Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google paying AdblockPlus to unblock their ads

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
    You can install Adblock plus in Firefox through the addons menu. Works just as well or better than in Chrome.
    Thanks Agent but for me? in Google chrome i just open the streaming site and click the ABP applet one time, and shows element, than i click the ABP applet again, this is the example on this site; kriv8.ucoz.com and leave,##titleewrapper, and voila no more annoying adds.

http://postimg.org/image/o9foj83xb/f58539d3/

Comment

Yeah, the process is much the same in Firefox. Right click on the ad, and choose "Adblock: Block image". You get a filter edit window there too if you need to make some adjustments to the rule.
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Yeah, the process is much the same in Firefox. Right click on the ad, and choose "Adblock: Block image". You get a filter edit window there too if you need to make some adjustments to the rule.
        Well it's not that easy, i tried but can't do it,in Chrome you don't click on any add,you click on the site that is being blocked like try; firstrowsports,you get a black screen over the site,i tried to block element in fire fox,but no avail. doing it in fire fox is not the same easy way i do it in chrome no way.

Comment

Hmm.. I just tried and couldn't get it to work either - could only block the whole page. There is probably some way to do it through advanced filter editing but I'm not sure either, now!

Guessing it's going to be something to do with this: https://adblockplus.org/en/filters#elemhide_domains
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Hmm.. I just tried and couldn't get it to work either - could only block the whole page. There is probably some way to do it through advanced filter editing but I'm not sure either, now!

Guessing it's going to be something to do with this: https://adblockplus.org/en/filters#elemhide_domains
            You're talking about Google chrome or Fire Fox?
            If you're talking about Fire Fox on that specific site, firstrowsports, then you're right,it use to block adds at some time with ABP without doing any extra element add block,but at some time i had to Google, how to watch streams in this site without disabling Adblock,and i came across instructions on doing it in Google chrome and there were some instructions to do it in fire fox,but i easily did it in Chrome and never could do it in Fire Fox,so i moved all my computers to Google Chrome web browser,and i watch all my favorite streams in that specific site without having to worried about damn adds either in Win and Linux in Chrome.check this out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/...dblock_prompt/

Comment

I just noticed that YouTube has put in some stupid autoplay option now. After a video finishes playing, another will start automatically. I am guessing Google did this so that they can display more ads. After all, for the people who don't have an ad blocker, an ad will very likely be played before the next video begins.

Sometimes I wonder what YouTube would have become if they said "no" to the Google buyout and continued doing what they were doing. Early YouTube was so efficient and well organized. And the related videos actually made sense. The related videos now are based on surfing habits that are tracked by IP. How I came up with this?
              To keep it short, I watched videos on topic "A" on one computer, and later a few videos on a different topic "B" on that same computer. After this, I moved to my other computer, which has had its history and cookies cleared. As soon as I watched two videos on topic "B", it immediately suggested all of the videos from topic "A" that I watched on the other computer.
              Both of my computers are connected to the same router, and hence they appear to the outside net as the same IP address (the router's assigned IP by the modem).

This explains why sometimes I will see suggested videos on the side that had nothing to do with what I watched at all - like ever. So this suggests to me that the data generated by the IP tracking is only temporary. After all, most people's IPs are dynamic, so it wouldn't make sense to keep long term data. But it probably takes some time before it clears, which explains some of the suggested video randomness.

These are just some of my theories, though. Don't take it as if this is the truth (but it could be? )
              Last edited by momaka; 02-06-2015, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                I just noticed that YouTube has put in some stupid autoplay option now. After a video finishes playing, another will start automatically.
                that happens if you view a video referenced from a collection, if the address field only covers the video and not the uploaders "page" it wont happen.

Comment

Hmm.... you are right! Videos that didn't do it that I saved to my favorites still don't do it.

Comment

I just noticed that YouTube has put in some stupid autoplay option now. After a video finishes playing, another will start automatically. I am guessing Google did this so that they can display more ads. After all, for the people who don't have an ad blocker, an ad will very likely be played before the next video begins.

Sometimes I wonder what YouTube would have become if they said "no" to the Google buyout and continued doing what they were doing. Early YouTube was so efficient and well organized. And the related videos actually made sense. The related videos now are based on surfing habits that are tracked by IP. How I came up with this?
                    To keep it short, I watched videos on topic "A" on one computer, and later a few videos on a different topic "B" on that same computer. After this, I moved to my other computer, which has had its history and cookies cleared. As soon as I watched two videos on topic "B", it immediately suggested all of the videos from topic "A" that I watched on the other computer.
                    Both of my computers are connected to the same router, and hence they appear to the outside net as the same IP address (the router's assigned IP by the modem).

This explains why sometimes I will see suggested videos on the side that had nothing to do with what I watched at all - like ever. So this suggests to me that the data generated by the IP tracking is only temporary. After all, most people's IPs are dynamic, so it wouldn't make sense to keep long term data. But it probably takes some time before it clears, which explains some of the suggested video randomness.

