This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

My older brother caught me soldering the couch when I was 5 years old. I guess I thought it was a Fluxsteel, when it was a Flexsteel... I haven't put the iron down since - 45 years. 90% of the electronics/computers in my house are cast-offs that I repaired. That doesn't mean I can't learn, since there seem to be some real masters here. I still come up with "tough dogs" and would appreciate the help. And hopefully I can provide some assistance too.

Comment

Hello,

I trained as an electrical/electronics technician way back in the 70's and have worked mainly in industrial maintenance. I have lots of soldering experience and have done my share of swapping bad caps.
      I did Basic, Pascal and an IT course at night school and I have built several pc's for myself and friends. The software side of things is something that I have just picked up as I have gone along.
      Maybe it's all the years of fixing everything with next to nothing that have made me loathe to throw anything away, just in case it's repairable or useful for spares.
      I found this site whilst searching for replacement caps for an Acer mobo but I have been repairing electronics for so long that I find all the threads of interest. You never know when you might come across a similar problem do you?

Stuart

Comment

Hi everyone, I'm Randy from Nevada (USA) for those not from this country, and from reading this most of you aren't. I'm 57 and have been working in the computer industry for about 30 years. My exposure is fairly limited to programming, started with a little bit of Assembler (little bit goes a hell of a long ways), went on to Basic, Cobol, RPG and even a little bit of Fortran...as those languages died off I got into management (which isn't to say I'm completely inept, just close). I manage a medium size data center in southern Nevada (5000 sq. ft. with about 400 servers).

I found this site as I'm trying to repair a Viewsonic 22" monitor. I got two Samsung 19 inch monitor/TV's for the kid's (children for those that don't believe their children are goats) and within a month of each other, when they were three years old, they both quit working. One of my friends at work said it might be the caps so I took the power supply out and he replaced them, it worked like a champ so when the second one went out I replaced the caps with the same result, so now I'm thinking I can do my Viewsonic.

I'm glad to be here and hope I can provide some value as well as gain some knowledge.
        Randy NV
        There are worse things than getting a wrong number at 10:58 pm...the caller could have the right number.

Comment

Hi all, I'm from China and works in FPCAP : )

Comment

fujitsu?now nichicon.
            cool!
            Originally posted by aprilus View Post
            Hi all, I'm from China and works in FPCAP : )

Comment

Hi! I'm Enrico from Italy!
              I've found this forum searching for some info on repairing a delta psu... And on this forum seem that there is a lot of people with a tons of experience!
              Hope to get help
              Thanks!

Comment

Hello everyone I learned of this website searching on a repair for some bad caps in a Linksys RV042. looking forward to learning from the great forum.

Comment

Doing to required This is Me post so I can get access to this great web site. I just found it this morning after my TWO YEAR OLD SAMSUNG monitor decided to do it's part to save energy and only run for 5-8 seconds at a time. Can't get much done like that, even if you type fast. Background electrical engineering and manufacturing in North County San Diego. Rock On, Hartpunch

Comment

Hi everyone. Glad to be part of this forum. Google brought me here while trying to find info on a Dell 1800fp monitor. I have a few years computer experience and I decided I would learn some component repair because it is becoming an FRU(field replaceable unit) world. Looking forward to learning/sharing information. Thanks, Larry from New Jersey.

Comment

I am Hammertime from AZ and am a newbie to this forum. I have found the pleasure and satisfaction in repairing monitors and computers (Macs) and have a 2 "very sick" plasma TV's in the garage right now, waiting to get their antibiotics soon...I am trying to learn a little something from everyone who is willing to share, nicely, and teach REALLY green people like me how to save a few bux and learn a great skill in the process. Glad to have found this place! It's 70 degrees in AZ in January...what's it like where you are?

Comment

Hi,
                        I'm new.
                        I was just looking to see if anyone had experience with a DR-A300ATX power supply.
                        I am an electrician by trade. My first computer was a TRS80 6208 processor 4kram
                        tape loaded.
                        I worked last 28 years in industrial electronics repairs.
                        I can almost do soldering blindfolded.

Comment

Hi,
                          Regards from Serbia
                          Thanks for registring

Comment

Hi, I have a MEng degree in electronic engineering and looking to study for a phd in carbon based electronics. I've come here because of persistent problems with a HP L1955 monitor PSU!

Comment

Hello, everyone.

I'm Dave from Eastern Iowa and I came across this great site while trying to find a source for a replacement power supply to fix a friend's LCD Monitor. I've been doing computer HW, SW repair for a living for the past 8 years or so after many, many years of road warrior work doing software development project management. Most of my hardware repair experience has been simply replacing components. Upon finding this site I soon realized that replacing a few bad caps might be simpler than locating those hard to find parts I need to turn my ever-growing bone pile into working gear.

Comment

hello

Comment

Hello ther thanks for let me share things and knowlege with you,,I'm from Mexico,electronic technician and a lousy writer hope to pos more often her..thanks again and best for every one.

Comment

hello from France.
                                    I have a TV receiver with 39 "lelon" bad caps to fix, one of them is exploded, but after replacing it by a good "nichicon" cap the TV doesn't run.

Comment

Hi to you all from deepest darkest North Yorkshire, England!

I'm an electronics engineer by trade and came across your site while searching for the bad caps issue. I've been repairing about 10 motherboards per week from Dell and HP, and its great to hear some of the other stories and problems out there.

Hopefully we can all help each other out!

Comment

Hello, hoping that I can get the respond I am looking for.

Comment

Hi
                                          I am Ron, new here and thanks to your posts I have managed to repair my LCD Monitor, I mean not completely because I havent bought the replacement part.
                                          Keep up the Good work

Comment

Working...
                                          X