common enough to make the call. Most companies that want ESR as low as KZJ use polymer caps instead.

OST [any series] also frequently fail with no bloating on motherboards.
                                        Mann-Made Global Warming.
                                        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                                        -
                                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                                        -

Comment

Working...
                                        X