Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEC Capacitors

Has anyone heard of this company?

The caps can be identified with a large P and then CE-TUx where x denotes the series suffix.

I'm particularly interested in the datasheet for the TUR and TUL series, as I want to recap an Enermax EG301P-VE Power Supply. The layout is very nice on the PCB top, and this will be a pleasure to work with. For that, I have to give them credit.

I checked the capacitor database at http://capacitor.web.fc2.com/ which lead me to their website http://www.ceccoils.com but unfortunately, there are no capacitor or datasheets.

Since this is an old P4 power supply, I suspected that perhaps they had stopped producing capacitors, but this Jonnyguru review of the Enermax ECO 80+ 620W clearly shows these capacitors in this PSU, and this review is from June 2009.

Either Enermax is using really old stock on their new PSUs or CEC is still making ther caps.

Any information would be appreciated.
    "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Re: CEC Capacitors

i've seen them (JPCE-TUR, TUL and TUT) in older Seasonic PSUs.
    i also ran into the no-datasheet-brickwall on them back then

Comment

Reliability is comparable to Capxon or Teapo.
      Sometimes they last sometimes not.

I have found their site before and may have data sheets.
      Will get back on that.
      Mann-Made Global Warming.
      - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
      -
      You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
      -

Comment

I remember now.
        Their website is a waste of time.
        -
        Why have a website when you don't even LIST any of your products?
        - Let alone provide product information...

I sent them an email and told them they are stupid.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

They have a catalogue on their website, but their mains specialty is not capacitors, so they're not listed in this catalogue.

I also sent them an email and asked them for info. Let's see if they get back to me.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Best I could find was this. - Series Table 2002-March

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200.../ecap_e/02.htm

The TUL Series is the only one they even claim Low Impedance for.
            The rest are all GP caps.
            Last edited by PCBONEZ; 04-11-2011, 05:01 PM.

-

- Dr Seuss
            -
            -

Comment

Very nice. So TUL are the Low Impedance ones. This will do the trick. Thank you very much.

Comment

I know this is an extremely old thread, but I came here looking for those datasheets as well. I actually found the company that I think makes them now, JYE FWE Electronics Limited Co.

http://www.jyefwe.com/en/products.html

I've downloaded all of the datasheets from their website and have uploaded them in a .zip file, in case the site ever goes down and people need them.

The zip file contains datasheets for the following capacitors:
                Code:
                (SMD Type)
                Pce-TGV
                Pce-TRV
                Pce-TSV

(General Type)
                Pce-TUK
                Pce-TUM
                Pce-UMA
                Pce-UMH

(Power Supply or High Frequency Type)
                Pce-TEB
                Pce-THZ
                Pce-TLF
                Pce-TPE
                Pce-TPG
                Pce-TUL
                Pce-TUT
                Pce-TUX
                Pce-TUZ

(Screw-Mount Standard Type)
                Pce-TME
                Pce-TMH

(Snap-in Type)
                Pce-EKM
                Pce-TLM
                Pce-TMA
                Pce-TMM
                Pce-TMP
                Pce-TUF
                Pce-TUS
                Pce-TUW

(Special Type)
                Pce-THE
                Pce-TUH

(Standard Type)
                Pce-TKM
                Pce-TNP
                Pce-TUA
                Pce-TUC
                Pce-TUR
                There's also some extra stuff I grabbed from their website. This is what they called and what I named it:
                Code:
                Lead Forming and Cut Foot.jpg
                Packaging.jpg
                Product Overview - 1.jpg
                Product Overview - 2.jpg
                Tape Standard.jpg
                They had two product overviews, so I just added a - 1 and a - 2.

I hope this helps someone out who's looking for the datasheets for those pesky buggers! These datasheets that I've uploaded seem to be higher quality than the various ones I've found floating around on badcaps. This company, as far as I can tell, only sells capacitors and it only sells these capacitors, so I think this might be the new owners of those pesky Pce capacitors, not that CEC company.

Thanks!
                Attached Files
                -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

Thanks Spork...

The Enermax PSU was re-capped a while ago with Rubycon ZLS (And two, nice Cornell Dubilier primary caps), and it's waiting to go into a K6-2 build (for old dos games)...

Still got those CEC caps sitting in a baggie here somewhere... It would be interesting to see how they test after all these years.

Comment

Yeah, I figured you didn't actually need the datasheets anymore, but I've seen a lot of posts of people asking for them and when I used google to search for them, I was redirected here, so I thought hey, want not share in case someone else goes looking, you know what I mean?

