Chinese plague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese plague

I had a Asus FX5600 class AGP video card that quit ...... a couple of years ago. It was still within the 3 year warranty period, so got an RMA from Asus. They quickly replaced it, no questions asked. But they never explained what the problem was.

I am attaching a photo that I made. Looks almost like a cap leaking, but there is no electrolytic cap in the area affected. It was under the pc board coating, and stopped at the gold plated connection tab.

Anyone have a similar experience, or perhaps know what this might be???
    Attached Files
    Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Re: Chinese plague

>>But they never explained what the problem was.<<
    They rarely do. It's "chuck it in the recycle bin and send a refurb or new one". Fixing these mass produced items doesn't make $en$e.

Could be bad flux, moisture trapped under the coating, slag on/in the solder bath, somebody touched the board, ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickle relish...?

Toast
    veritas odium parit

Comment

looks like an exploded resistor (did that to a jetway when i connected the usb header wrong )

or the things toasty saud
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

perhaps know what this might be???
        it's GOOOOO!
        <wink>

Comment

Is that picture from the dead one you returned, or the new one?
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Picture is dead board that I returned. Replacement is still working fine.
            Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

Working...
            X