e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: e701i-a3 no picture but backlights

Hey just a shout out to budwich, freakaft8 and the rest of the crew. Found a TV by the dumpster (Vizio 70 A3i) and was able to fix it by removing the side tab drivers on the right side. I didn't even have to fix the TCON board Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by budwich View Post
      ok... so you got the picture part right... now how about some description of what this represents... what cables are connected, what are not. My guess is you have bad tabs on the right side (looking at the picture). You should spend some time and read thru the thread as there is lots of info and you are basically close to a save.
      Here has been my process:
      • Only backlight, no boot-up
      • Remove the right white ribbon and see no change. Re-attach right white ribbon
      • Remove the left white ribbon and see no change. Re-attach left white ribbon
      • Remove both white ribbons and see no change. Re-attach both white ribbons
      • Order t-con board and install
      • Get boot-up but picture is black/blurry on right side with horizontal line across entire screen 1/3 of the way up from the bottom (previous photo)
      • Remove right white ribbon and right side driver panel
      • Get full picture but it is not particularly sharp and has a green (and sometimes red) tint. See photo below
      Attached Files

Comment

hmmm.... show a picture of the back panel with attention to the "right side panel" removed. how did you remove it?

Comment

hmmm.... show a picture of the back panel with attention to the "right side panel" removed. how did you remove it?
          I can't get a photo right now unfortunately, but I followed the pictures and videos that Freak has posted on how to remove it. I unplugged the white ribbon at the bottom and then carefully pulled off the five tabs to remove the side driver component and set it aside. I put the metal cover back on the side with the white ribbon at the bottom unattached to anything.

I can snap a photo tonight if that will help. Thanks for helping me through this!

Comment

My resistance readings on my tcon are 800ohms on one side and almost nothing on the other (1 ohm.) You think its shorted?

Comment

interesting.... not sure anyone has actually check that way. I would think that they should be the same on both sides.... 1 ohm is pretty low as you are then likely looking at 12 amp flow.... which is pretty high. see if you can do a "visual" on that side looking at the various tab drivers for signs of heating / over heating.

oops.... you are doing reading of the "fets" on the tcon board. It appear that the fet in question is shorted.
              Last edited by budwich; 06-12-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Just used this method to fix my Dell 3007wfp monitor. Thanks again, folks!

Comment

good to know that a few other types of sets can be "saved" this way. I assume that you may have some issues with refresh rates and possibly resolutions being a bit soft ... maybe.

Comment

No issues, everything is perfect.

Comment

good to know that a few other types of sets can be "saved" this way. I assume that you may have some issues with refresh rates and possibly resolutions being a bit soft ... maybe.
                      im having a strange issue even tried a second tcon board but it had no effect... the picture looks very pixelated and almost out of focus... if its not the panel at this point I suppose it could be the main board but its odd that know one else has this issue if its the panel and or its related to removing the side buffers off one side.

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyWakes View Post
                        Here has been my process:
                        • Only backlight, no boot-up
                        • Remove the right white ribbon and see no change. Re-attach right white ribbon
                        • Remove the left white ribbon and see no change. Re-attach left white ribbon
                        • Remove both white ribbons and see no change. Re-attach both white ribbons
                        • Order t-con board and install
                        • Get boot-up but picture is black/blurry on right side with horizontal line across entire screen 1/3 of the way up from the bottom (previous photo)
                        • Remove right white ribbon and right side driver panel
                        • Get full picture but it is not particularly sharp and has a green (and sometimes red) tint. See photo below
                        I think im having the same exact issues as you after the same fix only I removed the left side buffer boards. picture looks poor with marcoblocking like that in dark scenes... tried second tcon after reading on another forum it corrected this issue for someone but it did nothing for me.
                        Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-19-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by augiedoggy View Post
                          I think im having the same exact issues as you after the same fix only I removed the left side buffer boards. picture looks poor with marcoblocking like that in dark scenes... tried second tcon after reading on another forum it corrected this issue for someone but it did nothing for me.
                          That does sound like what mine looks like. Blocky and out of focus. I may try a second new Tcon because perhaps I blew the last new one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

you might consider replacing the lvds cable going from the main to the tcon.

Comment

I have tried cleaning and reseating the cable multiple times... I may try replacing it but I already have an extra tcon board now and hate to keep sinking money into it... I have about a dozen other sets repaired sitting here that I cant even give them away it seems... Even as little as a year ago I could sell them easily.

At this rate I think I will live to see the day when people buy clothes to wear them once and throw them away instead of washing them..
                              Last edited by augiedoggy; 06-23-2017, 06:06 AM.

Comment

:-( it is rather disappointing as I know. Hopefully, the card replacement will work. My "take" on blocking / fuzzy, is that it is associated with loss of transmission "integrity" (error or timing or otherwise) resulting in compensation or otherwise by an appropriate circuit that tries to do "magic" with what it did get but it could just as much be a problem with the "end circuit" not handling the incoming stream well for what ever reason.
                                I do seem to recall a few other instances where tcon replacement helped with this type of problem though.

Comment

Yes well in my case both tcons have the same picture quality..

Comment

Looks like the new T-con board did the trick for me.

Thanks!

Comment

On my way out of town this past Sunday for a work trip I came across a Vizio e701i-a3 but didn't have the time to try to power it up (only had time to swing back by the house and drop it off in the shop)... I can't wait to get back home and see what I've got!

Comment

Originally posted by freakaftr8 View Post
                                        , ok what you have disconnected in your pictures looks proper. However you need to test your t-con board to make sure that its not failed from the get go. A lot of eBay sellers are selling bunk non functioning tcon boards. You'll notice in my illustrations one picture shows which transistor to check mark with the red box. You need to set your voltmeter to ohms mode and black probe the center pin right probe the right bottom pin in the left bottom pin make sure that neither side is shorted. One side should show roughly 500 ohms and the other side should show almost infinite. If your getting anything other than that your tcon board is toast
                                        Do I have this right?
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Update on my find... turns out the screen was broken so this one is not a candidate for the surgery fix.

Comment

Working...
                                          X