Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New WD laptop drive louder than normal - Trust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New WD laptop drive louder than normal - Trust?

I'm doing a bunch of laptop upgrades at work, and we've been using the Western Digital WD800EVE drives to replace aging 30gb drives. Normally, these drives are very quiet. However, I just installed one that's much louder than normal. The bearings are quiet, but seek noise is much louder. SMART has not yet registered any faults, and the speed is right where it should be.

Should I be worried about premature failure with this drive? I'm going to do a full error scan to make sure there's no bad sectors. I'm very tempted to just RMA the drive. I'm already nervous because I just had one fail after 9 months in use.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Re: New WD laptop drive louder than normal - Trust?

Drive tests good, but I still do not like it at all...
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

i think it will fail.
      capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

clone it, and then let it die...

because somehow i doubt wd will send new drive just on basis of sound...or am i wrong?
        if they will, sure, return it...

>I'm already nervous because I just had one fail after 9 months in use.

out of how many drives?
        you don't expect that all drives will make it thru first year, do you?

Comment

Noise is never good and not acceptable today. Plus, you have the advantage of comparing to the others that are silent.

RMA it.

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

I had a Maxtor 80GB it's motor emitted a high pitched screech I can't really describe it. Like a weeeeeeeeee sound.

I ran it until it became intermittent as you can already guess the motor functionality became hit and miss eventually.

I had my WD Sata 500GB purchased early 07 fail this year luckily it had a 3 year warranty.

No motor noises it ran quiet as the day I bought it just one day the computer crashed and bad sectors appeared in just the right places to prevent XP from booting. I did a fdisk to repair the drive and make it readable and made off with my data.

WD replaced it with a 650Gb model. I upgraded the PC to a 1 TB Seagate put the replacement HDD in a USB enclosure and use it to backup my important data. No way I'm getting caught with my pants down like that again that was too close.
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 10-12-2009, 04:28 PM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

one of my wd 40gb deskto pdrives died like this. made loud noise even since i got it. dead now. i bet the allied pos is to blame (hooked to it before i got it)
              sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I've got maybe 15 of these drives in service right now. None older than 9 months. So the count is, 1 failed after 9 months, and 1 noisy right out of the packaging. Other than that, these drives have been great... cheap, quiet, fast, and that 3 year warranty, which is great for a laptop drive.

I should mention; their RMA process is quite painless. Enter the Ser #, if it's in warranty, you enter a short description of the problem, hit submit, and voila, you've got an RMA. I'm guessing I won't have a problem sending this noisy drive back. I'll let you guys know how I make out.
                Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

The Western Digital RMA process is a model for others to follow.
                  They allow you to do a cross ship, secured with a credit card.

Seagate makes you wait a whole month while they fart around receiving the old drive. You cannot get a replacement until after they receive/check out the old one. No cross ship possible.

Assholes.

I will buy another Seagate about as soon as I buy another Antec power supply. I hope they don't hold their breath while waiting...

Comment

Sending in the loud drive today.

Just got back my replacement for the one with bad sectors... they sent a WD1600BEVE (160gb) drive as a replacement for the bad 80gb. Drive is dated Sep 30 2009 and has no "refurbished" stickers on it. Every Seagate drive I've ever gotten for RMA has been a refurb.
                    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I've ran many HDD's with ungodly loud bearing whine, and they still worked when taken out of service. A clicker on the other hand, its days are definitely numbered.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                      http://folding.stanford.edu/
                      Team : 49813
                      Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

kinda off topic, but...

the hd cooling in the emachines t5026 is non-existant. my 250gb maxtor gets a bit warm i notice. no obvious way to cool it without changing cases, which i do not have a worthy one right now... i have yet to see a case with twin front firewire ports other than the stock one...

am i killing my drive by using this case, or should i stop using it? ironically, its my gaming computer right now... 4gb of ram helps!
                        sigpic

Comment

use a dremel tool or something and drill holes to mount fans

Comment

nope, the way its built, it would be a PITA to make work... and i would weaken the case in the process. the case is beat up but i have no uATX case with front usb AND audio... and im too cheap to buy a card reader. also, i custom wired the psu to match the case setup...
                            sigpic

Comment

What's "a bit warm"? What does the SMART reading say?
                              Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

no smart readings, warm enough to be noticable. still runs fine, i just wondering if i could be slowly killing it.
                                sigpic

Comment

My old Maxtor 200gb drive ran at over 40*C for years and it's still fine. Now that I have a proper case, my two hard drives only run around 30c
                                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

hmm... so im okay then
                                    sigpic

Comment

Just an update on the original drive in this thread. WD did replace it, and it came back as a 160gb like the other one I returned. So, even though there was no bad sectors and the drive worked fine, they still approved the return based on the face that it was louder than it should've been.
                                      Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

good. they did the right thing. they probably figured it was on the way out.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X