I just happen to be recapping an Enermax PSU as well. I wanted to use some nicer caps that had a much longer lifetime (around 10,000 hours) but in some areas, I had to go for ones that only had 3,000 or so hours. It's because the caps that were on there where only 10mm in diameter (3,300uF and either 10v or 16v). They were sooooo close together that if you moved one of them, they'd all move. I could only find one capacitor that was 10mm in diameter at that capacitance and voltage rating. If I could have fit 12mm in diameter caps there, I could have gotten the 10,000 hour lifetime caps. That would have been nice!

Comment

Also, when you say primary caps, are you talking those big giant ones? I thought they were called PFC Booster Caps and I thought there was generally only one. I haven't heard of Cornell Dubilier, but I haven't heard of a lot of capacitor manufacturer names. I ran across a company called EPCOS, and that had one that looked real nice, for the PFC Booster Cap, but I'm not replacing that one. I think the one in this is a Hitachi HP3. Those EPCOS ones I was looking at, they said they were self-healing and had a really long lifetime rating of 10,000 hours @ 85c. But I'd have to buy a minimum of 240 and they're around 6$ - 7.50$ a pop!!!! I couldn't purchase that many of them, but boy, would I love to find one of them somewheres.

Comment

I bought two Epcos caps for my favorite amplifier. It is 22,000 uF @ 100V, 77mm x100mm. Digikey had two varieties available one was $200 the other was $100. The specs and manufacturers part number was exactly the same. Digikey said the expensive was in stock, the cheaper was in stock at Farnell and I'd have to wait an extra week for customs. Mouser had them for $200. I bought two from Farnell through Digikey for $200 total. I'll wait a week to save $200. I've ended up buying quite a few parts from Farnell's, just outside London, because it was cheaper, even with shipping.
                        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Originally posted by Spork Schivago View Post
                          Also, when you say primary caps, are you talking those big giant ones? I thought they were called PFC Booster Caps and I thought there was generally only one. I haven't heard of Cornell Dubilier, but I haven't heard of a lot of capacitor manufacturer names. I ran across a company called EPCOS, and that had one that looked real nice, for the PFC Booster Cap, but I'm not replacing that one. I think the one in this is a Hitachi HP3. Those EPCOS ones I was looking at, they said they were self-healing and had a really long lifetime rating of 10,000 hours @ 85c. But I'd have to buy a minimum of 240 and they're around 6$ - 7.50$ a pop!!!! I couldn't purchase that many of them, but boy, would I love to find one of them somewheres.
                          These models don't have PFC, do they?

What the large caps do on the primary side is take the DC signal from the bridge rectifier and smooth it.

Yea they were Cornell Dubilier SLPX series, specifically these. They were for a project from mid-2011 that didn't come to fruition, so they were perfect for the Enermax.

No one's 100% certain whether Epcos is a reliable brand or not. Someone here claimed they were junk a long time ago... Someone will almost certainly correct this if it's innacurate, but large primary caps don't usually need to be replaced with as much vigilance as small secondary caps because they're only filtering very low frequency ripple, so they're not nearly as stressed.

The exception to this would be primaries with a PFC circuit, where the large caps then do filter high-frequency ripple..

The only complaint about these old Enermax PSUs is that the stand-by circuit gets very hot even when the PC is shut down. But that's been covered here on this forum in great length in other threads, and it's a project for another day.

What are you doing with your Enermax?

Comment

Oh my, 100 bucks for a cap? You kidding me?

As for Enermax units, I have only seen some ancient ones here on photos without PFC (some AT maybe), everything else I've ever seen always had active, boost circuit.
                            Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                            Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by rhomanski View Post
                              I bought two Epcos caps for my favorite amplifier. It is 22,000 uF @ 100V, 77mm x100mm. Digikey had two varieties available one was $200 the other was $100. The specs and manufacturers part number was exactly the same. Digikey said the expensive was in stock, the cheaper was in stock at Farnell and I'd have to wait an extra week for customs. Mouser had them for $200. I bought two from Farnell through Digikey for $200 total. I'll wait a week to save $200. I've ended up buying quite a few parts from Farnell's, just outside London, because it was cheaper, even with shipping.
                              Wait, why was one capacitor sooooo expensive? Just because of it's capacitance and voltage rating?

I wanted a 390uF 400V cap EPCOS for this PSU I'm rebuilding, although the Hitachi is fine. I thought that'd probably be the nicest cap I could put there. But I can't find any place that will sell just a single one. Mouser and Digikey don't have them in stock and I need to buy something like 240 of them if I want to place an order. I'm not familiar with Farnell. I just googled them and found a site called newark that has some but the wrong diameter.

Are those EPCOS really as good as some of the sites on the internet claim they are? The ones I were looking at had some sort of self-healing property, so if the dielectric dried up, they'd still work or something like that.

Comment

I'd say on par with japanese caps.

What about those 3300/16 D10, wanna? AFAIK nobody else carries those. And I also have some samples of 390/400
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Maybe it was Newark. It was the one affiliated with Farnell's. I think they told me they were owned by Farnell's so that would be Newark I guess.

