Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Viewsonic vp2130b - Shut off and will not power up

Originally posted by ljbrandt View Post
    Okay, but I've got my monitor completely disassembled, with power board and main board completely out and separated. Can I do this test on the pins with the power board alone, but plugged in?
    Yes, if you locate the GND wire.

1. Flip board upside down.
    2. Set meter to DC 200 ohms
    3. Place black probe on screw mount for power board (should be conductive surface on it, maybe small so could be tricky.)
    4. Check each pin on rainbow connector, until you get nearly zero ohms (on your meter, 1.2 ohms is minimum due to lead resistance and meter calibration.)
    5. Pin that is zero is your ground reference.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Okay, I got it. Here are the results.

Purple - 0v
      Blue - 0v
      Green - 20v
      Yellow - 20v
      Orange - 0v
      Red - 0v
      Brown - 12v
      Black - 12v

Hope this helps.
      If you look closley at your power board the expected voltage output for each pin of the connector is stamped on the board itself.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
        If you look closley at your power board the expected voltage output for each pin of the connector is stamped on the board itself.
        Then it looks like everything checks out for the voltages. What should I look at next?

Comment

Okay, I spot several regulators and one SMPS on the main board.

For the circled devices, check the voltage on each pin, relative to exposed screw hole/case/GND with monitor plugged in.

For the arrow, flip the board upside down and check the voltage across the two large caps.
          Attached Files
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Okay, here are the readings:

Uppermost regulator:
            top pin:~2v
            middle pin:~3.3v
            bottom pin: ~5v

Regulator directly below:
            top pin:~1/2v
            middle pin:~1.8v

Bottom regulator:
            top pin:~1.25v
            middle pin:~2.5v
            bottom pin:~5v

Voltage across the two large caps = 5v

I should also mention that while handling the main board, I heard what sounded to be like a ball bearing or screw rattling loose. I checked the entire board for something loose, but couldn't find anything. I'm assuming it may be something inside the small metal case labeled "TXC"...but just a guess.
            Last edited by ljbrandt; 04-08-2012, 10:09 AM. Reason: additional info

Comment

I see a component marked "U" something circled in yellow. Can you please give me the full number? Is it U10? And what is the part number stamped on the component itself?
              Attached Files

Comment

I see a component marked "U" something circled in yellow. Can you please give me the full number? Is it U10? And what is the part number stamped on the component itself?
                It is U10.

And the # is P081 or POBI or something like that, (very small and hard to read)

Comment

It is U10.

And the # is P081 or POBI or something like that, (very small and hard to read)
                  It appears to be a reset controller. It should have 3 leads coming out of it. Two at the bottom and one at the top. If yes, with power to the monitor disconnected, go ahead and remove U10. Piece everything back together, plug in the monitor and try turning it on.

Comment

It appears to be a reset controller. It should have 3 leads coming out of it. Two at the bottom and one at the top. If yes, with power to the monitor disconnected, go ahead and remove U10. Piece everything back together, plug in the monitor and try turning it on.
                    This tiny 'reset controller' doesn't appear to be soldered to the board. Do I just pry the small leads away and lift it up?

Also, I just want to confirm before I piece everything back together, there's nothing else I need to test for you guys. It would be quite time consuming (for me at least) assembling and disassembling everything again.

Let me know and thanks for all your all's help so far!

Comment

All the parts are soldered to the board. What you are looking at is a surface mount component that has it's leads soldered on the same side of the board as the component itself. You'll have to heat the lead up with your soldering iron and try lifting the leg with an x-acto knife or something similar. If you can't get the solder to melt, then apply a small amount of 60/40 solder to the leg and try lifting again.

You don't need to put the monitor completely back together. Just connect the circuit boards back together and leave the back cover off for now.

Comment

Okay, here are the readings:

Uppermost regulator:
                        top pin:~2v
                        middle pin:~3.3v

Regulator directly below:
                        top pin:~1/2v
                        middle pin:~1.8v

Bottom regulator:
                        top pin:~1.25v
                        middle pin:~2.5v
                        bottom pin:~5v

Voltage across the two large caps = 5v
                        Okay, can you read out the part #s on each of the regulators? They seem okay, but I want to confirm.

I should also mention that while handling the main board, I heard what sounded to be like a ball bearing or screw rattling loose. I checked the entire board for something loose, but couldn't find anything. I'm assuming it may be something inside the small metal case labeled "TXC"...but just a guess.
                        The device in the black box with 45° written on it - that device tells the monitor it has been rotated and to adjust the resolution. It has a ball bearing in it which blocks out the light between an LED and detector, the ball bearing falls when the monitor goes past approx 45°. Kind of neat feature actually - only seen in on some Viewsonic monitors...

