Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

samsung syncmaster 460p black screen

Hello all,

I came across a syncmaster 460p that has a black screen (no backlight and I tried using a flashlight in a dark room and cannot see an image).

It seems to power on fine--pressing the power button gives one click from the power supply and the power light is a steady green.

I pulled the back cover off and gave a quick inspection of the power board and logic board and nothing stood out.

Im hoping this is the right Forum for this display since the device has dvi/d-sub/bnc connections.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Re: samsung syncmaster 460p black screen

When you did the flashlight test did you have your PC connected?

Does the screen not come on at all not even for a split second?

Can we have some decent pics of the tops and bottoms of both boards added through the manage attachments option please.
    Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
    Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Jasgriff,

I did have the PC connected via d-sub. I turned the monitor on while connected and cycled the source button 10 times waiting 20 seconds each time.

There is zero activity from the screen when turning it on. Just the click and the power light on steady, which I compared to another identical monitor and it is the same.

As far as pics, this display is still at work so I will be posting pics when I bring it home early next week (I dont have room at work to completely disassemble and photograph/test the boards)

Thanks

Comment

K,

When you get it back we need some good pics.

Would say you need to start off with the basics. Check the big fuse then all of the less obvious smd ones. If they all test OK then you will need to test the big filter cap and see if you are getting power there.

I'm sure we can help you get it going when you bring it home.

Comment

Originally posted by badandy View Post
          I came across a syncmaster 460p that has a black screen (no backlight and I tried using a flashlight in a dark room and cannot see an image).

It seems to power on fine--pressing the power button gives one click from the power supply and the power light is a steady green.
          A steady green power LED indicates the power supply and logic board are likely working properly. If you have a source hooked up with no backlight, then it could be

a) open fuse on the inverter board
          b) shorted transistor or mosfet on the inverter board
          c) bad caps providing unstable or bad power going to inverter section

I would start with b).
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I am having some issues uploading my photos but I managed to get two uploaded where I have circled a bulging cap. I am going to retake some my photos tonight as some were a littly blurry. All of the boards look fine with no signs of arcing/shorts.

The caps on the power and driver board seem to be made up of capxon and rubycons.

I will update once I get better photos.
            Attached Files

Comment

As you say the pictures are poor and too small They need to be as near to 2mb as you can get as per retiredcaps post above. The Big Caps seem to be Samyoung which is not brilliant but they are probably ok Capxon tend to fall into the replace on sight category.
              The rubycons are usually ok but if they are old and have been subjected to a lot of heat
              (near/under heatsinks) they will dry out.

Please can you update your profile with country and voltage..
              Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by badandy View Post
                I have circled a bulging cap.
                Replace just that cap first and retest. One bad cap will be enough to stop the entire TV from working properly.
                --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                  Replace just that cap first and retest. One bad cap will be enough to stop the entire TV from working properly.
                  My pics didnt do that bulging cap justice, it is really domed at the top so I will work on getting ahold of the replacement part. Do you have any recommendations on brand?

Comment

Panasonic are good in most peoples opinions.

Comment

I replaced the cap that was bulging and no-joy same as before.

Comment

Post a clear focused picture of your inverter board.
                        --- begin sig file ---

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have attached some photos of the boards, I wanted to clarify that it looks like this monitor has left and right inverter boards and there is an A and B board on each side (dsc02913).

They are a PITA to remove so if we could trouble shoot the power supply first before removing the inverters, that would be great.

Just let me know if I need to post any close ups / certain parts of the boards as I figured out my issue in uploading photos, Thanks to all!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

I can tell that there are at least 3 fuses on the the inverter board since I can see F3 in one of your Inverter picture, so there may be more. Look for Fxx and check the resistance of the fuses.
                            Never stop learning
                            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Thanks Budm, I will check those tonight.

the photo is of the left side inverter boards if you are facing the screen

If those fuses or even a fuse on that side were bad, would that cause both sides to not power on?

Comment

Working...
                              X