At any rate it was six years ago and I found only Epcos and Panasonic making a 77mm cap of that voltage and capacitance. The original was 80 volts but no one made an 80 volt in that diameter. I could have changed out the metal mounting ring but instead just bumped it up in voltage. The original was 95mm tall and the replacement was 100mm. It just barely fit. I couldn't find anyone that carried the Panasonic, I only found it, on the Panasonic website.

I just checked and found some that might work and they are only $50 to $80. I would be worried 105mm might be too tall and I wouldn't be able to get the top screwed down without a bulge. Maybe I could though. Luckily the ones I found then barely fit, but they do fit just fine. It's been six years since I overhauled it and it works fine and still sounds better than anything I have ever heard before. That's why it's my favorite amp. I have more that are almost as good but none as good.

http://www.digikey.com/products/en/c...=0&pageSize=25 .
                                  sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                    These models don't have PFC, do they?

What the large caps do on the primary side is take the DC signal from the bridge rectifier and smooth it.

Yea they were Cornell Dubilier SLPX series, specifically these. They were for a project from mid-2011 that didn't come to fruition, so they were perfect for the Enermax.

No one's 100% certain whether Epcos is a reliable brand or not. Someone here claimed they were junk a long time ago... Someone will almost certainly correct this if it's innacurate, but large primary caps don't usually need to be replaced with as much vigilance as small secondary caps because they're only filtering very low frequency ripple, so they're not nearly as stressed.

The exception to this would be primaries with a PFC circuit, where the large caps then do filter high-frequency ripple..

The only complaint about these old Enermax PSUs is that the stand-by circuit gets very hot even when the PC is shut down. But that's been covered here on this forum in great length in other threads, and it's a project for another day.

What are you doing with your Enermax?
                                    Sorry for the delay in the response.

I still struggle very much with trying to understand capacitors. I think it's really one of the last few things I need to figure out before it all clicks and I can start making my own boards. I need to buy some hard covered books that will teach me stuff. Can you recommend any? I try using the internet to learn but every time I sit down at the PC, I get side track! I seem to learn best from actual printed books.

This isn't my Enermax. It's a customers. It was going back into his broken PC that he brought me to fix, but after we decided he wanted me to recap it, he made the decision that he was going to put it in his nicer system and take the PSU from the nicer system and put it in this broken HP (which, hopefully, won't be broken once the Enermax is recapped).

Do they talk about mods to fix that heat problem anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                      I'd say on par with japanese caps.

What about those 3300/16 D10, wanna? AFAIK nobody else carries those. And I also have some samples of 390/400
                                      No, I was able to get them from Mouser.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...lNsvGkkgnc0%3d

Who makes the 390uF 400Vs that you have? You're from another country, right? I bet that'd take a long time to get here. Things overseas almost always take forever. I'm from the states.

Comment

Originally posted by rhomanski View Post
                                        Maybe it was Newark. It was the one affiliated with Farnell's. I think they told me they were owned by Farnell's so that would be Newark I guess.

At any rate it was six years ago and I found only Epcos and Panasonic making a 77mm cap of that voltage and capacitance. The original was 80 volts but no one made an 80 volt in that diameter. I could have changed out the metal mounting ring but instead just bumped it up in voltage. The original was 95mm tall and the replacement was 100mm. It just barely fit. I couldn't find anyone that carried the Panasonic, I only found it, on the Panasonic website.

I just checked and found some that might work and they are only $50 to $80. I would be worried 105mm might be too tall and I wouldn't be able to get the top screwed down without a bulge. Maybe I could though. Luckily the ones I found then barely fit, but they do fit just fine. It's been six years since I overhauled it and it works fine and still sounds better than anything I have ever heard before. That's why it's my favorite amp. I have more that are almost as good but none as good.

http://www.digikey.com/products/en/c...=0&pageSize=25 .
                                        My friend Jay is like you, one of those musicians. He plays the keyboard sometimes, the bass sometimes, drums sometimes, but mainly, he's a guitar man. He's got guitars that costs a couple grand! They're insane looking. Some are electric and they have kinda like F holes in the side.

Anyway, he had something he called a stack. I think it was an amp. But the controls he said were never right. He couldn't get good sound out of it and traded it to Josh for some other one. I can figure out what names they were. I remember Peevy, but I don't know if that was it. I remember Marshal, but I don't remember if that was it. I know I fixed an old amp of his not too long ago, something called a Pignose. The tubes needed replacing. There's a potentiometer that needs replacing as well, but this thing is old and I doubt I'd be able to find the same pot.

Do replacing the capacitors in those amps with high quality ones generally make them sound much better?

Comment

Working...
                                        X