SmartVision LCD Monitor/TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SmartVision LCD Monitor/TV

Can you explain me that low ESR , I dont know that that means.

And those voltages from my last post are fine ?

Comment

Originally posted by SmartVision View Post
      Can you explain me that low ESR , I dont know that that means.

And those voltages from my last post are fine ?
      ESR means 'Equivalent Series Resistance'. A theoretical model of a capacitor would show not only the capacitor, but a resistor in parallel with the capacitor and an inductor and resistor in series with the leads of the capacitor. The parallel resistor represents leakage, the inductor and resistor represent ESR. The parallel resistance is very high - millions of ohms - while the series resistance and inductance would be low - a fraction of an ohm.

There are two effects of ESR. The first is it reduces the ability of a capacitor to damp out pulses - noise - on the power supply line. The second is it generates heat. This is not a problem in a linear power supply, or in the rectified mains AC - the pulse rate is too low - 120 Hz. It IS a problem on the filters for switching power supplies such as your TV has. A SMPS operates at typically 70 Khz and general purpose capacitors can't handle the heating and are destroyed fairly quickly.

As an example, I usually recommend 'brand name low ESR capacitors such as Panasonic FM or FC series'. Someone with a number of bulging caps in his monitor will decide to save a few cents and use EB series. The FM has an ESR of .03 ohms and is rated to handle 2.2 Amps of ripple current at 100 Khz; the EB is only rated for .5A at 120 Hz, the ESR isn't rated but is probably at least .2 ohms. As a result the EB won't filter the power supply adequately and the monitor may work for a short while (months), then fail again.

After looking at them again, the latest voltage readings match the earlier readings with the monitor not working. I have done a very cursory investigation, the acceptable range for the 1.8 Volt supply on some ICs is 1.6 to 2.0 volts. I don't know if that is true for this processor, and I don't like the supply voltage being that high.

After some thought, here is what I suggest doing.

There are 6 capacitors on the output supply of the power supply. Both Chang and KSC are Chinese manufacturers; KSC is known to produce garbage. I suggest you replace them all. This thread lists good series of capacitors and their suppliers for various countries. As I said, I suggest Panasonic FM or FC series.

If you are brave (or foolish, sometimes it's hard to distinguish), you can try shorting D101 with a jumper, then testing the monitor. Check the temperature on U102. It will run hotter!!!

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I looked for capacitors on this website http://www.rscroatia.com/ .

Those Panasonic capacitors are expensive becouse they can only be bought in pack of 5... Maybe I can find some other capacitors in other shops ?

And this C106 capacitor (low ESR) is like 10 euros and they are not available right now.

And I can't find this AS1084R regulator . Can it be changed with some others ?

Comment

I looked for capacitors on this website http://www.rscroatia.com/ .

Those Panasonic capacitors are expensive becouse they can only be bought in pack of 5... Maybe I can find some other capacitors in other shops ?

And this C106 capacitor (low ESR) is like 10 euros and they are not available right now.

And I can't find this AS1084R regulator . Can it be changed with some others ?
          Use the list of 'Good' caps as a reference when you check with other shops. If they insist you don't need low ESR explain you DO, and shop elsewhere. Yes, good quality caps may cost more. It's also a question of having a TV/Monitor that works all the time.

The AP1084, AME1084, LD1084 and the LM1084 are replacements for the AS1084. I am sure there are others, it is what is commonly called a 'jelly bean' part - available from many manufacturers, all working the same. Just make sure you buy it in the TO-263 package.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Damn I can't find those regulators ..

Comment

Damn I can't find those regulators ..
              Here are a couple of thoughts.

1. It's obvious that some of the caps on the power supply have been replaced. And you reported that the monitor did work for a while after they were replaced. Replace the six caps with name brand low ESR caps. If RS Croatia charges too much, check with badcaps.net (the parent of this site) and find out how much they would cost shipped to you.

2. Mouser and Digi-key in the US both have the caps and regulators. I suspect the shipping costs and customs fees, etc will be unreasonable, but it will take only time to find out.

In the meantime, I have to go outside and dig a hole to bury a mistake I made. When time permits I'll check RS's site to see if they list an equivalent part.

PlainBill
              Last edited by PlainBill; 06-10-2011, 06:23 AM.

Comment

hehe , badcaps deson't shipp to my country .

And shipping from US (mouser and digi) costs 120 $.

Comment

You can try contacting a seller on eBay that sells monitor repair kits and ask them if they can put together a custom order for you. Just type in "monitor repair kit" in the search window and a number of sellers will appear. Probably a much cheaper option than paying $120 for shipping!

Comment

Can someone find a replace for my AS1084R regulator on http://www.rscroatia.com/ .

maybe PlainBill , thanks :P

Comment

Can someone find a replace for my AS1084R regulator on http://www.rscroatia.com/ .

have someone else review this one... this might work.
                      http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...duct&R=6451577
                      your site: http://hr.rsdelivers.com/product/nat...b/6451577.aspx

ame1084 datasheet that plainbill suggested as reference:

Comment

Sorry, as a cosmopolitan world linguist, I'm an abysmal failure. Try as I might, I could not use RS Croatia. HOWEVER, I have other talents. This part is a direct replacement.

PlainBill

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill View Post
                          Sorry, as a cosmopolitan world linguist, I'm an abysmal failure. Try as I might, I could not use RS Croatia. HOWEVER, I have other talents. This part is a direct replacement.

PlainBill
                          gotcha cover plainbill

http://hr.rsdelivers.com/product/stm...k/6868720.aspx

Comment

That you guys very much !

But damn all capacitors and this regulators can only be bought in pack of 5 , I hate them xD

Comment

In post #28, jetadm123 gives a good suggestion and I personally have had success with it. You would be surprised at how many Asian sellers will be happy to fill custom orders.
                              --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

But how can I know how good are their capacitors ?

Comment

But how can I know how good are their capacitors ?
                                  1) You email them and ask what brand and series they sell. And check their feedback rating. Buyers will usually vent their anger if they feel they have been ripped off.

2) There are several USA sellers that might ship to your country. Just ask.

Comment

Hi people , I'm back

I changed capacitors on power supply and it's working well now for two days..

I will notify you if any changes occur.

Thanks to PlainBill and others !

Comment

I don't know if this problem is returning but this happened :

I left my PC turned on to download something and computer turned off by itself adter downloading was finished.

When I came back home I turned on computer but monitor didn't respond and red indicator was on.

I pressed power button on monitor and its remote but nothing happened.It stayed red like frozen.

Then I just reconnected power cable and now monitor is working normally.

What is causing this problem , I think it will go worse and worse now.

Comment

Working...
                                      X