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                          Okay, can you read out the part #s on each of the regulators? They seem okay, but I want to confirm.
                          Top two regulators:
                          AC
                          0632BL

Bottom regulator:
                          6J1L
                          1117L

...now to fine a fine point top for my soldering iron, a magnifying glass and some tweezers to remove that reset controller

Comment

Well, I have an update.

I removed the reset controller chip and reassembled the monitor to test it. At first, I noticed no difference. The power LED light was still not coming on and neither was the monitor. Then, I tried turning it off and on several times using the I/O switch next to the A/C plug. I noticed the CCFLs were now illuminating the black screen, and the green LED light came on, but still no picture. I tried a few more times with the hard power switch (b/c the power switch by the LED on the lower bezel didn't seem to do anything). A couple of times I got a weird picture of thin multi-colored lines up and down the screen. I'm not sure what that was! Is there any hope left for this monitor?

Update-
                            I left the monitor powered up for several minutes and now the power LED is turning both green and orange. When the LED is green, it displays faint, shadowy horizontal lines and then turns to standby mode and the LED turns orange.
                            Last edited by ljbrandt; 04-09-2012, 01:05 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Have you tried reseating the large connector, CN5, with the large number of wires coming out of it? When you have the wiring harness off, check the pins to make sure none are bent. Also, check the other end of the cable to make sure it's a tight fit. It's connected to the LCD panel. Reseat the flat ribbon cable connected to CN3. This cable appears to connect to the front panel.

Have you also verified the video cable from your computer to monitor is good. If yes, try reseating the cable plugs at both ends.
                              Last edited by jetadm123; 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Tried reseating all of the connectors/plugs. One thing I noticed next to the CN5 connector was an empty connector receptacle which I don't remember if anything plugged into it. I looked all over and couldn't find anything else that might have plugged into that, but here's a picture. Does anything plug into CN102?
                                Attached Files

Comment

There should only be one cable from the logic board to the LCD panel.

Having done some more research, it looks like your reset controller is a MAX809 versus the MAX810 that's been encountered in the past on this forum. With that being said, I've come to the conclusion:

1) Either the main processor chip (GM1601) on the logic board is bad.

or

2) By removing the reset controller, the GM1601 is now in a confused state and doesn't whether to start or remain off.

My suggestion would be to replace the reset controller. If you're in the USA, it should run you 64 cents plus approx $2.00 shipping.

Before ordering, you will need to take a voltage reading. On the location where you removed the reset controller, there was a total of 3 legs. Take your reading on the side that has the single leg.

If you read 3.3VDC order:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...OSCT-ND/917961

If you read 5VDC order:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...OSCT-ND/917958

Comment

Having done some more research, it looks like your reset controller is a MAX809 versus the MAX810 that's been encountered in the past on this forum. With that being said, I've come to the conclusion:

or

2) By removing the reset controller, the GM1601 is now in a confused state and doesn't whether to start or remain off.

My suggestion would be to replace the reset controller. If you're in the USA, it should run you 64 cents plus approx $2.00 shipping.

Before ordering, you will need to take a voltage reading. On the location where you removed the reset controller, there was a total of 3 legs. Take your reading on the side that has the single leg.

If you read 5VDC order:

Thank you very much

Comment

or

If you read 5VDC order:

Measured 3.3v - I'm going to order 3 http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...OSCT-ND/917961 just in case I mess something up.

As the famous quote from Samuel L. Jackson in Jurassic park: "Hang on to your butts!"

P.S. - If this repair fails, what are the chances of procuring a new mainboard for this model monitor?
                                      Last edited by ljbrandt; 04-10-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

I received the controller from digi-key today. I went ahead and put it in and when I tried to power on the monitor, I got nothing...no backlight or LEDs (same issue I had originally). I should mention that when I put my ear to the PCBs, I heard a high pitched noise cycling on/off. Not sure what that meant.

I took the new reset controller back out and turned it on again and got the same result as before when I took out the original controller.

Does anyone know if viewsonic stocks these older mainboards or have any other ideas? Such a shame, b/c this was such a nice monitor.
                                        Last edited by ljbrandt; 04-13-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear it didn't work. I believe Viewsonic does not sell aftermarket boards and your best bet would be eBay.

Comment

Working...
                                          X