Another Dell in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Dell in the house

It's been a while since I bought any products off eBay manufactured by Dell. I've been buying second hand HP and Toshiba units for uni which are pretty decent but today I saw one that I just couldn't resist.

I paid $117 for a Dell Latitude XT1. Core 2 Duo U7700, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD and 12.1" LED screen. It in near new condition and it even comes with a carry case and charger! Compare $117 to my $90 incomplete HP TC4200 that I got last year. I ended up putting nearly $150 on top of the $90 to make the TC4200 functional!

This isn't a regular laptop, but a tablet PC with a capacitive screen which you can use your fingers to select things unlike my HP TC4200 which needs a special wacom type pen.

These go for near the $350 mark as a buy-it-now item, I scored it for $117. Only differences to the $350 buy-it-now units is that I only have 1GB RAM and a 40GB HDD compared to 2-3GB RAM and a larger HDD. The 1GB RAM is the soldered RAM that's attached to the board, there is a SODIMM slot under the laptop to add another 2GB RAM. the 40GB HDD is a 1.8" ZIF drive but as I am using this for word processing and viewing power point presentations at university, 40GB is plenty.

The same seller had another unit identical but with 3GB RAM and an 80GB HDD, but a 1.2GHz CPU for $123 when the auction ended... I wanted the 1.33 so I waited for another few minutes for this one and won it for $117. I know $5 can't get me an 80GB HDD or another 2GB of RAM, but the CPU is soldered in so I can't just change the 1.2 to a 1.33 so I had to get the 1.33 with less memory and space.

I already have memory so that will be nil in costs. As mentioned, the 40GB is plenty for me. If I'm really willing, I may *probably wont happen* opt for an SSD.

Anyway, I'm interested in WWAN 3G internet. The Latitude XT has this option for a mini PCIe WWAN card and an external whip antenna. I can't locate the whip antenna though... help?
    Last edited by stevo1210; 09-06-2012, 03:27 AM.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Another Dell in the house

If it like it is in the US, screw the 3g. They'll make you pay for 4g service even though you can only get 3g. It sucks.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

We just got 4G at the beginning of the year. Theres no difference in price between 3 & 4g. If your device supports 4g then hands up to you, if you only have 3g compatability then its your own problem. I pay $15 for 3 months of 3g and im pretty happy though my network says if i have 4g then i will be able to take advantage of it. Anyway, kudos to anyone who can locate a whip antenna or at least something to fill the antenna hole!
      Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

I decided to call Dell parts directly just now. And... They have the whip antenna for 3G! Best of all, its only $22! Not the $70 online sellers were asking for!!
        Now to play the waiting game...

Comment

I just got a Tel$tra 3G sim card for my IBM Thinkpad T60. It has inbuilt 3G woreless, but it was originally locked to Vodafone (Vodafail), which has zero service around here. I had to use DC-unlocker to unlock it.
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I'm with Vodafone. Yes I know what you mean! They ended up giving me a discount for my phone plan because of the signal issues.
            Anyway, WWAN cards are locked?! Better look for an unlocked one lol.

Comment

Reception issues in Sydney? Seriously, The most populated city in the coundry and Vodafail can't even have proper coverage there?!

Anyhow, Yes, WWAN cards can be locked, but can be cheaply or freely unlocked with DC-Ulocker (depending on whether the cracked versions work with your card).

Around here, Telstra/Bigpond is the only 3G/4G ISP with good coverage. Optus (Floptus) is patchy and often congested, and Vodafail doesn't work at all.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I added an extra 1GB of memory to the laptop and... well here's my $22 whip antenna fully installed. Sealed up that hole really good! Now to find a WWAN card!

Last edited by stevo1210; 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Windows Vistrash!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X