Redesigning the soldering iron!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redesigning the soldering iron!

Hi, we're a team of engineering undergrads hoping to redesign the soldering iron. Specifically, we're looking at making it safer and more usable by younger teens and children.

We're looking for any feedback or advice you might have, especially if you have kids, so if you can spare a few minutes to fill out our survey, that'd be awesome. Or if you have any questions, feel free to shoot us an email at: solder.otter@gmail.com. Thank you for your time and input!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/14cA...p4OFw/viewform

also, does anyone know why there is so much metal exposed towards the tip?

Re: Redesigning the soldering iron!

Our company actually wanted to develop a new soldering station, i will watch this thread

Personally i have gotten burned quite a few times, i dont know how you would make this type of tool safer, i mean even cutting vegetables is dangerous

The only way i find is if a robot was holding the iron and you controlled it with a joystick

Comment

I filled your survey.

I noticed you posted this on other sites as well. Make sure you post it on eevblog.com forums .. lots of people with experience with soldering irons there.

Comment

honestly i think i will keep my butane powered iron. its precisely adjustable so it can do SMT or the large solder lugs on valve radios. and its cordless too!
        oh and its probably important that im only 16 too.
        Last edited by goontron; 01-27-2014, 11:54 PM. Reason: *may* have left out important info.
        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by xboxhaxorz View Post

Personally i have gotten burned quite a few times, i dont know how you would make this type of tool safer, i mean even cutting vegetables is dangerous
          Well there you go - if you are cutting vegetables with a soldering iron its got to be dangerous.

I often use a knife
          Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
          http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Originally posted by selldoor View Post
            Well there you go - if you are cutting vegetables with a soldering iron its got to be dangerous.

I often use a knife
            As they say,

" If you can't stand the heat, don't solder in the kitchen!"

Comment

Working...
            X