Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell SP2208WFP 2 seconds to black

Hi All,

I have a Dell SP2208WFP monitor which has the "2 second to black" problem. The backlight goes off and i can see the test image moving very dimly. I stripped the monitor down expecting to see a bad capacitor, bulging etc but all looked pretty good. I saw a few which maybe looked a little different on top to the others so I suspected them. I removed them from the board and tested them for capacitance. They were all fine. After reading a bit more about ESR I bought a Peak ESR tester and tested all the Electrolytics. They were all fine. I tested all electrolytic capacitors on both PCBs. Now I am a bit stumped. Could it be the CCFL lamps themselves that are faulty?

Where do I go from here?

Any help appreciated.

Re: Dell SP2208WFP 2 seconds to black

Originally posted by termin8r View Post
    Could it be the CCFL lamps themselves that are faulty?
    2 seconds to black can be

a) bad ccfls
    b) bad ccfl wiring
    c) bad secondary inverter transformer
    d) bad caps

All explained and more starting with post #19 at

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10419
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi Termin8r,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you had a look at retiredcaps post 2 seconds to black step by step guide?

The easiest way to test the CCFL's is if you have a good working CCFL and test them in your Dell.

Looks like I was too slow
      Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
      Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Thanks for that Guys. That was just what I am looking for in terms of information. I will read through it and see what diagnosis I can get. I will make a note of all the testing I do and if I get nowhere, I will take some photos and get back on here with them and the results of my testing so far.

Thanks again.

Comment

Very interesting read. i think I'll start with the CCFL testing to eliminate them.

I have some questions about the test procedure.
          I don't have a spare CCFL but for that procedure where you swap in a known good one, what would happen if more than 1 CCFL was faulty? Wouldn't the 2 sec to black still remain but you would have thought that the problem was not with the CCFLs? Or is the failure of 2 CCFLs extremley unlikely.

The second procedure given is when no spare is available (my situation). I guess where it says expect #1, etc it means except #1.

Excuse my ignorance, can plugging in one CCFL work or does the circuitry require all 4 to be plugged in?
          If it can work with only 1 then why is this procedure not better than using the spare? Surely only if all 4 CCFLs were failing the same way would the second procedure fail to tell you anything. Or am i missing something here as i don't fully understand the phrase "this test only discovers a completely dead CCFL or completely broken wiring". What might this test miss and why?

Comment

Good questions.

The chip that controllers the inverters which powers your ccfls has a pin on it which senses to see if there is a problem with the ccfls. This pin as I understand will not feedback to the chip for the first 2 seconds but after the 2 seconds it will check the current coming in on that pin. f the current coming in on that pin is to high or to low then it will stop powering the inverters effectively switching them back off. So if you for example only had one plugged in it should work for 2 seconds then turn back off again even though the ccfl is good as it knows that the amount of current on that pin does not compare with what it should for 2 or 4 good ccfls. When a ccfl breaks its like a broken circuit. Exactly the same as what you would get if you just unplugged the ccfls.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.
            Last edited by Jasgriff; 04-02-2012, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that JasGriff. That was an excellent response and clears that up a lot. I noticed a cheap laptop CCFL on ebay for £10. Would that be ok for testing? Is any CCFL suitable or would different models have different current consumption causing the protection circuitry to trigger?

Comment

Rather than buying one you could take a look at these pictures that Budm has put up to demonstrate to you what they look like.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19835

You could check to see if yours are the same. In my experience when you take out the CCFL and pull on the thinner wire you will normally find that it just comes off in your hand you can then carefully resolder this and then your up and running again.

Comment

Hi - it might be ok - are you intending doing a lot of monitor repairs? if not I would not order yet. Your screen is 22" if the laptop ccfl is say 17" the difference may be enough to trip the protection circuits referred to above.
                  Unless you noticed the screen flashing or turning pink prior to it not working I would be inclined to keep ccfls in mind but move on to testing the Inverter transformer/s
                  I have been trying to find a pic of your monitor insides but failed. When you post pics we can help with tests on these , although it is in the 2 sec to black guide.

EDIT
                  I see jasgriff has responded - testing the Transformers is easier than disassembling the panel.
                  Last edited by selldoor; 04-02-2012, 04:30 AM.
                  Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I remembered that I have a broken old 15.4 inch laptop screen so I removed the CCFL from it. After dismantling it, I realised that i wouldn't want to do that on my 22" dell because it looked very fiddly and hard to put back together. i think I will start with the transformer testing since it should be easy enough. I can take some pictures also when I have it open again.

Comment

So you now have the CCFL's from the broken monitor?

Does it have the same CCFL connector as your Dell?

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
                        So you now have the CCFL's from the broken monitor?

Does it have the same CCFL connector as your Dell?
                        There was only 1 CCFL in the laptop. I don't know if it is the same connector as the Dell yet since I am at work and the Dell is at home.

The laptop was Dell also but that might not mean much. It used to be a beautiful WUXGA 15.4 screen (not many of those about now) and it was at least 7 years old!! Some much for advancing technology always being better....

Comment

Yep times are changing. I see that the majority are going back to Matt screens now too.

Comment

to termin8r:
                            Have you fixed the problem? I got this "2 sec" issue at my SP2208WFP since last week and wonder if you could suggest anything.
                            Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by werwooolf View Post
                              to termin8r:
                              Have you fixed the problem? I got this "2 sec" issue at my SP2208WFP since last week and wonder if you could suggest anything.
                              Thanks!
                              Why don't you start this as a new thread. You will likely get more help. Remember to give a clear description of the symptoms and take good clear pictures of the front and back of the Power Board and the Main Board. Also make sure they are posted with the attachments section for this site and are of less than 2000 X 2000 pixels.
                              Have you ever stopped to think and then forget to start thinking again?

As a very wise man once said on this forum: "Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most."

Comment

Originally posted by killian6pk View Post
                                You will likely get more help.
                                Or if the poster said, I read post #2 and have the following clarification questions ...
                                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi

I have two of these monitors hooked up to my mac pro. Recently we had torrential rain and some arsehole left a plug extension stretching from inside to outside during the bad weather. This caused the power in the house to keep tripping off. Since then one of my Dell SP2208WFP monitor has been playing up for a nearly a month now I guess its because something has blown inside one of them. The result is that i now own one normal monitor and another 'Dell SP2208WFP 2 second black' monitor.... Great. Each monitor has their own power supply from separate extension leads.... I guess one extension lead dealt well with the power surge and the other didn't? I don't know I am just guessing. Anyway... no doubt the power surge has caused the problem so if that is the case then what is the most likely problem in the monitor out of all the 6 things mentioned in the thread posted above?

A QUICK TEMPORARY FIX!.. The monitor has been working... kind of. There is a temporary fix thats worked for me but it will most likely reoccur later until eventually the monitor wears itself dead. The steps i took to get the monitor working are...

-Unplug your HDMI cables or whatever they are (only leave the power supply lead in)

-keep clicking the input button (the button that switches between analog display and digital display) over and over until eventually the small box that says something like 'white green blue red' shows permanently without going to black screen

-plug your cables back in - the monitor is staying on now so it should work ok

good luck! Oh and if somebody with a little more expertise could reply to my question above that would be class

cheers!

Comment

Hi - I got in the same type of monitor with 2 sec to black. During the period of functionality bottom of screen was dimmer. Replaced a bunch of 330uf 35v caps. Now it lights up great and stays on but only shows white screen. What did I do wrong?
                                    Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                    X