New soldering station/setup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New soldering station/setup!

I originally used the kit that my old work had, a Weller WD1 station. That one was 85W, and was a great iron so I wanted to get something similar.

I finally got around to buying this one, a Weller WD1002. Very similar but this one is 95W. It works like a dream. This thing does not care how big any joint is!

Also got the same but new desoldering pump. I know some people like it, but I am not a fan at all of desoldering wick.

Got all my regular tools as well, and then moved them over to that desk, which I got for free! The computer (which I'm on now) is the "research" and "play music" workstation. It's a sleeper too. That's an actual desk-top chassis made in November, 2000, with a Haswell Pentium 3.00GHz, 4GB RAM, 120GB Intel 530 Series SSD, and a recapped KME PSU. This one: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...2&postcount=13

I plan on getting more tools, and doing tons of soldering
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pentium4; 05-27-2015, 09:44 PM.

Re: New soldering station/setup!

Nice. I still use desoldering braid. I'd love to get myself a decent desoldering pump or gun one day, but I'm using my soldering iron less and less nowadays.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

put hellerman sleeve on the end of the pump.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        I finally got around to buying this one, a Weller WD1002. Very similar but this one is 95W. It works like a dream. This thing does not care how big any joint is!
        Nice station!
        Hey, I am trying to do some plumbing in the house. Do you think I can use your station for a bit?

By the way, does it use 900M or T12/T15 tips? Just curious, because it does look a bit like 900M tips, and I personally have never been as satisfied with them as with T12/T15. Then again, I've only used cheap 45W and 65W Weller/Hakko clones with those, so maybe thats' why.

Also got the same but new desoldering pump.
        I've used that desoldering pump before. Probably the most powerful you can get. Definitely works well.

I know some people like it, but I am not a fan at all of desoldering wick.
        Me neither. It never seems to work on multi-layer boards... and that's what I work on like 80% of the time. I only find braid/wick useful for BGA cleaning / rework.

On the other hand, used braid makes for great SOT-223 and TO-252 heatsinks. Got a hot 1117 regulator somewhere? Or perhaps an Intel-style "hands-in-the-air like you don't care" free-standing CPU VRM MOSFETs?
        -No problemo! Just solder some used braid onto their tabs and you get a really good heatsink. Not to mention it's a good way to recycle waste copper that way .

The computer (which I'm on now) is the "research" and "play music" workstation. It's a sleeper too. That's an actual desk-top chassis made in November, 2000, with a Haswell Pentium 3.00GHz, 4GB RAM, 120GB Intel 530 Series SSD, and a recapped KME PSU.
        Wow, that is a sleeper indeed. Must be pretty zippy with that SSD.

I plan on getting more tools, and doing tons of soldering
        Cool.
        I'm working on a little "project" right now. Not sure when it will take off... if at all, since it's still in experimental stage. But if it does, I think you will be the first to give one to, or at least give you instructions how to make it. After all, you work on a lot of PSUs, so I think you will find it handy .

By the way, is that bag full of resistors all minimum load resistors from PSUs?
        Last edited by momaka; 06-09-2015, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Nice station!
          Hey, I am trying to do some plumbing in the house. Do you think I can use your station for a bit?

By the way, does it use 900M or T12/T15 tips? Just curious, because it does look a bit like 900M tips, and I personally have never been as satisfied with them as with T12/T15. Then again, I've only used cheap 45W and 65W Weller/Hakko clones with those, so maybe thats' why.
          I'll have to check when I get back in town. Either way, I'm very pleased with the functionality of it. It only came with the one tip though, and it can be a little too big for some joints. Definitely going to get a smaller one the next time I do a Digi-Key order.

I've used that desoldering pump before. Probably the most powerful you can get. Definitely works well.
          Yes, I absolutely love it. Can you believe I got it brand new in the packaging for $8.99 with free 2 day shipping across the country?

Me neither. It never seems to work on multi-layer boards... and that's what I work on like 80% of the time.
          That's exactly how I feel. Yeah it's less messy but not worth it in my opinion.

Wow, that is a sleeper indeed. Must be pretty zippy with that SSD.
          I actually did some mixing up a week ago. I ended up putting that Pentium II machine in that chassis ( https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46856 ) and then put the SSD machine in an emachines chassis from 2005

I'm working on a little "project" right now. Not sure when it will take off... if at all, since it's still in experimental stage. But if it does, I think you will be the first to give one to, or at least give you instructions how to make it. After all, you work on a lot of PSUs, so I think you will find it handy
          Awesome I'm very interested in what you're "cooking up" all the way over there.

By the way, is that bag full of resistors all minimum load resistors from PSUs?
          It sure is

Comment

Working...
          X