Channel Vision CVT-2/8 PIAII cable amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Channel Vision CVT-2/8 PIAII cable amp

My whole house video amp has conked out. It works for a while then quits. When it does the LED goes out. So I opened it up to see what I can see. There are three 'STONE' brand 'lytics (2x 100uf and 1x 10uf). They are a bad brand but read ok with a capacitance meter. I would just shotgun some new ones but It seems this board won't come out without un-soldering all of the connectors (I removed all the screws but it wasn't budging.

So I looked at it some more and the 4 pin SMD transistor looking thing with the markings "DL 28" looked a little suspect. I thought maybe it was just a bad solder joint so I touched it up and the amp came back to life. So I left it plugged in on the bench but when I came back after a while the LED was out again. So in looking at it some more, it looks like it got hot and touching it confirms this suspicion. It has a steady 12v going into it but the output is fluctuating. When it is working, 9v is coming out and feeding down to the LED and the row of 5 more SMD transistors above the two 'lytics.

So this seems like it could still be a easy fix if I could find a replacement for that flaky transistor. I have some chipquik so I think I could pull off replacing it.

Any thoughts? How would I track down an equivalent part on digikey?
    Attached Files

Re: Channel Vision CVT-2/8 PIAII cable amp

Ok so if the failed part is just acting as a voltage regulator to take 12v down to 9v... Is there any reason why I couldn't just replace it with something like this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...711-ND/1828604

A 12v to 9v regulator. I seems like it would fit in there without too much trouble.

Comment

Are you sure it says DL 28 The tables I have looked at dont have a DL
      and the 28 could be ZB Can you try cleaning it up and checking.
      Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
      http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Its definitely "DL 28" It has "FF" inside the small circle in the middle. It is a SOT-89 package: 4.5mm x 2.5mm x 1.5mm. Looking at it with the tab on top it matches with the pin-out of another transistor data sheet where pin 1 was gate, pin 2 was drain, and pin 3 was source.

Comment

I went and looked at the one installed at my parents house. It is identical except a few years newer. It has Jackon caps instead of STONE. The device in question on that one is labeled "DL 5Y" if that helps any. I really want to fix this sucker. Any ideas on how to narrow down the search for this part?
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello Bluto.
            The DL part code looks up as a 2SB798, a PNP transistor (The 28 & 5Y are date codes). The transistor driving it, L6, looks up as a 2SC1623A, a NPN transistor.
            If the DL/2SB798 is heating up, there may also be a short somewhere on the output.

2SB798 datasheet
            Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!

Comment

Thanks Reverend! It looks like it is an obsolete part but still available in a few places.

Comment

Working...
              X