LM723 adjustable bench PSU not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LM723 adjustable bench PSU not working

that whole "finished" vs "unfinished" is pure u.s. bullshit - the rest of the world has no such rules.

it was probably created so u.s. company's could make everything in asia, then ship it in "unfinished" and finish it by sticking a "product of u.s.a." label on it!!!!

just like u.s. goods being taxed on the production line even if they are for export.
    i wont mess with words here, the u.s. is under economic attack/sabotage from within by these treasonous rules.
    and i fully understand if people try to find workarounds.

trump needs to fix this shit if he wants to create jobs.
    you dont fucking tax company's for making stuff!!!!!

Comment

Actually no. Countries like china put an import tax on everything and dont tax exports. USA makes it complicated and puts it on some things and not others...

It's a compromise.

Comment

If it's a "kit" or PCB and not a finished product, it is perceived as no threat to local manufacturers, and there is no need for any regulatory approvals- it is a part not a complete assembly.

I make a PSU to learn and master it. Using chinese boards is always a hassle because of fake specs and cheap components. So it seems quicker to buy it off eBay but more time troubleshooting the cheap undersized capacitors, or cooling things etc.
        So far every one I've bought needs major design rework.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
          Would definitely like to get the DC-DC supply STJ linked to....not terribly expensive and looks fairly professional....stick an UPS transformer on it and I'd have myself a decent PSU. Some of my colleagues order stuff from Ebay and Aliexpress all the friggin' time, albeit very cheap stuff, like miscellaneous tablet and phone components, so I'm not sure at what value customs tax is added...or VAT...or some stuff like that...anyway SOMETHING extra is added if the parcel's value is higher than X. Will have to do some research. If this thing costs 36 dollars, I don't know if that's the final price I'll actually pay or I'll also pay a tax twice that, at which point it's probably not worth it...:|
          You won't pay VAT for $36. It's $50+ items that may give you grief, but not all the time - it depends how the seller marks the package... I have had to pay VAT a grand total of ONE time, for a stick of 8GB DDR3, back in the day when they were super expensive over here. And i've ordered higher value items than that and got away without tax.

Even if you would have to pay, for that value it would be like $8 so don't worry. Still cheaper than grabbing such a module from a local distributor - where'd you think they get them from?
          Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 07-23-2017, 11:22 AM.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

that's in Romania i assume,
            each country has it's own rules about maximum declaired value before tax is applied.

u.k. is £15 last time i looked - and getting lower every damned year!!
            luckily they only check small parcels from china at random - so you usually arent hit.

they put a lot of resources into monitoring stuff from the u.s. though.

Comment

From what I read online, VAT is 19% here (RO) and is added when the parcel is shipped from outside the EU or when its value is over 10 dollars, both of which apply in the case of that thingy I wanna buy. It's still not terribly expensive so I'm gonna go for it. My only real concern is being able to get my money back in the unlikely scenario that something goes haywire....
              Wattevah...

Comment

My only real concern is being able to get my money back in the unlikely scenario that something goes haywire....
                If you're getting it from ebay you have paypal, if you're ordering from AliExpress they have disputes too, and are very helpful if you provide a detailed explanation and photos/video of the issue you are having.
                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                  If you're getting it from ebay you have paypal, if you're ordering from AliExpress they have disputes too, and are very helpful if you provide a detailed explanation and photos/video of the issue you are having.
                  This Banggood deal seems to be trustworthy as well. From you guys' description, it's similar to those other bigger ones like ebay and Ali....
                  Wattevah...

Comment

those psu modules can be noticably cheaper on AliExpress.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                      those psu modules can be noticably cheaper on AliExpress.
                      Haven't ordered it yet, so I might look it up there as well
                      Wattevah...

