X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Dell PS-5161-1D1 160W & Dell PS-5161-7DS 160W

I took them out of a Dell Optiplex GX260 and a Dell Optiplex GX280 respectively.

I am going to keep one and give the other to a friend.

The second psu is full of OST caps, some of them slightly bulging.

Who makes those? And which should I keep?
    Attached Files

Comment

Both PSUs are made by Lite-ON. You can tell by the UL number (E132068) written on the label and the Lite-ON marking on the transformer on one of the PSUs. Also, most Lite-ON PSUs will say "AMBIENT: 50C MAX" on the label.
      One of the PSUs (the one on the left?) looks like it has that brown glue that goes conductive - you might want to remove it as much as you can.
      I think you should keep the one on the right (the one with the OST caps). It has a slightly more powerful 12v rail. More clean, too. Just recap it.

Comment

The second one doesn't work unfortunately. Only 5vsb. It also needs full recap and I am a bit tight at the moment.

The other one works normally but its fan is stuck.
        Last edited by goodpsusearch; 10-15-2010, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Swap the fans. Sell the working one. Spend that money to fix the other one and hope the lubricating will fix the fan...

Comment

I tried to remove the glue from the working one... And after it was done, I plugged it in.. and then the protection relay of the house went down

I have done something stupid I suppose...

Comment

This PSU from a Dell Optiplex looks almost exactly like the HiPro shown by Momaka:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=228

It has a HiPro-like model number, HP-P2507F3R, uses the same HP1001WA-1 chip near the outputs. and may have an SCR net to it, but its UL number, E134709, says it's made by Chicony. There are slight differenes, such as only 3 optical isolators instead of 4, next to the small transformer, and the +5Vstandby supply uses a small vertical circuit board and a Tiny Switch TNY265P. The main supply is controlled by a UC3843. Matsushita/Panasonic 680uF 200V caps on the primary, everything else is Asiacon (nothing measured, but none swollen).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by larrymoencurly; 10-27-2010, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Sometimes power supply companies will do something that facilitates getting a new UL number, and another manufacturer will swoop in and pick up their old one (hoping that people look at a old list they made of UL numbers and think their unit in infact someone else's). I don't know how they do this, but Topower does it alot.

Comment

goodpsusearch-so you made one working one as per my idea, irght? sell it!!!!
                  then salvage certain parts from the other one, and toss it

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                    goodpsusearch-so you made one working one as per my idea, irght? sell it!!!!
                    then salvage certain parts from the other one, and toss it
                    I gave both to a friend that needed them more than me. He works at the university and I get a lot of free stuff that are going to be tossed with his help (search my posts ).

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
                      This PSU from a Dell Optiplex looks almost exactly like the HiPro shown by Momaka:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...&postcount=228

but its UL number, E134709, says it's made by Chicony.
                      http://www.hipro.com.tw/ - Chicony Power Technology Co., Ltd
                      I also have a Hipro psu from IBM thinkcentre desktop with Chicony UL.

Comment

Got in some real marvels of engineering recently. All of them are broken in some way, two due to bad caps, one due to being garbage in the first place.

Up first is the delightful Macron Power MPT-251. Came out of some old FRY's prebuilt thingy. Having owned one of those wonders, I can say build quality wasn't high on the priority list for FRY's.

Label shot. Nothing spectacular here.
                        Cable count:
                        1 x 20 pin
                        1 x 4 P4
                        2 x floppy
                        4 x Molex.

Inside presents a bit of a surprise. Everything looks like it could do the rating on the label. Except for one thing...

That hateful little Fuhjyuu mark of death. Naturally, this POS is full of them, including the primaries. Note the larger cap, which may have been someone's previous attempt at a repair.

Fan is some PowerLogic thing I don't care enough about to go looking up again.
                        Last edited by cheese007; 12-09-2010, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Next we have yet another rather infamous name: Bestec.

This particular example is the ATX-250 12-Z Rev. D, found in a new-ish HP.

