Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: old OC rig suggestions

found the cause of the burnt LED.

replaced the LEd, and the new one glowed yellow. I quickly turned off power, felt that it got hot, and rans some voltage tests.

i guess the board sends 5v to a 3v rated LED... i happened to have a couple 470 ohm resitors in my scrapped component box, so i added it inline to the main pwr LED+ wire. the LED is a tad bit dim, but its not in dnager of fryi8ng (unless the 1 min of overvoltage cooked it). worst comes to worst, good thing the LEDs i bought came in sets of 2.

also bought the paint and brushes, the blue is a tad bit darker than in my pic, but whatever.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I'm surprised that the LED on your test board still works.

A 220 ohm resistor usually works best for powering LEDs from 5V.

Comment

Have you tried Lubuntu? It's Ubuntu but with LXDE Instead of Unity...

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
          I'm surprised that the LED on your test board still works.

A 220 ohm resistor usually works best for powering LEDs from 5V.
          me too. as for the resitor, it was what I had on hand... in the future i may swap it for a 220 ohm... edit- found a second 470 ohm, added it in parallel to give a toral resitance of 235 ohms.

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          Have you tried Lubuntu? It's Ubuntu but with LXDE Instead of Unity...
          imho, anything buntu is junk... bloatware galore.

as for alternate OS's, i may look for somehting debian based... ironically though, ubuntu ran gnome shell ok ish... which leaves me confused, as normally ubuntu runs slower.

not sure what to say here.

on a side not- I just finished masking off the case... when i get a chance, I'll paint it...
          Last edited by ratdude747; 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

crap!

the ubuntu 11.10 disc locked up too.

i guess with one cpu, the thign really is that slow... I guess i overestimated the cpu power of this thing.

would runnign a faster set of MPs (266mhz FSB) over my 1800+ solo palomino make any signifigant difference?

edit- for now, i will install debian 6 (squeeze). it uses gnome 2.x, which will let me troubleshoot what is causing the lockups.
            Last edited by ratdude747; 12-05-2011, 11:55 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, and use Lubuntu it's a much lighter UI

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                Yes, and use Lubuntu it's a much lighter UI
                debian 6 runs fine...
                sigpic

Comment

the paint job was a fail.

my garage must have gotten too cold... the paint dripped and ran over the tape, the tape also peeled, and the blue paint is flaking off

I went to sand the drips and without warning it went down to bare metal. oops.

remind me to NEVER try painting a case ever again, at least if it is multi-tone or being done in the late fall, winter, or early spring.

I may be able to fix it with touch up paint... but either way, it will end up looking like crap i bet.
                  sigpic

Comment

ok, i have come to the conclusion that i will likely look for an old case and use that, since this case just barely worked in the first place.

sound like a plan?
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm curious to see pictures of the case - I doubt you did *that* bad of a job.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                        I'm curious to see pictures of the case - I doubt you did *that* bad of a job.
                        its bad.

the front is covered in flaking paint (cracks)

bad drips everywhere

the paint seeped under the tape in spots

ill get pics when the paint finally dries (the cover is dried, the front less so).

imho, it looks
                        sigpic

Comment

RD, keep at it.

This is the best way to learn. When you have nothing but your wits, you learn to make do with anything. It will make you smarter in the end.
                          Not very many people know what a resistor is and fewer could tell the difference between 220Ω and 470Ω. Fewer still would think to put them in parallel or series to obtain desired results.

So far as the paint, some brands of paint are way better than others.

Plasti-Kote and Rust-oleum are my favorite.

Of course, the surface has to be clean and bare metal should be primed. There is also primer for plastics that should help the paint stick without messing up the plastic.

Sounds like it's time for you to break out the wet sandpaper and start over.....
                          The More You Learn The Less You Know!

Comment

it was rustolem flat black and krylon royal blue

i took some pics:

(some tape removed, some not removed)

me thinks some touch-up paint and sanding will fix it... either that, or ill seek out a roomier case... the weather won't be warm enough to paint until next spring.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

Cases are hot-waxed at the factory to make them shinny and slow oxidation.
                              Is like at the DIY car wash and you flip the switch over to 'wax'. - That stuff.
                              Have to scrub it off with hot soapy water or isopropyl to get good adhesion.
                              Same-same with things like CD drive and card reader faces, screen plastics, laptops.
                              It's hot waxed.
                              Mann-Made Global Warming.
                              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

The one time I repainted a case, I used spray paint (forget what brand). It actually went fairly well.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                                  Cases are hot-waxed at the factory to make them shinny and slow oxidation.
                                  Is like at the DIY car wash and you flip the switch over to 'wax'. - That stuff.
                                  Have to scrub it off with hot soapy water or isopropyl to get good adhesion.
                                  Same-same with things like CD drive and card reader faces, screen plastics, laptops.
                                  It's hot waxed.
                                  figures.

wish i knew that before i started

on the plus side, I am posting this from the unit, now running a duron 1.3 ghz

also, i bidded on a set of 2800+ barton 266mhz MPs... wish me luck! (they were cheap, one day left on the auction). AFAIK, they are the best my board will take... as fast as the fans on my coolers are, hopefully they would be enough for those. (see an earlier post about the cooler specs)

just upgraded my bios to the latest version, f7.

one other notable thing is that the board wouldn't boot if I set the ECC to anything other than disable... and my ram is ECC... is it because i only have 3 of 4 slots populated?

edit- seems to run debian 6 no sweat... even did 360p youtube videos in chrome (flash) without too much trouble.
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 12-07-2011, 10:36 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                                    also, i bidded on a set of 2800+ barton 266mhz MPs... wish me luck! (they were cheap, one day left on the auction). AFAIK, they are the best my board will take...
                                    That, and they're Bartons.. no more Palomino hotplates
                                    (Palominos were kinda like the AMD version of the P4 Prescott.. idling at 50-60°C was more or less normal)

Oh and yeah.. those 2800 MP's are actually the fastest Athlon MP's ever.
                                    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/AMD...2800DUT4C.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K7/TYPE-Athlon%20MP.html
                                    Last edited by Scenic; 12-08-2011, 08:59 AM.

Comment

i knew they were the fastest c models ever made (266)...

less heat? ok, thats cool. hopefully less of a :kick: in the power bill too. (don't worry, i have 600W of power).

so far, only one bid, mine...
                                      sigpic

Comment

got outbid...

it looks like ill have to use slow ass durons then... $28 after shipping was the max i had...

durons suck but its what i can afford...

on the plus side, i think i can save the paint. the black is holding ok... the blue, not so much... most of the blue will go bye-bye, and the back/white can be touched up.
                                        sigpic

Comment

I think I found a case:

I went part hunting and found a gateway pII tower (g6-400) for $15... missing the hdd and RAM, had a floppy and DVD drive

it will take a lot of dremel modding but it will work... I have to cut out part of the hdd cage (2 dives instead of 3), dremel the PSU mount (has normal hole pattern but the opening is too small) and dremel the rear I/O (no rectangular hole, just individual port holes, in the wrong locations for the new board) the case itself is in near mint condition...

at another place I got a lot for $5:

1 belkin f5u508 usb/firewire card
                                          1 s775 intel cooler, pwm fan, copper core
                                          1 stick of 256mb rambus

(the last 2 not for this project, the first may or may not be, but a good deal anyway?)

sound like a plan?
                                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                          X