Comment

i think the actual maker sells them direct through AE

Comment

Just received that PSU module today and it's pretty nifty The most "professional" PSU I've ever owned so far To be honest I thought it looked a bit cheap, but it CAN take it and the build quality is far superior to other things I've seen...sure the caps are no big brand names, the cover for the LCD display flops around slightly and the knob for the pot was not put on straight, but these are just cosmetics. Other than that, no cold joints, no globs of hot glue like you tend to find on stuff like this.

I was instantly reminded of Dave from EEV and how he'd probably throw it right in the trash and call it a complete piece of junk....which actually gives me a great idea for an EEVBlog video suggestion: Dave reviewing one of these China supplies....we all know what the outcome would be, but hey, for the money you can't really beat it
                          Wattevah...

Comment

Which PSU did you end up ordering? Was it a DPS5015 (50V 15A) ?

The smaller ones i.e. DPS3005 (30V 5A) everything is in the display module- no second board.

Some of these do not support charging batteries!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by redwire View Post
                              Which PSU did you end up ordering? Was it a DPS5015 (50V 15A) ?

The smaller ones i.e. DPS3005 (30V 5A) everything is in the display module- no second board.

Some of these do not support charging batteries!
                              Yes, the one that STJ linked to long ago - I believe it's the most "powerful" of the lot.
                              Wattevah...

Comment

I was instantly reminded of Dave from EEV and how he'd probably throw it right in the trash and call it a complete piece of junk....which actually gives me a great idea for an EEVBlog video suggestion: Dave reviewing one of these China supplies....we all know what the outcome would be, but hey, for the money you can't really beat it
                                I would not say that at all.
                                I bought a Elfa branded 5A 30v bench PSU a few months back: RND Lab 320-KD3005D
                                I absolutely love it because it's compact so fits nicely in my van and of quality steel construction.
                                Yet it costs well below $100
                                I choose it over the more advanced programmable version since I simply have no need for that functionality.

But yesterday while looking around Youtube I found it's actually made by a Chinese company called Korad and eevblog had looked at it and first failed it.
                                But the manufacturer did the right thing and fixed the issues reported with it!

EEVblog #314 - Korad KA3005P PSU Teardown
                                EEVblog #315 - Korad KA3005P Review/FAIL
                                EEVblog #404 - Korad PSU Followup

The only thing I would do differently is buy the 10A model (which seems to only exist in the programmable version).
                                But Elfa has not imported that one, and there is an added benefit of having a local service agent of course...

That said browsing Aliexpress I found this bunch of test leads I might just go for
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                  That said browsing Aliexpress I found this bunch of test leads I might just go for
                                  Sh!t, I SO WANT THOSE I actually have half that kit - bought it a while back from my electronics store, but a "refill" would definitely be handy. Only downside is that I don't see a square Lenovo power jack. I found that separately in my country but was fairly pricey for a piece of wire with two jacks either end so I let it slide for now. Deffo getting those you linked to
                                  Wattevah...

Comment

Dang now you're making me thinking about getting one or buying the guts for one, alas I already have a 0-18V 15A analog PSU (CC/CV, crappy regulation (overshoot/undershoots like mad) as it's SCR based, but works with fairly high efficiency nevertheless - does not really get hot.)

*sigh*

Comment

here is a review:
                                      http://lygte-info.dk/review/Power%20DPS5015%20UK.html

and a review of one that can boost!
                                      http://lygte-info.dk/review/Power%20DPH3205%20UK.html

great site btw, here is the index page:
                                      http://lygte-info.dk/

Comment

Sh!t, I SO WANT THOSE I actually have half that kit - bought it a while back from my electronics store, but a "refill" would definitely be handy. Only downside is that I don't see a square Lenovo power jack. I found that separately in my country but was fairly pricey for a piece of wire with two jacks either end so I let it slide for now. Deffo getting those you linked to
                                        is the lenovo the yellow rectangle?
                                        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253074640200

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                                          is the lenovo the yellow rectangle?
                                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253074640200
                                          Yeah, I said "square"....facepalm....rectangle is what I meant and yes that's the one
                                          Wattevah...

Comment

Working...
                                          X