Please excuse the blurriness. Camera was acting up at the time.
                          Cable count is the same as the Macron Power above.

Inside, again, looks decent enough.

So naturally some Jamicon capacitors had to show up and ruin the fun. You can't see it in this pic, but there's a few bloaters in there. Fan is also Jamicon, but I couldn't get the thing out of the case. All of this is well and good, but I saved the best for last...

Comment

Yes, Powmax. They're one of the most famous PSU names, but for all the wrong reasons. They're so bad that they've become pretty much the gold standard for bargain-basement PSUs everywhere.

Everything in the above picture is a lie.
                            Cable count is the same as the rest, except for the addition of an AUX connector.

What a familiar sight. Tiny heatsinks, no input filtering, questionable quality capacitors, all hallmarks of a typical leadmen unit. Speaking of capacitors, primaries are JEE, as are all of the secondaries aside from one lone Teapo.

On the plus side, this fan lights up red, and its the only unit of the three that works.

Comment

Save the Macron and the Bestec, gut the Powmax for parts.

In my experience, Power Logic fans are pretty good. Had a few run nearly 24/7 on full 12v for a good number of years - and they still run fine (with lots of original oil left under the seal), but the computers they are in are no longer in that kind of extensive use anymore.

Comment

The Bestec has bad bloated C36 capacitor used in 5vsb circuit. To permanently fix this problem, see this thread:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ghlight=bestec

The Bestec ATX-250 12Z is a good power supply, just needs some tender loving care. Fix the C36 problem, remove any black or dark glue, and recap as needed.

This power supply has a really nice crowbar circuit to protect it from going overvoltage on the 5vsb. It also uses a pwm chip in the 5vsb instead of the usual two transistor design.

The mobo killer to watch out for is the Bestec ATX-250 12E
                                Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

DELL MODEL: H525EF-00 (HIPRO) UP/N: D525E001L DP/N: 00G05V
                                  525W PSU for T3500 WorkStation
                                  80PLUS SILVER

ActivePFC uses two SPW20N60C3
                                  Two-Transistor Forward uses SPW15N60C3
                                  5VSB use TNY280PN
                                  IR1166S Synchronous Recitifier for 12V (cannot see MOSFET)
                                  5V and 3.3V uses Voltage Regulator Module from 12V
                                  Capacitors on Secondary are UCC KZE/KZH, Ltec LXY (cannot see primary cap)
                                  Attached Files
                                  | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
                                  | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
                                  | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Has Seasonic always been good? Because I found a 150W one from the 1980s that seems cheaply built (was UL approved), although almost all the caps are Japanese:

OTOH here's an Astec-made 130W PSU from the same era that IBM used in its PCs:

Both PSUs have transformers work at about 30 KHz, but the Astec's is 2-3 times the volume, and it has four 440uF high voltage capacitors, compared to two 330uF ones for the Seasonic.

Comment

Astec SMPS are the best

I will post a few pics of a 150watt dell ATX power supply I have, it has its original NCC and Rubycon caps, nice heatsinks, and good line filtering too

I also have a ATX power supply (forget the brand). Who thinks a 1000uF cap is good on a 38A +5volt rail??? :P

-Ben
                                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Astec is just heavily overbuilt. 150W doesn't require much guts. Even the cheapest leadman units do 150W ok.

Comment

Here it is.
                                          It is a Dell 150watt ATX psu, apparently made by liteon.

First picture is the label, I took that right before my floro-lamp burst out in red and orange flashes that scared the crap outta me!

Second one shows the overall insides-

Third one shows the well-rated NCC caps-

Fourth, a nice snapshot of very good RF filtering-

And the last one is a shot of the transformers and controller chips-

-Ben

edit: I got an error while trying to upload the pictures, It said that a security token was missing? I messaged the Moderators and hopefully they will be able to help me with this problem!
                                          Last edited by ben7; 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM.
                                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                          X