Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP ZR2740W Monitor Bad Caps?

Hey guys,

I'm new here and I need some help identifying what exactly is causing this.This is the second time I have had problems with this monitor and I suspect bad caps. The monitor is an HP ZR2740W LED backlit IPS display. It is connected to an EVGA GTX 580 through a DVI-D cable. It goes black for a second or two then comes back and repeats at random intervals sometimes going black for as long as 10 seconds. Attached is a video of the issue. I was on eevblog at the time and they referred me to here. I thought it could be the video card, but this seems more likely with the monitors track record.

Link to video
    http://youtu.be/JsVdwXGSOjk

Re: HP ZR2740W Monitor Bad Caps?

I have asked for this to be moved to the monitor section, however this is a newish model is it not repairable under warranty? If not then you will need to open it up and post pictures of the inside. Please use manage attachments to do this.
    Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Their idea of warranty is ridiculous. I keep my monitors in top notch quality and they send me this http://zopsi.com/broken.jpg. That just shows the biggest error. It also had fingerprints all over it, dents in the back, the dvi-d cable barely went in because of dents. Then it had a similar issue but just shut down.

So I requested another one and got something in bad condition again. I had to keep escalating until I got one of equal condition to the one I sent in. It took 2 weeks and I got it. Now a month later it is having this issue. I submitted an HP support request through the business stuff, but it has been a week and no one has responded. I have called and they said that someone will respond to the ticket as soon as possible.

Besides if I get another one it will just fail as well and could be in horrid condition so I think the best option is to repair it myself.

I will open her up and take some high quality pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by zopsi View Post
        It goes black for a second or two then comes back and repeats at random intervals sometimes going black for as long as 10 seconds.
        What color is the power LED during the times it goes black?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

The LED isn't on when it happens.

Comment

Well that is up to you but a set that new it should not be a cap problem, could be difficult to find the problem and find any parts. Pictures will need to be scaled to less than 2mb:
            We can help a lot more if you please post good clear pictures of the whole chassis, and then pictures of each board, front and back and close up of connectors, (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) using the manage attachments button, which is found by clicking "go advanced" under quick reply.

Examples of what is needed
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1290283049

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...7&d=1280167246

It will be useful if you can say a bit about yourself - skills tools etc.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

A lot of people replaced caps on it and fixed the complete failure of the screen after the monitor only being out a short time. I was hopping this issue was along the same lines.

Comment

Originally posted by zopsi View Post
                The LED isn't on when it happens.
                Then it could be bad caps on the power supply or something else bad on the main board if the power LED is not on.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Doesn't the power LED automatically turn off after a set interval though? It works fine when I turn on the monitor then the LED automatically goes off. I can't really confirm that because I have never watched it go off before or timed it so I will have to check on that.

Comment

Working...
                  X