Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blown Cap on GTX 460 GFX card. Halp?

Hi all!

First time poster here, was referred to you by the Whirlpool internet/broadband forums. Must say, it seems like an excellent resource!

I've been running dual 460 cards in SLI for a while, seems one of them was a little loose in it's slot and the heatsink was resting on another cards cap, which exploded. I'm hoping theres no collateral damage.

However, I'm having trouble identifying where to get a replacement cap!

Cap was at the rear (right) of the card, marked PMCE1 on the board. There's two other caps on the board of the same size... PMCE2 and PCE1.

PCE 1 says on its top
    5KQ08
    16v

PMCE2 says
    5KQ08 (may be 6, the last digits slightly rubbed off)
    16v

Heres a shitty iphone gallery showing closeups of the missing cap and other remaining ones. The missing cap did not launch into the stratosphere, I removed it. http://imgur.com/a/ng3Ck

Re: Blown Cap on GTX 460 GFX card. Halp?

Those caps are Apaq polymers. Little is known about them as to their reliability, but I've always had a sneaking suspicion that they are junk (and maybe I'm right). I'm assumming that the failed one is a 270uF 16V (like the other two). In that case, use something like http://search.digikey.com/au/en/prod...018-ND/1136108 (assumming you're located in the US). Replace the other two similar ones as well.

You could also replace the smaller ones as well, although I can't tell the capacitance and voltage from that picture.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Wait a minute, whirlpool forums. That's here in Australia. In that case, use http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Fujitsu...item43a489e58c - digikey's shipping as quite high. If I need something badcaps.net doesn't have, I get them from him.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Cheap! Good. At that price theres no reason not to "try" the card's repair in a junk box.

You think I should replace all the APAQ's I can find then?

Yeah. this is an asus card. only had a 1 year warranty :/ vs most 460's 3.

Comment

I would replace them all, just to be sure none of the others fail in the future (and because caps are cheap). I'm assumming the others are 820uF 2.5v, in which case the markings would be something like:

xxxxx
          2.5v

If so, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Sanyo-S...item45ee5efb4e would do nicely as replacments.

Comment

APAC has a site but no mention of that [5KQ] series at all.
            The 08 [or 06] is just a date or batch code.

Moved PIC to here.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 11-06-2011, 10:51 AM.
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

^^ um... is it Apac or Apaq?

EDIT: Apaq

Comment

looks torn off rather than blown.

Comment

I have a PNY GTX460 in my PC if there's anything I can cross-reference for you.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    ^^ um... is it Apac or Apaq?

EDIT: Apaq
                    http://www.apaq.com.tw/products/ap_conarea01_en.htm
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                      looks torn off rather than blown.
                      Yes, I twisted the bugger off to get a better look at it on-the-spot as I didn't have my usual tools in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc View Post
                        I have a PNY GTX460 in my PC if there's anything I can cross-reference for you.
                        Thanks, but if replacing caps doesn't fix the issue I'm writing it off, with the new gfx cards coming out (allegedly) in Jan there's nothing else so value-for-money compared to my old sli rig

Comment

Working...
                        X