These are just some of my theories, though. Don't take it as if this is the truth (but it could be? )
                    drive me up the wall youtube, will you!
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by ivtec View Post
                      You're talking about Google chrome or Fire Fox?
                      If you're talking about Fire Fox on that specific site, firstrowsports, then you're right,it use to block adds at some time with ABP without doing any extra element add block,but at some time i had to Google, how to watch streams in this site without disabling Adblock,and i came across instructions on doing it in Google chrome and there were some instructions to do it in fire fox,but i easily did it in Chrome and never could do it in Fire Fox,so i moved all my computers to Google Chrome web browser,and i watch all my favorite streams in that specific site without having to worried about damn adds either in Win and Linux in Chrome.check this out.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/...dblock_prompt/
                      Yeah, I was trying it in Firefox.

Interesting article, I don't watch sports, but some of the info might be useful on other websites
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

The related videos now are based on surfing habits that are tracked by IP. How I came up with this?
                        I think this just happened to me.

A video I watched on my laptop a few days ago under my own Youtube account showed up today, in the related videos list of a completely unrelated subject as "recommended for you" on my other computer while someone else was signed in to their Youtube account. The only common thing is that both computers are on the same internet connection.

Doesn't prove it's based on IP address, but it sure seems to fit the theory.
                        -David VanHorn

Comment

For me has long as they don't pay to unblock on my favorite streaming site ,i'm good he,he,he.

Comment

I think this just happened to me.

A video I watched on my laptop a few days ago under my own Youtube account showed up today, in the related videos list of a completely unrelated subject as "recommended for you" on my other computer while someone else was signed in to their Youtube account. The only common thing is that both computers are on the same internet connection.

Doesn't prove it's based on IP address, but it sure seems to fit the theory.
                            I f#$%ing hate "recommended for you" BS, isn't it bad enough that eBay does it? "Popular on eBay" and its creator both need to die in a slow-burning, agonizing fire.

I gave up on YouTube the day Google said f#$% you to all the non-affiliated YouTubers by blocking access to their own accounts (e.g. you can only log into YouTube if you have a Google account, or now, a Google+ account; previously you could still log in with your old YouTube account but it would nag you to sign up/"upgrade" to a Google account). Why they can't let old members log in (e.g. to delete videos or remove their YouTube account entirely), even without the ability to upload, is anyone's guess (prior to blocking old non-Google users entirely, they had already blocked users from commenting if they didn't have a Google/g+ account).

Comment

Google+ pisses me off too. If I ever make any decent videos I think I will put them on Vimeo or something else that isn't Youtube.
                              -David VanHorn

Comment

I just chuck them on 2shared and be done with it, odds are it will download faster, not be converted into crappily-compressed formats designed for streaming, and won't get corrupted either.

It just means that you have to download the whole thing before you can watch, but at least it will download an order of magnitude faster than YouTube these days - gone are the days where it used to download the entire file if you paused and waited, now the download pauses when you pause, negating the purpose of pausing to buffer the video in the first place! If it even downloads to begin with - "An error occurred, please try again later".

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                  That explains why ADP wasn't working on some sites today... I'm OK with ads as long as they aren't "in the way". If it's like a billboard on the highway, fine... if it's like a "free vacation" style IN YOUR FACE kind of thing, screw that crap.
                                  I know, right?! I hate that. It TOTALLY makes me NOT want to buy the product, even if it is for rubycon or NCC capacitors. (Though, I've yet to see an ad for any capacitor manufacturer xD)

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                  and darn it!! The main reason I use ABP is to get around those stupid spewtube ads!
                                  Me too. That is the reason I got it. If anything, having to watch a 30 second ad on YT makes me close the tab, or go to a different page.
                                  Enabling ads on your videos is the worst thing you can do ... you get money, and other people suffer.

Also, don't you just hate how ads use more resources?
                                  They slow down your computer, even if it's a good rig!
                                  I'm the kind of person who frequently has many tabs at any given time (usually about 5 to up to 15 or so)

I've seen a number of ads on kid's TV channels for ... (drum roll) ... 'adult' things!

I had a feeling that eventually, something like this would happen.
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Please let it be true: http://www.neowin.net/news/google-is...s-and-hangouts

I hope this means the end of the shitty YouTube\Google+ integration...
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

Please let it be true: http://www.neowin.net/news/google-is...s-and-hangouts

I hope this means the end of the shitty YouTube\Google+ integration...
                                      Actually I hope they won't screw it up more. I've finally gotten used to the YouTube and G+ integration. I have a description and what not on my G+ page, so it is useful. Interestingly I have gotten 11,806 views on my profile xD
                                      https://plus.google.com/u/0/+BenjaminEsposti/about
                                      I do on occasion look at other folks profiles, and I look through their posts, and comment if I find anything interesting or worth commenting about.
                                      Last edited by ben7; 03-04-2015, 06:43 AM. Reason: Don't need no reasons xD
                                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                        I've finally gotten used to the YouTube and G+ integration.
                                        Not me, the comments for example are still completely buggered ...
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Not me, the comments for example are still completely buggered ...
                                          Yeah I know, I still don't like that, but I've gotten used to it...
                                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                          X