Acer 5710 issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer 5710 issue

Just got a call from a friend whose all-in-one desktop took a dump on the hard drive. The hard drive randomly clicks on startup and won't load windows so I think it's dead. Anyway, I got another person to go take a look at her computer and well... the BIOS is locked too. We were going to try Hirens boot CD to see if that hard drive would come back to life or at least get something off it even though most of the important stuff on there (e.g. photos and typed documents) have been backed up to an external HDD recently.
    This PC is like an iMac where it's all in a thin slab. A BIOS locked with a password isn't doing us too many favours either.
    How do you reset the BIOS password? I've tried looking on the net and there's no mention of a CMOS battery or at least some pins inside.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Acer 5710 issue

I'm guessing it's one of these Acer All in One Z5 Aspire Z5710 ( PW.SDB02.054)

Could always try to contact Acer.

Otherwise removing cmos battery and the other ways of getting past bios password.
    My pc
    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Yup, thats the one. Z5710. How do you get to the "battery"?! I'm hoping this unit isn't like those stupid IBM Thinkpads where disconnecting the battery does squat.
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

Heres the service guide PDF

This product series unfortunately, is dogged by overheating problems due to poor ventilation. Common faults are early video component and HD failure.
        A pity since they're kind of nice.

Taking out the CMOS battery for a time WILL reset the BIOS back to factory defaults but Im not sure the BIOS password is stored in the same 'user data' area ?

Comment

I looked through the service manual and couldnt locate any pictures of a cmos battery! Dont tell me its soldered in like in the 90's!

Comment

Take that back, found it in the pictures. Appears to be covered by black tape. Oh the woes of pulling this thing apart!

Comment

I get like that, having to almost completely disassemble some types of laptops just to get to the simplest things. Tedious. Yours isn't really so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gariarto View Post
                I get like that, having to almost completely disassemble some types of laptops just to get to the simplest things. Tedious. Yours isn't really so bad.
                Totally agree with you there. I've been re-shelling laptops for a while now (ie. moving good components from a damaged unit to a good chassis etc.), it can be very tedious! I commonly replace fans... not so tedious but can be a pain getting to the fan after taking the palmrest off!
                Most tedious to work on are Macbooks! too many itty bitty wires and differently shaped screws.

Comment

Friend wants to sell me her Acer now. She said she wants an iMac instead. :-/
                  She wants $200 for it which I think is a bargain. I wanted to charge her $150 for a new HDD, Windows re-install and the BIOS reset cause it's a pain in the ass to get there. Just checked online and $200 can't even get me the Core i7 processor that this unit has!

Comment

Originally posted by stevo1210 View Post
                    Friend wants to sell me her Acer now. She said she wants an iMac instead. :-/
                    She wants $200 for it which I think is a bargain. I wanted to charge her $150 for a new HDD, Windows re-install and the BIOS reset cause it's a pain in the ass to get there. Just checked online and $200 can't even get me the Core i7 processor that this unit has!
                    Sounds like a deal to me !

Comment

Okay, now that I have my hands on this Acer... just gotta figure out what way I can get around the BIOS password issue without cracking it open to get to the battery. I call the pulling apart bit plan Z. Now plan A is a BIOS reflash... will that clear anything? Apparently the service manual says I can download a flash BIOS from Acer through USB and the hold CTRL+HOME and it will read from the USB drive. I rang Acer and they said to try this method with the USB as well OR pay $165 to get the PW reset by Acer!

Comment

I think I'd uncover that rtc battery before flashing the BIOS. A bad flash is soooo much more of a problem than backing out screws. I'm sure you've successfully updated a BIOS before right ? Flashing from a USB stick is easy enough when the existing BIOS has its own updating firmware.

Comment

Never mind fixing this thing. Friend ended up getting it back to Acer through warranty somehow and it's come back squeaky clean. All is good again.

Comment

Working...
                          X