Toshiba LED TV, blank screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toshiba LED TV, blank screen

Main board is the most likely cause of this. It is possible you received a bad main board. Did the seller indicate if the board was tested? Most of them cannot, and do not, test their boards.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

When my Toshiba 32BV702B went Blank screen (2 seconds to blank) back in November, I contacted Toshiba Support (Number on Website) and they talked me through the factory default reset using the remote, which worked fine.

Only downside is I think the fault was still lurking in the background as the PSU blew 2 months later
      I don't like to leave a job I started unfinished

Comment

Originally posted by Fred53 View Post
        Only downside is I think the fault was still lurking in the background as the PSU blew 2 months later
        Maybe it was a faulty PSU all along
        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
        -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Fred53 View Post
          When my Toshiba 32BV702B went Blank screen (2 seconds to blank) back in November, I contacted Toshiba Support (Number on Website) and they talked me through the factory default reset using the remote, which worked fine.

This is a completely different TV. Your TV is Vestel. Nothing, and I repeat, nothing is made by Toshiba. It is exactly the same as an Alba, Bush, Technika, etc. but with the Toshiba badge, slightly different pedestal stand and exterior styling -- oh, and of course, a £50 to £100 price increase.

The PSUs on them are so terribly unreliable (this is my third in 6 months) they are all doomed to fail sooner, or later. I have repaired the PSU in a Digihome 26", a Toshiba 32" (same as yours) and now I'm working on a Hitachi 32" with the same PSU, and all with the same fault.

Contrast this to MDluffy's TV, which appears to be engineered and manufactured by Toshiba. Who knows why they do that for this TV but abandon the European market and rebadge crap TVs. Shame on Toshiba execs - dragging a once good brand name through the dirt.
          Last edited by tom66; 03-16-2014, 04:10 AM.
          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Well....got myself an "SSL 460_3E1B" inverter board..$40 from Aliexpress...website seems very reasonable, only a long delivery time... installed what voila! the TV is working!! but hold on.... wanted to make sure, cycled power a few times and once it came up with sound but no video... cycled power again and all seems ok... left it on for several hours, and then blank! with sound...tv status has a new parts (inverter, main, tcon). Something is going on... since I can get a screen working (most of the time) will try the FW update again...
            Thanks, MDLuffy

Comment

FW update - well, finally got the FW update working... definitely helped that I could see the screen in order to select 'yes'... learned something maybe useful to others... initially used a usb hanging around... didn't work. It was 8GB and formated NTFS. Found an older usb, 512MB (website said 256MB min) and formatted FAT32. bingo, worked like a champ. results? time will tell, although I have to now figure out how to get the channels happy... some are proper aspect ratio for 46", and other channels seem stuck on low quality with view not going out to sides... will keep all posted, thanks MDLuffy

Comment

Might just be they were broadcasting an old non-widescreen show at the time?
                "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                -David VanHorn

Comment

More than likely... I also found the setup that auto-shows in native format... seems like all the channels are now in HD and full screen... So yesterday, after an hour or so, the screen goes blank. Today, on power up it was blank (with sound and control). Cycled power twice with same result. New observation though... instead of using the remote power button, I unplugged the outlet from the wall and plugged back in... it came up fine!? Will try a few more times to see if this is a fluke or not. Thanks MDLuffy

Comment

5 for 5...when TV is on, screen blank but can hear sound and use controls - pull the AC plug, wait 2 sec, plug back in (nothing else) then the TV will come back on with screen working...if I cycle power with the remote control, it screen will not turn on....

Comment

Was the new PSU you bought brand new or 2nd hand? If it was brand new then probably something else in the TV is bad, if it was 2nd hand... who knows.
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

All the parts I bought were second hand, but from "working" units...will try and look for a new PSU.

Comment

We have had many successful repairs with this model
                          There is a failed Voltage Regulator on the Main Board which controls dimming feature But,
                          This problem can be very simply be repaired by crossing wires 15 & 16 on the connector from the Power Supply to the Main Board.
                          The TV will not have the dimming feature but, this can easily be adjusted in the Menu by selecting Dynamic Mode or, the mode which suits your taste

Alternatively, (IF you have the proper equipment) you can change the SMD Voltage Regulator

This is a very common failure in these Televisions

This fix applies ONLY to the set initially powering on showing the Red Toshiba Logo and fade to black

Hope this Helps

Aimee
                          Electronic Surplus
                          This Forum absolutely the best and, the most helpful forum I have ever found anywhere. thanks to all the fantastic members here
                          Help keep these from the landfills

Comment

In fact, this is a very common failure with a Great deal of LED Televisions
                            This Forum absolutely the best and, the most helpful forum I have ever found anywhere. thanks to all the fantastic members here
                            Help keep these from the landfills

Comment

I have the same issue with my unit. The wire switch doesn't change the issue. Has anyone been able to get a straight fix for this issue or am I going to have to start fishing. Thanks

Comment

The above info was nearly correct. Pull the #15 wire and tape it off. (You can read the board code that says "dim".) Viola! I just figured this out today, and multiple tests show success.

Comment

Or do the same on pin 14 ex_dim (External Dim) control signal line on that CN001 of the LED power supply board which is the same as pin 14 (DIM) of the connector P804 of the Main power supply board which is connected pin 15 of P802, the Dim control signal is just looped through the power supply board connectors.
                                  On post 32 saying to swap the wire on pin 15 (DIM) and 16 (BL_ON: Backlights on), I do not believe that will not work because you need the BL_ON signal line to turn on the backlights circuits. The question is: Is the BL_ON or the DIM signal present or not? And is the EX_DIM PWM or Analog Dimming control signal?
                                  Last edited by budm; 07-07-2014, 05:45 PM.
                                  Never stop learning
                                  Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                  http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Hi Folks...I picked up this same model through Craigslist last week knowing it had a very similar issue. The only difference is when turned on, i will typically get an image for a 5-10 seconds, then the screen starts flashing and goes blank. You can see the image but the backlight stops working. Audio continues to work fine. I can power the set off with the remote and immediately turn back on and the image will come back. Once in a while i can get the image to stay on for 30-40 minutes. I did a quick experiment by changing the input selection once the flashing started, and from what I could tell it did have some effect since I was able to continue seeing the menu image and the screen stopped flashing. Turning the input back to ANT/CABLE the screen would begin flashing again.

Certainly sounds like it could be a main board issue. Do you think the fix stated above would be helpful in my case? When the image stays on, the TV looks great and I'm hesitant to cut or disconnect wires that i wouldn't be able to reconnect later. Also, I hear so many horror stories of upgrading firmware I'm afraid to try it

Comment

I downloaded and installed the firmware update and the TV worked great for about an hour as my kids and I watched a couple episodes of The Simpsons. I told my wife it was fixed, she came downstairs to see and it crapped out again. Dammit.

Comment

The wires can be reconnected easily. They have a quick-release. Try it.

Comment

Originally posted by bktanner View Post
                                          The wires can be reconnected easily. They have a quick-release. Try it.
                                          Are you talking about the wires/ribbons attached to the boards? That was the first thing I did was to disconnect, clean them off, and reconnect them. There was no change in the issue which prompted me to post in this forum.

Comment

Working...
                                          X