Changing HDMI displays can change your default audio device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing HDMI displays can change your default audio device

Unlike DVI, HDMI can also carry digital audio, and when I changed a display using the HDMI input on a connected PC, the default audio playback device changed to the display under Windows 10 - this happened on changing a display to one without any audio output including headphone, and certainly on one with a headphone output and/or inbuilt speakers.

So no audio on changing your display? Check the default audio playback device selection.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Changing HDMI displays can change your default audio device

...IF audio via HDMI is enabled and the HDMI cable is the right one. Not all HDMI cables carry audio.

Comment

Re: Changing HDMI displays can change your default audio device

Originally posted by CapLeaker View Post
      ...IF audio via HDMI is enabled and the HDMI cable is the right one. Not all HDMI cables carry audio.
      Audio and video is carried on the TMDS lines on the HDMI interface and the data stream has ID filters; the other lines (CEC, DDC, Ethernet, Hot Plug Detect) are not used for audio.
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Working...
      X