Capxon In WRT54GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capxon In WRT54GL

Although my Linksys WRT54GL router is operating solid as for the entire year I've owned it, I popped it open and found (3) 220uf/16v 8mm x 8mm Capxon ST series caps. As a preventive measure, what would be a good poly-mod for this router. I'll post pix when I have the opportunity.
    Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Re: Capxon In WRT54GL

Spec sheet, if it will help...
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
      Spec sheet, if it will help...
      The spec sheet doesn't show the specs for the 220uf/16v. It's the same sheet I found before posting this thread.

Any suggestions?
      Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

My suggestion is to cap it with electrolytic caps to be safe. I recommend UCC LXY or LXZ series. You can find them at digikey. They will last you for years inside a router.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by delaware74b View Post
          The spec sheet doesn't show the specs for the 220uf/16v. It's the same sheet I found before posting this thread.
          Any suggestions?
          ESR only depends on the can size so just measure the size of the CapXon caps in your router and compare them to any caps with the same can size in the CapXon data sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            ESR only depends on the can size so just measure the size of the CapXon caps in your router and compare them to any caps with the same can size in the CapXon data sheet.
            Let me reword that a little to avoid confusing people.
            -
            WITHIN A SERIES.. All the caps with the same dimensions will have the same ESR and Ripple regardless of their uF and Volts.
            -
            There are some exceptions with crap brands but the ESR/Ripple will still be close enough to figure out what it should be by the other caps in the data sheet that have the same dimensions.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

I usually recap the WRT54GL routers with 25V 220uF Panasonic FM. I have a WRT54G-TM (WRT54GL with more memory) and the FM were a pretty close match/slight upgrade spec-wise to the Su'scon that were in it. Given the other caps with inferior specs that are used in these routers, FM is likely overkill. I've done 4 or 5 that I can recall with FM and all are still working, including 2 of my own.

A tip - don't use much heat when soldering the router board. The PCB is pretty thin and it's very easy to damage the coating or lift traced on it.
              Last edited by yyonline; 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

If size is limited to 8mm, then the best poly you can get is a 270uF@16v. There are 8mm 330uF@16v ones out there, but finding stock is a problem. Height is also a concern. Can you exceed the 8mm height?

Try: PS in UCC
                LG or LF in Nichicon
                veritas odium parit

Comment

It might be of interest to know that atleast the older WRT54GS units could be upgraded to handle up to 50vdc I think it was
                  All that was needed was a capacitor change, the DC/DC converters where rated for it, their name escapes me but I think it was some AIC chip...
                  If it interests you look up the spec
                  I used this trick to run mine at 24 or 48v, on batteries, it slightly increased the power efficiency...
                  Good to know when you install them 20m high up in trees as I did

http://www.techspot.com/blog/44/fina...n-the-forrest/

I should also note that I have over a dozen WRT54GS/GL units in usage, over atleast an 8 year period I'd guess
                  None of them have failed their capacitors
                  They sit in really hostile environments too

Edit: Friend of mine had a WRT54GL die due to Capxon's: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37945
                  Last edited by Per Hansson; 07-11-2014, 12:03 PM. Reason: Update info on caps
                  "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                    Let me reword that a little to avoid confusing people.
                    -
                    WITHIN A SERIES.. All the caps with the same dimensions will have the same ESR and Ripple regardless of their uF and Volts.
                    Thanks for correcting that for me. I think that's what I had in mind when I was writing the post, just didn't word it properly. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      Thanks for correcting that for me. I think that's what I had in mind when I was writing the post, just didn't word it properly. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.
                      No worries. I knew what you meant.
                      Just saw how the wording might confuse someone new to ESR.
                      Mann-Made Global Warming.
                      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                      -
                      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                      -

Comment

Working...
                      X