a giiiiiiiift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a giiiiiiiift

after helping the Nix's out with thier laptop problems and the problems with thier two harmony remotes, they decided to give me their old toshi

I must admit, i'm impressed

PDC - 4gb ddr2 120gb sata. 16:10 big screen

thier oS (vista) became corrupted, so they just got a new laptop. I'm recovering their data right now, they didn't ask me to, but I'd figure they would be grateful of I did them this service too

I'm *HOPING* to bump the CPU up to a core 2. but like with my dv1000, i'm not sure of the compatibility, especially with OEM's.

Its a satilite L45 series. Anyone have any idea what 478 (socket M) c2d's could go in it?
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: a giiiiiiiift

I was wrong, its 2x1gb dual channel pair. oh well

putting xp on it twas a pain in the ass. for some inane reason they put a frankenstein usb controller chip on the wifi card and a usb realtek chip connected to that. So instead of realtek 8187, they changed the hwid to 8197. I edited the inf of the latest 8187 and boom, actually loaded, shows wifi just fine, now just for connectivity tests. Hopefully this isn't one of those tops that can only take one type of card. toshibas site lists an atheros driver too so I might be able to put another pcie card in there.

it had a atk0100 driver. I remember this from asus, and it did not work. turns out asus is usually atk0110 (maybe except for newer models), not 0100. found an asus atk0110 (actually made by atk) and boom, goes to sleep when I close the lid now. yay. awesome

i'm going to to miss the back button right next to my touch pad on my dv1000

oh yeah and the lighter weight :P

edit: oh now awesome. synapitcs touchpad lets me set 'tap zones'. I set it to tap the left hand corner of my pad to go back a webpage, and the right to go forward). I made the zones smaller than default. this is so freaking cool yayya thank you synapticis!
    Last edited by Uranium-235; 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Socket P supercedes Socket M, but they also made Core2 in Socket M all the way up to T7xx I think... It *should* work, but download the latest Bios for the laptop and then examine the microcode to see which CPUs are supported... You should also put SLIC 2.1 on it so you can go to Windows 7.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Dude, nice! I bet if you updated the BIOS you could throw a T7500 in there, that'd be a pretty good upgrade. Get it up to 4GB and that's a really good system!

Comment

I have a copy of oem 7 pro I havne't activated in more than 3 months, which means I have another activation

but i'm not going to, not until I get 4gb and c2d, and something better than a 120gb toshi HDD. I'm going for at least a 250gb wd scorpio black 7200

Comment

any idea how to see what cpu microcodes are supported by this bios?

Comment

Ask on the BIOS-MODS forum...

Also, OEM 7 will work without an SLIC?
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

oem 7 gives you a new activation every 3 months, and its been more than that since my last activation, so I have another one

Comment

I've been trying to find any kind of list of CPU codes or the microcode ids but hours of research has turned up nothing
                  Attached Files

Comment

Since it has a stock PDC (and not a C1S/ C1D or a PM), I'd be inclined to say any of the Socket M ones is fair game... Just make sure the BIOS is up to date before you try an upgrade.
                    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Are you sure it's socket M ? Socket M and Socket P are both listed as PPGA478 on the intel Website.
                      On my Aspire 5600, I went from a Core Duo T2250 to a Core 2 Duo T5300 without any trouble, though the main difference between the two is the T5300 is 64bit (same FSB, same frequency, same cache). I'm always hoping to find a T7600 on a dumpster find, it's the best socket M processor you can get.

Comment

Socket P is not backwards compatible with Socket M and Socket P chips won't work with Socket M.

U-235: Look at the date... The last micrococde update was after the release of the last Socket M chip so flash this BIOS and you should be able to upgrade the CPU.

Comment

cpuid lists this as socket P

will socket M chips work in socket P?

a T7300 isn't out of the question but cutting it a little close, infact its about dead on with the last microcode update, which is what worries me. I don't want to spend $20-30 on a c2d to have it not work

right now actually the battery is a priority. this thing is years newer than my dv1000 and goes dead in 20 mins, I guess someone got a new battery for the dv1000 only a year or two after it was given to me

edit: nevermind, wikipedia tells me it not compatible
                          Last edited by Uranium-235; 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

No. You need a socket P cpu. I think the key pins are different too.

Be sure you get the right fsb cpu. Early socket p laptops (like my d630) are only good for 800 MHz.
                            sigpic

Comment

no pins are the same, but not electronically compatible

well fucking great. I updated the bios, which went just fine, I can get into cmos but get a 'error loading opearting system' when trying to boot off the HDD

I can cdboot ubuntu just fine.

edit: ubuntu sees all the files just fine

awwww you know what I think happened. I used the bios updater from inside windows, and I bet it was built to run inside vista, so it added itself to the HDD boot sector, then wrote a vista bootmgr to it (cause xp was never ment to be supported in this top). A fixmbr and fixboot from a xp cd should fix it. errr I hope. I should of done the ISO bios update
                              Last edited by Uranium-235; 07-12-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

FYI, ALWAYS use the .iso Updates... It's OS independant and IMHO more foolproof.

For older DOS based updaters, I like to add the required files to a Win 98 .iso and boot it with CD support and run the updater from there.
                                sigpic

Comment

not even fixboot or fixmbr is working. seems i'll have to do a re-install

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                    not even fixboot or fixmbr is working. seems i'll have to do a re-install
                                    Check it is trying to boot the correct drive.
                                    My pc
                                    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                                    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                                    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                                    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                                    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

oh yes, already been to the boot menu. tried to re-install windows and it bluescreens now (installed with the same disc as before). First time I installed I did a full format with no problems, this time was a quick format. i'm going to do a full format again and see if it works. if not, I might have to win7 this. I wish I saved the old bios

Comment

still bluescreens: 7B-know it well. HD controller driver? really? I might have to nlite the latest specific driver into a windows install instead of using driverpacks mass storage

still after it installs, it sets everything up just fine. i'm gonna search for the driver file in the installation in a second

Comment

Working...
                                        X