I Bricked My ND-2500A DVD Drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Bricked My ND-2500A DVD Drive!

I got a working 16X DVD out of a junk PC. I did a firmware update on it , and trashed it. The drive is a MadDog NEC ND-2500A. Somehow I picked the wrong update for it. Now it can't read anything. It now shows up in my system as a NEC ND-2510A drive. I downloaded the right firmware update now but it will not flash my drive back to a NEC ND-2500A. The progie says that my drive does not show up right and aborts the flash operation before it even starts. Well I guess it does show up wrong now since I put the wrong firmware in it... Is there anyway to save this drive, or is it "just another brick in the wall" after my fine work...LOL I need something that will run in windows or from a cold boot. This is and Xp PC right now, and I don't know how to do anything DOS with it. If needs be I could put linux mint or kubuntu back on it to fix the drive but I'd rather not. I use the Mint on my Lappy.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
    Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
    John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
    Rod Serling

Re: I Bricked My ND-2500A DVD Drive!

Does it have a JTAG interface someplace? You might get lucky.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Whats a JTAG interface? What does it look like. Please post a pic if you can.
      "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
      Mark Twain

"I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way."
      John Paul Jones

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.
      Rod Serling

Comment

Do you use the Windows-flasher? If so, a DOS-based flasher might do the trick. There is also a third party flasher, used by those who transflash drives with alternative firmware. As I understand it, it ignores previous firmware versions before flashing. There is also this selection of official and unofficial firmware for this drive.
        ------------
        Be a mensch

Comment

SofTest if I make a windows Xp start floppy in windows, when I start the PC with it am I now in "True DOS"? I did find a DOS based flasher for my drive someplace but I didn't know how to run my Xp PC in DOS mode at that time. The flasher I found said that in could not be run in a windows DOS box. It had to be run in true DOS. The other options I have of starting this PC in DOS are the good old windows 98, and windows ME start floppy disks. I guess I could also switch out my hard drive and put a little one in it just to run good old DOS on the PC to try and save the DVD drive. I think that this would mean that I would also have to find DOS based drivers for the dive, and my mouse first if they exist. This is enough to make a guy want to drink a beer at 5:00am in the morning....LOL
          Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

Its Alive!!! It reads DVD's, and CD's now. Thank you Pentium, and SofTest. Far Out! I still have to do a DVD test burn but I think that it will work.
            First I used that bin flasher with a patched bin file from the dangerous brothers. This made it come back to life. Next I used the 1.07 update from NEC, and flashed the drive again. My software takes care of the region BS so I don't need the dangerous brothers patch. The drive now shows up as NEC ND-2500A 1.07....ect. I'm going to do that test burn now. Thanks again you two! Let me buy you all a beer
            Last edited by Junk Parts; 11-12-2009, 04:45 AM. Reason: add
            Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

All it can do is read disks now. As soon as the actual burning part of a DVD copy is started the drive fails to burn it. Its no big deal. It was free, and I guess that I killed it. It just may be time to buy a $49.00 Plextor drive from Tigerdirect. I'm not having too much luck with the DVD burners from the junk bin these days, but if I had left this one alone it would have worked just fine.
              Mark Twain

John Paul Jones

Rod Serling

Comment

New DVDRW drives can often be picked up for about £15 - the NEC and Liteon drives don't seem to be so hot. LG drives seem more reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by seanc
                  New DVDRW drives can often be picked up for about £15 - the NEC and Liteon drives don't seem to be so hot. LG drives seem more reliable.
                  You have it the other way around. The Lite-On drives are amongst the best in terms of ability, though I can't vouch for their build quality. I hate LG drives.
                  "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Maybe I had a bad batch then. They were all struggling to read the OEM Windows 7 discs, I tried a few of them. Could be a bad batch of discs from Microsoft also... the NEC and HP drives were fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X