Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forcing a video card fan to always run at full speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forcing a video card fan to always run at full speed.

this is dragging on, just put big fans on it hooked to the psu - mad-max pc!

btw, what dick thought calling a fan control thing "afterburner" was a good idea!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
      Do the newer nVidia cards do the dual BIOS for the video cards as well or is this mainly an AMD video card thing?
      It's mainly an AMD video card thing
      "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        this is dragging on, just put big fans on it hooked to the psu - mad-max pc!

btw, what dick thought calling a fan control thing "afterburner" was a good idea!!
        The fan problems been fixed for a while now Stj. Thanks for the suggestions though.

It was just a driver issue.
        -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

one method i use to force a 4pin pwm video card fan to run at full speed is to hotwire the fan connector. or rather i use a needle to remove the blue wire pin from the fan plug connector. this removes the pwm pulse sense pin and makes the fan run at full blast.

however, some multiple fan video cards dont have this pwm pin or some only use three or two pins for the fan. in which case, soldering a jumper wire like stj said is the only way.

for some cards, the fan profile curve is controlled by the video bios. in which case, modding and reflashing the video bios is the "soft" solution instead of resorting to hard mods on the card. rather than cross-flash using the video bios of another brand's card, u might as well just mod the existing video bios. modding the existing bios has less chance of bricking the card than trying to cross-flash.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
            one method i use to force a 4pin pwm video card fan to run at full speed is to hotwire the fan connector. or rather i use a needle to remove the blue wire pin from the fan plug connector. this removes the pwm pulse sense pin and makes the fan run at full blast.
            +1
            This works well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
              What oil do you use for the fans? Maybe the ones I've tried had the bearings that you said you couldn't do it with, but at best, I get maybe 3 extra months out of the fan before it seizes again from all the dust. I've tried it a few times on laptop fans. I researched for better oil, but I guess the stuff the manufacturers use is a bit of a secret.
              Silicone grease. Take a little bit from the can using a toothpick. Use a hot air station, hair drier, or a lighter or small blowtorch from a distance to melt it into liquid and let it flow inside the fan bearing. Goes back to paste once it cools down below 60C, thus it does not flow back out.

If the bearing has been thoroughly cleaned beforehand and is not damaged, it will keep going for 1 year or more.

Sadly nowadays more low-quality fans come with sealed bearings - that sucks. I have tried drilling a hole and putting lube in that way but it inevitably makes metal dust that falls inside and makes scratching noises.

Speaking of secret stuff however, i do wonder what kind of lube Matsushita/Panasonic put in their fans - the likes of old laptops like HP Compaq business models and some Toshibas and Sony Vaios had Panasonic fans. They have sealed bearings but i've never seen one seized or grinding, even in laptops that had never been cleaned in their 8- or 10-year lifetimes. That kind of lifetime is unmatched by any other manufacturer afaik.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
              X